In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Smoker

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
...I want to purchase a BBQ type smoker,one that I can smoke fish on.I was brought up with the old country types that had a small room with a fire pit,but want something modern and that can use propane or electric for heat source...Home use only...any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    i made a really decent smoker from an old upright freezer, it only took about two hours.
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    i made my own.

But I also acquired an electric smoker by brinkman. Its one of those round inline ones. Has a heating element in the bottom that you place chips around. Its ok for what it is. Cant adjust the temp though
  • Options
    SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A local guy has one made out of Stainles St. industrial freezer on wheels, Man thats good meat.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    The best IMO is the box type electric kind. Very controllable.
  • Options
    NEIAPredatorNEIAPredator Member Posts: 1,443
    edited November -1
    www.traegergrills.com

That is all that has to be said.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I have one w/a firebox on one end that can be used for grillin steaks .The other side is much bigger and used for indirect heat or cold smoking.
    Wood or charcoal fired.
  • Options
    17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 17tobyracing
    The Big Green Egg...

http://www.biggreenegg.com/
    Thsoe things are awesome.
  • Options
    17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    quote:Originally posted by 17tobyracing
    The Big Green Egg...

http://www.biggreenegg.com/
    Thsoe things are awesome.

Too bad their price isn't...awesome!

Think BIG $$...then add a zero or two.

Yes, fairly pricey, but you'll never have to buy another one. They are much better than the tin junk you'll most likely encounter in the market place and their customer service is second to none. My dad has had his since 1978, it is well used and still going strong. We have had ours for 12 years with no complaints. High price considered, if you are a hardcore BBQ and smoker guy, it is worth the $$$.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    The best IMO is the box type electric kind. Very controllable.

I agree. I bought an electric smoker from Basspro for $129 and it works great. It has a rheostat for controlling the temps. I put an old skillet in it to catch drips. Here is a pic of a pork shoulder I smoked on it. I also do deer hams wrapped in bacon. Meat falls off the bone.
    smokem.jpg
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Brinkman. I like it.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good smoker will have an off set fire box so that the meat is cooked by indirect heat.

A cooker that rest the meat directly over the heat source will tend to cook too fast.

The best design would be a set up where you have a dropped heat box on one side of the smoker, the meat box higher to one side of the fire box, and the chimney or vent to the far opposite side of the meat box away from the firebox. This ensures that the heat & smoke will pass through and over the meat before exiting the stove.

Smoked meats are best if cooked at low temperatures for longer periods of time, "Low & Slow" is the name of the game.[:p]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    I have a Brinkman. I like it.

Me, too. Not fancy, but it has done the job for 20 years. Tree landing on it didn't do it any good, though.
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    I think you're absolutely right, Trinity. But, when I've considered buying a smoker, I really can't step-up to the size of said smoker.

However, I have to tell ya, it does sound fun to have a smoker, such as you have suggested.

I've watched a few BBQ competitions, and they use smokers as you described.

Looks like, if you do it correctly, that you'll arrive at a great place. But, considering that it's a long affair, there's so much to go wrong; if you don't know what you're doing, like me. [:D]
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oso2142
    Looks like, if you do it correctly, that you'll arrive at a great place. But, considering that it's a long affair, there's so much to go wrong; if you don't know what you're doing, like me. [:D]

Are you talking about sex or smoking? Don
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't smoke til after sex
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oso2122,

There are several smokers like the ones I described that will run around $200.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    Oso2122,

There are several smokers like the ones I described that will run around $200.

Trinity +++

Oh, cost is not an issue. [:)]

I'll keep my eyes out for something that will work, perhaps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not talking about a big competition style smoker. I'm referring to a smaller home use type.

Check out New Braunfels Smoker products which are now produced at the main plant of Char-Broil in GA.

Do a google image search on New Braunfels Smokers & you will see several pictures of a really nice smoker like what I was speaking of that usually can be found on sale for under $300. I got two for under $200 each, but that was several years back.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Offst smoker. Don

IMG_2178.jpg
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had them all. Personally I like dedicated electric smokers for smoking fish, making beef jerky, smoking cheese etc.