In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mechanics are high dollar

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2006 in General Discussion
Called yesterday to see what a pair of front shocks ( heavy duty Monroes ) would cost to install on my F-150. Quote was $200 bucks.
I went to Autozone and bought them this morning.. Same shocks for $45.00 bucks for the pair and put them on myself in 45 min. Thing .. I know the job was done right.

GW.. The part time mechanic

Comments

• Options
    Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you take it to the shop it will end up costing you more, we do everything, its fun sometimes too, i like wrenching on stuff, its all good, its not too hard to change a pair of shocks
  • Options
    Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wrenches need to make a living too.
  • Options
    Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we take things to mechanics, but not expensive stuff, because its actully easy, if we dont feel like doing it, well take it to the shop.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    When you get into the electronic issues with the new SUVs and Computer problems they got you by the shorthairs.

The components are off the charts expensive and the shop rate is as high as a expensive lawyer nowdays. Easy to spend 2K for a minor problem. The joys of American autos.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do my own stuff if I have the facilities and/or the tools to do the job.

I own a repair manual on all of my vehicles and am pretty handy spinning wrenches.
  • Options
    Mr CoolMr Cool Member Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    around here the ford dealer charges $90 an hour and low end mechanics charge abou $50.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I recently had my oil changed. That I let the mechanic due usually; $15 vs. perhaps $10 if I did it myself, I'll live with.

While there, he pointed out I could use a new serpentine belt. (93 Tempo). Sure enough, the belt was a bit threadbare, cracked, no chips, but definitely nearing its end. So I asked how much to put in the new belt? "$150" said he.

Yeah, right. $19 at Autozone and a bloody knuckle and about an hour of time spent threading a belt onto some very hard to reach pulleys got the job done. Oh, and a little help from dad for holding down the tensioner. I'll take a bloody knuckle and an hour over spending an extra $130 any day.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Thats the way it goes. Parts are no longer the expensive part of owning a vehicle is always the labor
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But ya know....the poor techs aren't the ones making the money. It's going into the pockets of the dealer principal to make his wife's QVC payments or whatever.

And, (like everywhere else I suppose), the boss doesn't want to pay anything for labor. He'd rather hire four parts changers instead of one good tech. And really good ones are rare.

So why worry about "what's this going to pay, is this a warranty job," and dealing with an inept service manager while the parts changers get paid hourly to stand and watch?

OK,rant over. Thanks for listening.
    -tomh. with a garage full of dusty SnapOn tools and driving a truck for a living!
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chrishiher
    Thats the way it goes. Parts are no longer the expensive part of owning a vehicle is always the labor
    Compare that to the cost of living! When minimum wage is $6 or $6.50 an hour ... where does that put skilled labor with tools, workspace, insurance, taxes, education ...

Remember when bread was 25 cents a loaf? Now its over $3 ... The baker, the carpenter and mechanic all want to live in a nice house, drive a nice car, take his girl to dinner and a movie just like anyone else!
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I know the job was done right.
    Thats why people pay me $120 an hour for welding services that THEY tried to do[:D] But I hear ya!