In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mexico - WARNING

airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2002 in General Discussion
Last week was in San Diego. Had a free afternoon so a couple of us decided to take the train to Tijuana, Mexico. On the way out of Mexico you now have to pass through a metal detector and pass all packages through an X-ray, just like boarding an airplane.

Being an individual that always carries a pocket knife I was stopped for carrying a concealed weapon, my 3.0 inch pocket knife. After being stopped and instructed that any knife with a blade over 2.5 inches is considered a concealed weapon my knife was confiscated and I had to fill out a Voluntary Surrender form, and surrender my knife. Yes, this was on the Mexican side just prior to going through U.S. Customs.

So anyone thinking about crossing the border into Mexico "BE AWARE" if you have any knife over 2.5 inches do not take it to Mexico if you plan on coming back to the USA and being able to keep it.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze

Comments

• Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats getting pretty darn bad I could do as much damage with a 2in blade as I could witha three inch.I hate you lost your knife,probably to some Mexican who is likely carrying it in his front pocket laughing about takeing it away from some American.

Best!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was born in San Diego California. At one time, long ago, it was a nice place to live. In addition to California law San Diego has it's own laws concerning knifes. Partly it is because in the past it was possible to by bucket loads of knifes (mostly switchblades)real cheap and bring them into San Diego. Partly it is the liberal mentality. You may be lucky you were stopped in Mexico and not San Diego county.

Raymond Dennis
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lesson No. 2)
    Never go back to that stinking town they call Tijuana.
  • Options
    sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya can't take a knife into a bar in South Dakota either. I learned that the hard way in Rapid City during the Sturgis Rally a few years back! I was at the lounge at the Howard Johnsons, a coupla Rapid City's finest walked in, and just to prove that I got stupid when I used to drink, I yelled "Hey look,,C.H.I.P.S.!" They saw no humor in that, took me outside and convinced me that my Uncle Buck had me about two shakes from a night in the Rapid City Bar Hotel. They were cool though, told me I could keep the knife if I would take it up to my room. I think I said the word "SIR" 187 times during that 15 minutes with those nice police officers.

"Just my opinion."
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Sodbuster- You said "Sir" an average of 20.7777777777777777777777777777778 times per each officer?? There ought to be an award for that alone!

I learned my lesson back in 1993 when I took a new soldier from my platoon to Nuevo Laredo for a 4-day weekend. Seems that drinking and chasing women weren't enough for the lad, he had to start a pushing match with a few locals. I thought we got out of there just in time when the local PD arrived & grabbed him (us) up. I had to pay a "fine" of about $250.00 there on the spot to "bail" him out. Never went back to Mexico ever again.

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone is getting a biggggg knife collection......

JD

400 million cows can't be wrong ( EAT GRASS !!! )
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    airborne,
    Last week my son was in San Diego to give a presentation at the Navy base. He got done early so he decided to stop at an ATM and get some extra cash and eat out at a nice place. Just as the cash fell two skinny kids asked him if he knew what day it was? He always carries a good knife and he said he had one hand on his cash and one on the knife. He said just about instantly two big tatooed guys came busting out of a nearby door and grabbed those kid and beat them bad. It seems that the two kids had tried to rob the tatoo parlor the week before. If it had happened in my son's home state they wouldn't have been facing a knife.

As for Tijauna, my late grandfather was an Austrian who got his citizenship in the marines. He was based in or around Southern Calif. for years and wouldn't go near Tijauna. He always said people treated it to casually going to a foreign country. When you were there you are held to their laws.

I was there several times in the 50's and you could get a cheap bone handeled switch blade for $1.50. I think my mom threw mine away.

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

To the stars through difficulties
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in Tijuana in the late 70's could have brought back "bucket loads" of switchblades too. Didn't want to take the chance on the U.S. side. It was a stinking town then and I am sure it has not gotten any better.

If I knew then, what I know now.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Another good reason to stay on this side.

Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    It was a sewer in the mid 60's also. I wouldn't go back there for anything!

We wasted a good weekend pass from Camp Pendleton to have hawkers pros and every other "thing" coming at us.

[I have admit tho, the gal on stage really knew how to pick up that beer bottle!]
  • Options
    BuckshotBuckshot Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ALLENDAN--she must have trained in the Phillipines...but "Only the Shadow Knows."