In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why Do You Collect Guns?

RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2002 in General Discussion
Years ago, as a young man starting out in life I found it extremely difficult and most of the time impossible to save any money. Not that it was due to the fact that I had a "real crappy job" and a Wife and Child. It was that I just had a "crappy job." Hahahahaha!

Somehow or another, I found I could "layaway" a gun at the local Gunshop, pay on it each payday, and finally take it home. When we needed money, I could take it to the Pawn Shop and get a loan. In the meantime, I was able to enjoy owning something I enjoyed using in my spare time. As income increased over the years, (partially due to getting rid of the crappy job), I no longer pawned my gun(s), but I still continued to "layaway" on a regular basis. Of course, there were more expenses as time went on; more calibers of ammo, gun cases, gun safe, etc. End result after quite a few years.....nice collection! How about you? Why do you, or Why did you start collecting guns?

Fish Shudder at the sound of my Name!

Comments

• Options
    IowaShooterIowaShooter Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why does my wife collect birdhouses?
    We gotta have stuff! (With a nod to George Carlin.)
    Might as well be stuff with historic, political, and personal signifigance.
    IMHO
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Don't know for sure. Remember the first eight. After that the bank account walked out and about thirty more toys walked in. Woke up one morning and had a locker full of 'em. Unexplained phenomenon I guess...[;)]
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I use the same lay away policy much to Maboogers dismay! I collect guns mainly because I enjoy it and it's addicting, just like this site![:D]

kilroy.gif
    PaBooger was here!
    pa.gif
  • Options
    hobbisthobbist Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no idea but I like it.
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    I was introduced to guns at the ripe old age of 5. That's when I first went hunting with my Dad. I had learning disabilities, but, by reading all the gun books, they figured I was doing myself some good. When I got out of college and on my own, I got back into them in a big way. I worked in a restaurant/bar as manager and carried different pieces depending on time of year and uniform worn.
    When I proposed to my wife I told her the ONLY mistress I'd ever have would be my guns and hunting...if she could live with that, her lipstick would be all she'd ever find on me (that was 28 yrs ago). Now she has several of her own and looks each piece I bring home over to see how she likes them (I created a monster)!
    Over the years, I've bought, sold some to pay bills, bought others and now am thinking about buying a bunch more - if I can sell my old harley - but thats' another whole story.
    I like the mechanics of good wood and metal work, I enjoy a good fit that is accurate, I like the recoil and report of a BIG caliber and I enjoy tearing them down and using cotton swabs to clean even the smallest little recess and I enjoy rolling my own.
    I'm just another individual who enjoys the finer things in life!
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cannons take up to much room in the House. firedevil.gif

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barbie Dolls aren't macho enough.[}:)]
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    quote:Cannons take up to much room in the House
    Get a bigger house, I have a couple here! Love to wake up the neighbors at 2 in the morning, with a big boom. Nothin like the smell of black powder in the morning!!![:D][:D]

kilroy.gif
    PaBooger was here!
    pa.gif
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Innate love is hard to explain.
    I really prefer older guns, I see/feel stories in the dents and dings. The worn wood where the hands fit, knowing they were carried in the heat as well as cold.
    Nothing wrong with shiny, those NIB's are pretty too. But repeatedly say, virgin guns are like old maids except the guns are prettier to look at.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pabooger;

Black Powder in the Morning?
    You can't even get up early enough to make Black Coffee let alone Black Powder! [:D][8D][:D][8D][^]

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because happiness is a warm gun. A gun is a practical functioning work of art that provides enjoyment and security.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.<BR>
  • Options
    Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, keeps me out of the bars. The county I live in is in the Guiness book for the most bars per square block, or something like that. Lay-a-way is a big downfall of mine too. "I don't collect guns, I am a member of the 'Gun of the Month Club', the only problem is I am the only member so the dues are a lot higher." That usually gets people off my back about it.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.

If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
  • Options
    scottfscottf Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, after buying and selling over the years i usually would keep one for self defense. but after i bought my pair of 1851 colt navies, for some odd reason i wanted more. i guess we all have to have some kind of hobby. i still own the pair of 1851's and now a norinco sks. i figure i will buy a rossi .357 a ruger 40 cal. and a mossberg 500 next year and i might be satisfied, as i should have all the bases covered for self defense [:D]
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Waking up early in the morning and tenderly taking each one from it's concealed hiding place. This may be from under a floor joist or ceiling tile or even a remote and secret hole in the woods under a fallen tree or rock outcroping. Looking at it while contemplating your next chess like move.

In truth I guess it all started with the first song bird at age 9. It's life ended with the ssssssst of my Red Rider. Whatever the reason, I love those guns.

