In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hussein creating a buffer zone

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited January 2003 in General Discussion
Gushtapa, Iraq-AP -- Iraq's Saddam Hussein is evicting people from a 20-mile-long stretch of land between Kurdish territory in northern Iraq and the rest of the country.

Leaders of the Kurdistan Democratic Party say Iraq appears to be creating some sort of buffer zone to defend against a U-S invasion.

Iraqi forces have expelled about 50 Kurdish families from the frontier in the past two weeks, forcing them to move to regions closer to Baghdad.

The Kurdistan Democratic party has controlled an area in northern Iraq since the Gulf War. The region is protected by American and British jets which patrol a no-fly zone.

M16-01.gif
Where there is no vision,the people perish!

Comments

• Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel deep sorrow for the people of Iraq (most of them) and particularly the Kurds and other minorities; they will be the ones who suffer the most when SH & his cronies go down. I can't imagine what SH thinks a 20 mile buffer zone will do for him, though. If we send bombers based in the continental USA as we did in Afghanistan, 20 miles is just another two minutes down the road and not much longer for our ground forces - hell, the Marines can spit that far! Think his military strategy is about ninety years out of date. Perhaps that's why the French like him so much - they have a lot in common in strategic thinking.
  • Options
    BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe he is planning a large mine field that might take us a few hours to take care of.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • Options
    sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe he's clearing an area to use chemical weapons against American troops. Though I can't imagine why he would worry about a couple dozen Kurds -- he never has in the past.