In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

GBs, hunters, & land owners in KY update!

jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I sent an e-mail to one of the state senators that co-sponcered the bill and he is my district senator. I voiced my displeasure with it and at him. My whole family campaigned for him and I reminded him of that. I have his home number and have talked with him a few times at home so I reminded him of that so he would remember who I was. I pointed out that it could lead to more poaching and more illegal drug activity as in planting pot patches! Here is his reply and I am hopeful as to it's content.
quote:James,

You make some good points that I had not considered. I understood the bill to protect the property owner from those who are on their property and may be injured and subject the property owner a lawsuit. I will reconsider my position. Thanks for you concerns.

R.J.

There is also hope on defeating this bill because the KY Beef Cattle Association is against it as well as KY Farm Bureau. Gov. Fletcher grew up near my home so if by chance it reaches his desk, I plan on calling him personally.

A mamber of our local Wild Turkey Federation Chapter is a member of the Anderson Co. Sportsman Club. Our chapter is The Blue Licks Long Beards!

For those of you that live in KY, own land in KY or just hunt in KY or any combo of the 3 need to take a look at the kentucky Senate Bill131 and House bill 512 HCS. Both are bills that admend to state law the right for a person who is hunting with a dog to enter your property without PERMISION to retreive their dog! They do not need proof that their dog is there and they could have turned their dog loose 10 miles down the road but still they can go on your property to look fo their dog. This is a serious matter concerning your landowner rights and gives people the chance to enter your property in the dead of night without your permission. They can be poaching, planting pot plants, or even stealing on the pretence that they are hunting their hunting dogs! You as a land owner will have no right to stop them! Read the bills at this sight:
http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/RECORD/04RS/3920.htm
and be sure tom read the HB 512 HCS. You can click on both SB131 and HB512 to viw the bills but on HB512 you need to click on HCS. Read them and if you disagree, contact your state senator and representive because both bill are out of committe.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Rita Mae Brown

Comments

• Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a tough thing, I'm on both sides of the fence on this one.

One I respect landowners and I hate tresspassers and poachers. But I also hunt houds and there is a major problem right now going on with folks stealing hounds, shooting hounds and refusing hunters permission to get dogs. One thing Hounds are not huntred on a leash and even the best top trained dog will hit a cold track and run it. When Rebel ran off on me a few monts ago he went 7 MILES! He was dropped deep in the state land and made it all the way out onto private ground. He hit a cold track and went, no stopping him. Only way to guarentee something like this doesnt happen is to outlaw hound hunting and that will never happen.

Two things here, one some hunters will cut a dog loose no matter where it is, this ticks off land owners, second, many folks don't like hound hunting because it is a violent hunt at times, the dogs catch a * they kill it. When hounds cross property lines they don't know they did it, they are hunting and they most times cannot be stopped, Landowners shoot these dogs, steal these dogs and then say the hunter was poaching deer. sometimes an unavoidable scene becomes very ugly because of an irrate landowner. I have walked in on farms late at night when the dog crossed the ridge, walked up leashed the dog and left, if a landowner sees my dog before me he may get shot. My dog knows no laws, he is trained to hunt and if he crosses a line I should be allowed to get him, someone shoots my hound for crossing a line there will be a war. Sue me, call the cops and have me fined for trespassing, I deserve that if i don't get you out of bed and ask, but you shoot my dog........................

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jjmitchell60...I'm with you on this. My wifes parents live in KY and own a 22 acre spread. I will let him know about this.

7mm...I don't follow your logic. Is it OK for you to let your hounds loose on public hunting land, and then if they cross over on my property, you can follow and shoot a * out of one of my trees? I don't think so! I would have no problem with someone coming and waking me up and asking permission, even if in the middle of the night. And I would grant the permission to retrieve the dog and harvest the game if treed on my property. But I better not catch anyone there, at night, with spotlights, shooting anything without my knowledge. Don't misunderstand me...I am not about to shoot somebodies hound either! I used to * hunt quite often, and recognize a good hound when I see one, and know the financial investment that can be tied up in a good hound. However, if slob hunters (AND I AM NOT INCLUDING YOU IN THAT DESCRIPTION!) can't take the time to ask permission to cross on private land, then they need to outlaw hound hunting. Where do your rights as a hunter end and my rights as a property owner begin?
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I can imagine I would be pretty upset if my dog got lost and I went and asked someone if they would mind if I looked for him on their property and was denied. I know if someone asked me if they could retrieve a dog off my property Id say no problem. Heck, I'd probably offer to help. On the other hand, if I was awaken to the sound of my dogs barking at an intruder who didn't make his intensions known and just went trapsing across my property they would be in for a rude awakening themselves. Maybe they should place a provision in their law to make it mandatory that the owner of the hound first ask for permission or at least inform the property owner of their intentions.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
    edited November -1
    W-M, it's not about that. Alot of times like here a dog will take us thru the woods onto posted ground and there will be no houses near by, now I could go back to the truck and drive where ever and by the time i get to where the dog was it may be gone.

I don't go for trespassing at all, thats why I said if I do it have me arrested, I deserve it. The problem is with landowners who will shoot the hounds for being there, I can look up the story if you wish, there was a case down south where a landowner shot a hound for being on his property, shot it dead. That landowner is in jail.