HALT! CEASE! NO MORE! JUST JOKING HERE FBI. JUST A LITTLE CIA HUMOR AND NOTHING ELSE. It did all start with my dad's Crossman that shot BB's, pellets, and these red flumed darts.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grew up hunting with the very basic of guns (12ga & .22 rifle), as the kids came along we got into competitive shooting....couldn't compete with those box stock hunting pieces, so began to acquire specialty firearms. After the competitive phase ended started buying nicer hunting tools for the kids and myself....before long we had a "collection". I now prefer the upper end investment guns...enjoy the historical and quality machine work on a nice gun, especially precision machining.

No plans to someday sell or cash them in.....probably just pass them down to the boys as intangable assets.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid I wanted a 62A Winchester badly. Money at our house went for shoes and clothes.

I've made up for that now. I also like the old guns and would like to know their history. There is some kind of a good feeling to shoot a well kept 80-100 year old gun.

Now why I have bought some of the mil-surp that I have, I have no idea?

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    TLynnTLynn Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because I can?

Because I look at each handgun or rifle as a work of art?

or

Because I just like it when they go bang?

You guys choose!
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I am not sure.I think it is a sexual thing.Maybe i was molested by a priest when i was young.Besides,its better than wasting my money paying bills.
  • Options
    Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello again, also to keep the "bad people" from getting them. We all know how dangerous a single shot .22 is when in the hands of the "bad people".

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.

If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Careful TLynn, you'll give credence to that old addage about gals having a difficult time making up their mind....(wink), good to see you posting again.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RP,

Many fun answers to your question. I had to wait for a collection. My oldest son would have killed my wife and I if I would have had anything in the house. This isn't a joke. Those days (years) have passed now. I've always had an interest. Anything mechanical is an interest to me. I startd reading mags about 5 years ago. I started buying about 3 years ago. I'm into obscure pieces as well as the more common. I have a large (for me) collection by now and love it. Some day, I hope, if I have purchased right, my youngest son will have something somewhat valuable. I consider this a hobby. My wife calls it an obsession!

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    armed_ femalearmed_ female Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ditto what TLynn said...BECAUSE I CAN!! and just in case there is another revolution..like the boy scouts..always be prepared!! LOL[:0]

come_and_take_it.jpg

SGT RRG

Abilene Regional Director
    Armed Females of America

Gun Control is Hitting Your Target!
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that someday (when I am old and gray--not the same as "silver") I will regret not purchasing more military surplus firearms. My Ithaca 37 will always be my pride and joy. It was the first gun I bought after having to sell all of my handguns before being stationed in the Peoples Republik of New York. My Ithaca was almost like being "born again". I haven't worked it out much on clays or birds but it singifies the point in my life where I really started learning a thing or two about guns. The guns that I had purchased prior to the Ithaca were purchased "just because" and had no real knowledge about firearms except how to zero and shoot an M-16. That's a funny thing. You'd be surprised at how many members of our military really have no clue about guns beyond zeroing and shooting the M-16. After the Ithaca everything else was purchased to fill some sort of niche. I needed a bolt-action rifle chambered for a versatile caliber so I purchased the .270. I needed an inexpensive plinker so I bought the Remington 597 (which has only jammed once after a few thousand rounds and that was due to lack of lubrication and fouling). I needed a .410 just because I like shotguns so I got an inxpensive SXS. I wanted a "battle rifle" because the gov't doesn't want me having them so I got a thumb-hole stock SKS that accepts AK-47 magazines. I wanted something in the venerable .45 ACP and I love SIGs so I bought the P-220. I wanted something a bit more concealable for the time that I actually move back to a place where I can get a CCW so I picked up the Glock 23. The first pistol I ever fired was the Beretta 21 in .22 LR so I bought one in stainless just for nostalgia's sake. All of those guns fill niches comfortably. The last "niche" that I need to fill is the blackpowder niche because there is no modern rifle season here in Iowa for whitetail. That's why there's a T/C Omega on layaway at a local sporting goods store. After that, all purchases will be "because I want one". Many other guns have come and gone. Those were "just because" guns that I bought for one reason or another or just needed an excuse to buy one. Now that every "niche" is filled for which I have a foreseeable need I plan on buying unique guns or guns that just need a home where quality craftsmanship and beauty is appreciated.
  • Options
    Rob GreeneRob Greene Member Posts: 102 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I collect coins, too. The only problem is, if someone breaks into my home and threatens me, throwing coins at them just won't cut the mustard! Seriously, I just like firearms. When you appreciate something, you just have the desire to collect it. Unfortunately, my Wife doesn't want me collecting beautiful women other than her, so I guess firearms will have to do!

**It is your right to posess a firearm. In case of questions, please refer to amendment 2, United States Constitution.**
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, I don't collect guns.

