In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

George Bush-- Man of Courage

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,502 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
The week his campaign for re-election opens, President Bush announces he favors a constitutional amendment to prohibit gay marriage.
The same week, poll results show that 61% of Americans oppose gay marriage.
You don't suppose Bush knows about these polls, do you?
The guy is blatantly pandering to his conservative base.

He reminds me of Clinton. Get the poll results, then call the press conference.

He knows this amendment stands little chance of passing.

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Couldn't be it's what he believes?[?]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    A Politician by any other name is still a Politician. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Only a few, liberal states, such as CA and Mass., are supporting 'gay marriage.' Other, more conservative states, like my GA, are NOT.

Bush is conservative...nuff said bout that.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He talked about a constitutional ban a while back, it is in the news lately because of Mass and San Fran, polls will naturaly follow as will a presidents stance. Ever consider Bush felt this way before the polls came out?
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't it have been foolhardy to ignore an easy home run?
    The typical politician will try to grease both sides on a hotly controversial issue to avoid antagonizing anyone.
    One might rightly say he showed courage.
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I dont agree with Fag Marriages and the such, does the Federal Government really have any business deciding this? Shouldn't it be a state thing? I always thought less government was more government.

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Yes indeed...Our HERO.

Constitutional Amendment,he wants...and his sycaphantic mouth-piece,Rush Limbaugh has been tap-dancing around the thing all day.

One may ask..where was the outrage,Sir,over the 9th Circuit ruling that a 220 year old Amendment was reserved to the STATE...Sir ?

Give me an enemy that gets in my face..that isn't afraid to say he despises everything I stand for...
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    I think its good strategy and I think he truely detests Homosexuality. Good for him. I hope he stomps mudholes in all their A$%es.

Larry
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the 2000 campaign Bush said that it was up to the states to decide and the Federal Government should stay out of it.

It doesn't take any courage to take a stand that has 61% support in the polls.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Courage?? I dont thin it takes much courage to stick your finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing.
    Courage would involve standing up for your convictions, even if the majority disagrees.
    GW has already demonstrated his lack of courage many times over. My favorite incident of cowardice was when he signed the CFR law, even after acknowleding he thought the law was unconstitutional-that finger was telling him to sign the law, and George the jellyfish folded like a cheap suit.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't support gay marriages one bit and would like to see it stopped, ON THE STATE LEVEL! I will generally support GWB as long as he don't get too carried away but here is one place I dissagree with him bigtime. He needs to keep his fingers off of that document, just turn around and walk away from it and forget about putting fresh ink on that sucker. If he does this someone else will say, "well since we are at it, we don't need this, we need to change that, ohh a little tweak here.................". I can just see some of the rabisd anti gunners saying "you need votes to do this, heres the deal, trim a little off here and there and you get your votes". Messing with the Constitution is alot like walking into a room full of dynamite with a lit cigarette, no way buster, just get away from it.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good point 7mm nut! i don't support gay marriage. but i too think it should be dealt w/ at the state level

Warroad.gif
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually don't comment on political threads ... but ...

BULL-HOCKY! Besides the fact that even consensual sex between members of the same sex is a crime in most states ... a sin against God and man ... this is one of those things that need to be the same everywhere and that can't be done at the state level!

Where can a man and wife go that their marriage isn't recognized as legal?

So if it's a state thing ... say you marry your sodimite sweetie in California or New Jersey ... and move to Texas ... Kansas or any other state that doesn't recognize it ... does that mean your not married in those states? ... say you file your state taxes, your current state doesn't recognize the marriage of "gay's"... then what? ... do you file jointly for Federal and single for state? If Gays are allowed to file as "married" in states that don't recognize then, isn't that the same as forcing the state to recognize it?

There are just too many legalities where marriage is concerned ... making it legal is the same as condoning it ... [xx(]

Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

Topeka.gif
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Kimberkid, maybe though that could work in our favor! if they get legaly married in Mass and they wish to move here to PA but PA won't recogonize their marriage maybe they will stay in Mass! You see we just kept two massoholians out of PA as well as more gays[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] So you see it is not a bad thing!

Cheer up grumpy, too early in the morning to get upset[V]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    So let us be clear about this,shall we ...?

Gay marriage upsets you more then the loss of the Second Amendment..?
    edited November -1
    Kimberkid- I have a marriage license that is recognized in all of the other states.
    I have a CCL that is not recognized in other states. If they do not have to recognize my CCL, then they do not have to recognize a perverted marriage.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm doing this from memory so please forgive any "mis-speaks", they are not meant to mislead. They are errors of "geezerliness".
    I'll try to get this out as best I can.
    There is a federal law/statute (something or other) that says a legal "document" issued by one state must be recognized by all states.
    ie...marriage license, drivers license, auto registration, etc.
    The fact that marriages are being performed in Kalifornicate in violation of state law makes them invalid not only in CA but in all states. The marriage licenses from SF aren't worth the paper they're written on anywhere but SF. And probably not even there, legally. Not only are they being issued in violation of state law, the application for the license is being altered, which is also against state law. So either way you look at it...they're screwed![:I]

Hope that came out not too convoluted.

Mudge the shyster

ps...Highball...If you think so little of Rush, why do you listen?
    Could it be that you have a sub-concious craving for the truth?
    Something that you can't get from the Democrat Liberals.
    (Dem. Lib. is a redundancy isn't it? Sorry.)

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
    edited November -1
    Mudge- You are refering to Aricle 4, section 1 "Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state".
    But again, they do not recognize my Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm in New Jersey, notwithstanding article 4 section 1, so why would one assume protection for gay whatevers under article 4 section 1.

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    Kimberkid- I have a marriage license that is recognized in all of the other states.
    I have a CCL that is not recognized in other states. If they do not have to recognize my CCL, then they do not have to recognize a perverted marriage.

-Jimmy the cheese man
    Salzo -
    The CCL is another license that needs to be made federal ... but that's a whole another can of worms ... all these different state laws that are more restrictive the already un-constitutional federal laws need to be wiped off the books ... IMHO!

Topeka.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo

-Jimmy the cheese man
    Salzo -
    The CCL is another license that needs to be made federal ... but that's a whole another can of worms ... all these different state laws that are more restrictive the already un-constitutional federal laws need to be wiped off the books ... IMHO!

Topeka.gif
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kimberkid,
    Saved me a lot of typing....THANKS

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do I care what two people do in their bedroom? NO! Do I believe two commited partners have legal rights such as health care decisions,yes they should no matter what the rest of use think.It is called domestic partnership,marriage by definition itself involves one man and one woman in our society.Domestic Partnership=same sex relationship,Marriage=husband and wife.

I will leave morality of homosexuality out of this even though I do not agree with it because a higher and wiser power will be the judge of them,not I.I live in Los Angeles and have worked in North and West Hollywood for those who are not familiar with L.A.it is the areas were a person's homosexuality is very open and have had gay co-workers and friends.As every strata of society their culture is multi leveled.There are those who just want to live the lives as you and I in piece.There are however a a group that is very militant and not only want tolerance the want everyone to accept them as main stream and put it in your face.Not just being together but going out of their way to put it in your face doing things and acting with conduct that should not be condoned strait or gay.This group is very vocal and have a say way out of proportion to not only their culture but our society.The Constitution should "protect" a minority group from unfair prosecution not allow it to change our society as a whole.

As far as a ammendment,it is the way to go.Why? Individual politicians and judges are using the Constitution as a "excuss" not a "reason" to not enforce local and state laws.This removes the excusses.

CWatson

1.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!

2.NEVER WASTE MONEY ON SPRINGFIELD ARMORY!!