The trepassing is not the big problem, it is the mani folks who will refuse houd retreival, those who shoot the hounds and so on. Many top dollar dogs have been shot and stolen because landowners shoot them or steal them.

Like I said the only way to prevent that is to ban hound hunting, period, as long as hounds are hunted the dogs will trespass, no matter if you drop them 10 miles into state land a hound will find it's way to private ground sooner or later. Solution, ban hound hunting it's the only way and no I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious.

If a law allows unrestricted access to private property that is wrong, but there sould be laws that say if a landowner does not allow retreival of the dogs either by accompanying the dog owner or allowing him to get it then the landowner shold be liable for the dog if any harm comes to it. and to prevent that? Ban hound hunting.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    I let people * hunt on me if THEY TAKE TIME TO ASK but I do have a problem with poaching and pot growing going on on both my farms! If a person is truly * hunting and are ONLY retreiving their dog, call me, wake me up, come see me and I will unlock the gate and help you anyway I can. I have to replace gates on average every 2 years due to people without permission climbing them and rideing them down till the hinge breaks. You would be suprised how many do not know to climb a gate at the hinge end rather than in the middle or on the end that you open. The hinge end is the only end or part of the gate that has support! Many in my area use * hunting/fox hunting as a means to spotlight and poach deer, shoot turkeys off the roost, or plant as well as tend their pot crop. If pot is found on a farmers farm, he is the first one under suspicion! Here in KY a land owner can loose their land if pot is being grown on it! Bottom line is where do we draw the line in the sand at as to who has rights to the land, the owner or the government who can create laws that says anyone can enter your land at anytime with no permission. I say it is my land so I have the right. These bills need to be stopped. 7mm nut I do understand your point of view but not all that state they are */fox hunting are doing so. Some are poaching or worse, tending pot patches.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
    edited November -1
    7mm...Guess they need to outlaw hound hunting then. If you cnn't control your hound, and keep him on public land or property you have permission to hunt, then that is the hunters problem. Not the land owners! Again...where do my rights as a landowner end and the hunters begin? Complicated issue, to say the least.
    edited November -1
    Well Winchester mutt, I'm gonna go sit on my property line and every dog or cat that touches my property I'm gonna shoot it. It's my property right?

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    7mm...sounds like you took my last post personally. If you did, I am truly sorry. I have NO problem with anyone asking my permission to hunt, or to retreive a dog. But ask first! If that is to much for a property OWNER to ask, I'm sorry. I remember you posting about the "city slicker" hunters who over-ran your part of Pennsylvania during this last deer season. You didn't like it. And you don't own the land they were hunting on! I don't really see the difference here. Hunters going on MY property, WITHOUT my permission, for ANY reason, is wrong. Just ask! And if you have to drive a while to get to the land-owners house, so be it.
    edited November -1
    I'm not saying at all that I condone trespassing, infact I said twice and this makes the third time, if I tresspess have me arrested. What gets my goat though is some folks will steal or shoot the hounds and tell the hunter tough luck. I don't want to see a law that permits trespassing but I would like to see a law that gives hound hunters the rights to their dogs is they wander onto private ground. I hunt primarliy on public ground but there have been times when the dog has run a cold track and wound up on someone elses ground. Now if I go thru the woods to the dog and find him on private ground chances are I will just get him and go back the same way I went in, around here most of the time yuo won't even know you did it because it is so heavily wooded. I do have a problem with guys whop will drop their dogs onto private ground without permission but all to many times they dog just went. Some land owners feel once it hits their ground it belongs to them and that aint right. I will do my best to keep my dog on state ground, if he wanders onto your ground don't shoot him or steal him.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:said twice and this makes the third time, if I tresspess have me arrested.

Call me stupid! I finally get it! Believe me, I won't shoot your dog, nor do I have any desire to steal a dog. Hey, if you and your hound ever get to TN, look me up and you will have a place to hunt. As long as I can tag along! Been awhile since I have chased a good * dog though. OK if I follow on my 4-wheeler? [:D]

Again...didn't mean to get you riled up. If I did, sorry.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    4GodandCountry, actually as the law is now they do have to ask for permission to go on your property and you do have to let them but you must go with them. What this new bill does is takes away the part where they have to ask permisssion. If this bill passes, anyone can go on your property at any time without your permission by saying "I am retreiving my hunting dog or I am looking for my hunting dog"! The dog does not even have to be within sight or be heard, they can do it just because they "suspect" that their dog is on your property. They do not have to ask anyone if this bill passes. It basicly makes your land open to them at will! A * hunter can turn his dog loose 10 miles from you farm and drive straight to your farm and go on it without permision if this bill passes! Their dog may be in the next county but just because they say it could be on your farm, they need no permission with this new bill! I have people taht do hunt on me but ey ask permission first. It would be like I was driving down te road and wanted to see what was on your farm but i know you allow no hunting. If I say I am looking for my dog, I do not have to ask your permision. If a game warden catches me, he can do nothing if this bill passes! It is an end run around land owner rights. Would anyone want someone to walk into their house at anytime day or night without permission? Same principal with this bill! Just goes to show how stupid our elected officials can be!

Rita Mae Brown
  • LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We dicussed this bill last night at the Director's meeting of Anderson Co. Sportsmens Club. It is our intention to send a letter to the Ky. Legislature opposing this bill. It is also our understanding, that The Department of Fish and Wildlife opposes the bill. If you live in Ky. please do the same.