But since I grew up doing a LOT of shooting, hunting and reloading with my brother and father, I kind of like the idea of having a few firearms that I enjoy shooting and taking hunting when I get a chance. I've enjoyed introducing some others to hunting and shooting.

Also, this hobby puts me into contact with people (like y'al [8D]) which is what I really enjoy![:D]

Ken
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't so much "collect" as "accumulate"--although I don't spend money, on my hobby or otherwise, that I don't have--debt is no way to get ahead in life.

The attraction to firearms is a mix of love of mechanical things--I love nearly all tools--and a "defensive mindset".

Being "picked-on" by bullies in grade school taught me that there are some "just plain mean" people in this world.

I get a feeling of "safety" in owning firearms; I know I don't have to rely on "brute physical strength" to protect myself from those who might try to take away my life, property, or liberty.

And that's why I'm always extemely concerned about those who attempt to restrict or prohibit my ownership/possession of guns. I'm left wondering, exactly what is it that that they want to do to me that they want me unarmed?

• Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    I have always been obsessed with guns. Dad gave me a 10/22 on my twelfth birthday and I have been hooked ever since. I love the feel of a rifle in my hands, the smell of burning powder, the competition among friends for the biggest and the best, and the thrill of hitting a bullseye over and over again. It all fuels my passion for the sport. The more the better!
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my father owned guns. his father owned guns, his fathers father owned guns... back over 200 years. my uncles all owned guns, or had served in the military. my mothers father owned guns. i was raised in a gun owning household, and all my relatives came from gun owning households.

i was peripheraly aware of the firearms in the house, but had little or no intrest in them. i had been to the range a few times with my father, but it made no impression. when i joined the scouts, our troop went to camp lenape. it was there that i shot with my father, did well, and was hooked for life.

at 9 years old there was a singlt stoke, break open hi score pellet gun under the x-mas tree. my father taught me safe gun handling, and we worked through the NRA shooting program and i graduley climbed the ladder of achievment.

i joined the NRA junior program at our local range( www.delranjuniormarkman.com ) and found that i had a natural ability to shoot almost any rifle. i graduated from 5 and 10 meter air rifle to 50yd and 100yd smallbore rifle. i tried my hand at air rifle sillouette, and smallboer sillouette. i moved up to DCM/CMP shoots, and highpower rifle matches.

i copeted at the local, state, regional, national, and international level. i spent some time at the UNITED STATES OLYMPIC TRAINING CENTER. were i was out of my leauge.

i attended NRA conventions and gunshows with my father. we collected cartridges, and other shooting ephemera together. i became an NRA CERTIFIED INSTUCTOR in about 10 disciplines. i became a range officer and board member at the gun club. i earned awards and accolades.

i now shoot mostly for fun. i try to pass on what i know to the kids at our range. i work part time a the local gun store (WALTS RELOADING) were i find "great buys" all the time. i post items for sale on GB.

shooting sports, and firearms are an important part of my life. i hope to pass these skills, and this lifestyle/heritage to my childern one day(i have no kids).

i still have that old hi-score pellet gun in my collection. i will never part with it.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It all started when I realized that Bill Clinton and Governor Glendening did't want me to own guns.
  • Options
    Dave3Dave3 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's like I tell my girlfriend "They are like shoe's each one has a different job." Some are for Quail, some are for pheasants, one is for rabbits one for coyote out to 100 yards one for coyote out to 400 yards one for coyote over 400 yards. One for wood chucks some for looking at some for this and some for that. Each one is a piece of history.

"Protect the Right to Protect yourself"
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I often contemplate why I enjoy guns so much. I grew up in the 1950s when westerns were the usual fare at the Saturday afternoon movies (Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, etc.) and on early television. I shot my father's guns and enjoyed it. I was always disappointed that the toy guns I had did not look "real." (I had a cap gun that was a very good likeness of a Colt Model M, the Hammerless .32/.380, and I think that may have been the beginning of my love of Colts. A Model M was the first collector Colt I bought when I had money.)

When the Ruger Single Six came out, I wanted one because it looked like a "Cowboy Revolver" and for a Marlin 39A Mountie because it looked like a "Cowboy Rifle." (I knew that I could not afford to shoot a centerfire and would have to have a rimfire to do any amount of shooting. I also associated any "big" gun with the recoil of my grandfather's L. C. Smith 12-guage when I first fired it as a young boy and got a badly brused cheek bone. I was afraid of "big" guns for years thereafter. I think I still flinch from that experience!) I earned both in due time.

