In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dead People Get Stimulus Checks

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
This week, thousands of people are getting stimulus checks in the mail. The problem is that a lot of them are dead. A Long Island woman was shocked when she checked the mail and received a letter from the U.S. Treasury -- but it wasn't for her.

Antoniette Santopadre of Valley Stream was expecting a $250 stimulus check. But when her son finally opened it, they saw that the check was made out to her father, Romolo Romonini, who died in Italy 34 years ago. He'd been a U.S. citizen when he left for Italy in 1933, but only returned to the United States for a seven-month visit in 1969.

The Santopadres are not alone. The Social Security Administration, which sent out 52 million checks, says that some of those checks mistakenly went to dead people because the agency had no record of their death. That amounts to between 8,000 and 10,000 checks for millions of dollars.

The feds blame a rushed schedule, because all the checks have to be cut by June. The strange thing is, some of the checks were made out to people -- like Romonini -- who were never even part of the Social Security system.
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/your_money/consumer/090514_Dead_People_Get_Stimulus_Checks

Comments

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess they could have learned something from my grandmother her favorite saying was haste makes waste
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tommyjoe
    Everything in DC nowadays is hurry up hurry up, nobody is reading anything, maybe because the iliterate ba$tards can't read.
    Tom

But they do know how to collect a pay check![:(!]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you expect from this bunch of clowns we have running the circus?

No problem though,.....it isn't their money that is being wasted.[xx(]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spending money is what it is all about

they don't care who does or doesn't get the money as long as it looks spent it is spent

It's not like they are really spending physical money they have yet to print it.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    oh crap, they just exposed how the fed creates a bond off of your birth certificate or legal fiction created by citizenship.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...The feds have been studying Chicago politics, where the dead have voted for decades. Guess they're finally learning how things are done here in Illinois....[xx(]
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    This week, thousands of people are getting stimulus checks in the mail. The problem is that a lot of them are dead. A Long Island woman was shocked when she checked the mail and received a letter from the U.S. Treasury -- but it wasn't for her.

Antoniette Santopadre of Valley Stream was expecting a $250 stimulus check. But when her son finally opened it, they saw that the check was made out to her father, Romolo Romonini, who died in Italy 34 years ago. He'd been a U.S. citizen when he left for Italy in 1933, but only returned to the United States for a seven-month visit in 1969.
    The Santopadres are not alone. The Social Security Administration, which sent out 52 million checks, says that some of those checks mistakenly went to dead people because the agency had no record of their death. That amounts to between 8,000 and 10,000 checks for millions of dollars.

The feds blame a rushed schedule, because all the checks have to be cut by June. The strange thing is, some of the checks were made out to people -- like Romonini -- who were never even part of the Social Security system.
    http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/your_money/consumer/090514_Dead_People_Get_Stimulus_Checks

[:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp
    Spending money is what it is all about

they don't care who does or doesn't get the money as long as it looks spent it is spent

It's not like they are really spending physical money they have yet to print it.

Precisely!

I've been in social services a number of years, and coming up to the end of the fiscal year, there is always the push to spend as much money as we can, to demonstrate our need.

Wait a second! We're under budget? Isn't that a good thing?

Dang! I wish I could run my household like that!
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they take the effort to crawl out of their grave to vote I believe a stimulus payment is the least we can do to keep them on their feet.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would give $$$$$ to have my dad back!