In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Smith & Wesson/President Bush

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Does everyone recall the "boycott" that hit the fan after S&W caved under the anti-gun pressure of the Clintonisas? Smith & Wesson, as far as I can tell, has completely rid themselves of that stigma by this point in time. They are developing new cartriges and are making some excellent firearms. They are living up to their reputation.

Some here have a low opinion of the Bush Administration. What, in your opinion, would the Bush Administration have to do in order to accomplish a turnaround similar to the one made by Smith & Wesson with regards to public image?

Comments

• pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give us new calibers and new guns???[;)][;)]

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Today we are closing our borders.

Gun laws dating to 1968 are immediately repealed,by executive order..and recognizing that the citizenry are unused to freedom,we are starting universal gun courses in every town and city in this great land.
    When the training has progressed to enough people..all Federal Gun Laws will be repealed as the UnConstitutional relics they are..

Personal responsibility will be expected from EVERY citizen.

Our soldiers are coming home..and least anyone out there take this as a sign of weakness..there is a mushroom cloud waiting for you...

welfare will be drastically cut back..and if you are hungry..go to work.

Many regulations restricting small businesses will be repealed in the next few weeks...and big business that wants to bring in products from 2 dollar a week slave labor will be charged a healthy tariff..coming out of the paycheck of the ceo's of the company..

Actually,merely taking a stand for the Constitution would bring me into his camp..too bad he has never even read it.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ids, I think this would require "truth in media."

Biggest thing would be to stop the loss of jobs headed overseas. Not just in manufacturing, but so many other fields. With computers, the Internet and extremely cheap international phone rates (I can call Moscow for 1/3 the rate to my state capital 35 miles away if I dial both directly!), many white collar jobs - insurance, banking, computers to name only a few - are evaporating as quickly as those in "smokestack industries."

Tariffs aren't the answer. We tried that once before. Smoot-Hawley Act. While we have more protections against some of the other root causes of the Great Depression, basic economics hasn't changed and economic isolationism still means economic stagnation.

Sealing the southern border and deporting the illegals will help some, as will drastically reducing the "safety net" (although I'm not entirely sure either would be supported politically - there are a lot of first cousins to the illegals who were grandfathered into citizenship and huge constituency, particularly in the cities, of welfare recipients) but even taken together, this will not do the whole job. Certainly there's some considerable waste in foreign aid. Clearly, more controls are needed to be sure it goes to those who need it instead of buying tanks and gold faucets for tinpot dictators in Sub-Saharan Africa and elsewhere, but it would be a huge mistake to eliminate it altogether. Besides, the Administration's detractors include many who would have us be even more indulgent and pee their pants at the idea of the US flexing its muscles. I wish I had the answer. I wish I thought *anyone* had the answer!

I guess what I'm saying is that while Highball's suggestions are, with the tariff exception, what *should* be done, none of them would really solve the PR problems the Administration now faces. It might shore up the President's right flank and it would help in general, but it's the middle which carries the day in American politics. And most of them get their information from Time Magazine, ABC News and their fellow travelers. The road to the correction lies in large measure through the newsrooms of the nation, and no one to the right of John Kerry is going to have any help there.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you propose to stop the flow of jobs overseas without fundamentally undermining our way of life?
    Our country was founded on the idea of capitalism and free trade. Right now, it appears more profitable for businesses to outsource work overseas.
    Maybe we should look at WHY jobs are going overseas for the answer. Several things appear to be driving this:
    1. Cheaper labor (duh).
    2. Higher regulation/red tape in the US.
    3. Tax benefits (not having to pay social security tax on employees, etc.
    4. No Union gripes.
    5. In some cases, just plain old more skill/knowledge in the area.

Not much can be done about #1, short of everyone in the U.S. suddenly becoming more open to the idea of paying a lot more for the same product. #2-3 are things the gov't can address. #4 is something that workers and Unions have to realize. Ever notice how all the new auto plants have mostly been appearing in places like South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and Texas? I don't think it's a coincidence that unions have a lesser presence in those states. #5 seems to be the problem in math/hard science related areas. In undergrad, I noticed a lot of the computer science, biology, chemistry, physics and science folks were either foreign students or 1st generation U.S. citizens. Lots of Indians in the computer science, and the language of choice in the biology lab was Chinese (this was at a Top 20 university in the southeast). While most of the foreign students want to stay in the U.S., others go home and end up running the foreign offices of U.S. companies.
  • CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Bush but he can improve things alot.As far as firearms related matters a nation wide CCW permit and no more AWB.

I would like stronger,and inforced immigration laws.I would like tariffs for nations to sell their wares in our country.I would like him to abolish all free trade and open border agreements.

Most of all I wish he had guys in the CIA that could make the reactors in Korea and Iran to have meltdowns[}:)]while their governnment officials are visiting said sites.

You want to stop nuclear proliferation? Stop exporting "peaceful" nuke technoleagy and ban the importation of goods from countries that try.

No more foriegn aid and for America to become as imperialistic as the wannabes accuse us as being.

CWatson

1.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!

2.NEVER WASTE MONEY ON SPRINGFIELD ARMORY!!