I dry-fired the Single Six ("fast" draw!) so much, the hammer spur fell off! (Ruger sent a replacement and I installed it, one of my first "gunsmithing" jobs.) The Marlin would break its firing pin if dry-fired, which was another 'smithing job. Then I thought a Ruger Mark I 5 1/4-inch looked a lot like my sister's father-in-law's Luger (even sounded the same) so I earned one of those. Then I thought a High Standard Sentinel looked a lot like a "real" gun the local law had, and did not cost much even then, so I earned one of those. Then I wanted a semi-automatic that would shoot shorts, so earned a Remington M552. Then I needed a 12-guage shotgun and the Remington Model 58 caught my eye. By age 13 or so, I already had a "collection." I continued to add to it the rest of my life, and I now have quite a few.

I had a WWII M1911A1 for a number of years before I decided I should look into commercial Colts. I then developed an expanded interest in Colts when I discovered just how incredible the variety of Pre-War guns is, and how well they are made. Then I realized Smith & Wessons have even more Pre-War and Post-War variety and I just could not resist them. Still, somehow, I have about twice as many Colts as Smiths.

As a poor college student, I could not afford any new guns, but when I got into the Army and began to earn some money, I began to buy. (I bought a Second Generation Single Action Army 4 3/4-inch at the PX in Fort Lee, Virginia, for a little over $100 as I recall. [TDY money!] I have never fired it.) When I got out of the Army, I continued to buy. I have not always been able to afford it, but I have tried to follow the law of "one gun a month." Oh, that is not what that law means? Sorry.

A big part of the attraction of guns has to be the power they give you. It is God-like to be able to point your finger (the gun) at something far away and "smite" it. It is also part of the attraction that some do not want us to have them. We all want what we cannot have. That is why we like Pre-Ban "assault rifles" more than the almost identical "Post-Ban" rifles.

We justify our addiction by saying our guns appreciate, which they do, but that is usually not why we buy. As an investment, some (like a new SAA for around $100) have been good investments, outpacing inflation. Others, particularly new guns, have not. Still, the value of the pleasure makes even those depreciating new guns worthwhile.

I have always liked machines of all kinds. (And I think they like me!) My mother had a time with me from a very young age of taking things apart. Guns, cars, boats, airplanes, tractors, machinery of all kinds, etc.. I love it all.

All collectors of anything probably share the same attraction of accumulating something, often based on an attraction that began in childhood. The search, the find, the study, the education, the bargain, the mistake, the missed bargain, the regretted sale, the good trade, the bad trade, etc., all are part of the addiction of collecting.

Meeting like-minded gun lovers on these boards has added to the enjoyment I get from guns. For that, I thank you all.

I guess the only answer I can give is that I just like them. (And I think they like me!)
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    I'm on a quest to harvest as many heads of big game with as many different firearm/cartridge combinations I can get my hands on. Looks like 50 BMG is now in the works with the trade I'm working on for the AMAC.

AlleninAlaska

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
    -- Thomas Paine
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mans' best technical efforts always went into weaponry. Who can't appreciate highly crafted metalwork-and they go bang besides. That isn't to say I can't appreciate a well thought out, efficient, stamped
    gun that never fails or a beautifully machined dud of a gun with fatal flaws.
    It's funny how we go back and acquire the guns we admired as kids.I got em all except a Daisy Red Ryder saddle ring carbine with leather thong on the ring.
    To quote a a gun show dealer who turned me on to Remington 25s: "This gun collecting thing is a desease." When I see todays' values on some of the guns I sold or traded off I become sicker.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ummm.. I only have two guns of my own. Does that count as a "collection"??

Why do I collect, if these two guns are indeed a collection?

Cuz I hate those damn liberals who try to steal me guns, and I hate animal rights people. Anything to make those two groups mad is fun for me.

rifle.jpg
  • Options
    snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    What else is there to invest in- the Stock Market?

Let's change the laws and quit bickering about them. One man CAN change the status quo.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own the tools of my trade. I use them for their intended purpose. If at some time they increase in value then I guess that is an investment of sorts. I have put more than 10,000 rounds each through some of my rifles....Why does a carpenter have more than one hammer?....Pretty simple to me...we are all shooters here and we appreciate the tools of our trade. Beach
  • Options
    LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to shoot!
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't consider my group a collection. Like someone earlier said it is an accumulation. In the early days of marriage, I came in with
    4 guns-an inherited .22, a 6mm Remington, an 1100 and a Ruger .41 Mag.

Everytime I bought something, something else had to sell to finance. Thankfully, I no longer need to do that and over the last few years have greatly increased my collection. However, I feel I have all my bases covered right now (at least after this morning's auction win). So I still sell some of my guns if I feel like they are not being used enough. I then roll the money into something I think that I will use.

KC
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do it so that I can keep up wit my wife she has eight more fishing rigs and two more guns then me as well as more trophies then me.

SUPPORT SHOOTING AND RELOADING HELP TEACH OTHERS<P>
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I started collecting guns I guess because I was raised around them. My uncle and father had a gunsmith shop/gun store for as long as I can remember I've been around firearms. They've always been fun and never boring to me.