In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Garage sale guns

searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
edited September 2002 in General Discussion
I buy quite a few guns at garage sales and from private individuals. I am always goosey( despite the sellers assurance) that some of these guns may be stolen. Quite often it is either a buy-it-fast-or-lose -it-deal, so there is no time to run a check before purchase. What is your advice about checking before offering it for resale? Is there anywhere to check this quickly, or is this just the chance you take? Your thoughts on this, please. Thanks, Dan'l

Comments

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't buy a garage sale gun except as a "cold keeper". If buying to resell, you could be out a lot more than what you saved going in.

Often the mind believes it is thinking, when it is only passing from one metaphor to the next.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    No offense, but it sounds like you need a license. From your post's wording, it seems as though you do this often and for the purpose of resale. For that you need a FFL.

You may get by for a long time, but it only takes getting hammered ONCE by the BATF to get your attention. Since about three-fourths of the FFLs that once existed are no more, the BATF has more time to nail "unlicensed dealers." And they are doing so with astonishing regularity. All it takes is for one of your friends, neighbors or co-workers to call the BATF snitch line and you are had.

License or no, you MUST record the seller's identity, address, date of birth and physical descriptors from his state-issued picture ID card. That is for your protection. If the seller seems reluctant to provide the necessary data, back off. It ain't worth it.

In Texas, if one is in the business of buying and selling any second-hand property valued at $25 or more, AND if the property proves to be stolen, AND if the buyer did not record the seller's information, the law presumes that the buyer knew the property was stolen when he bought it.

About the only way to check a gun for stolen is to have a friendly police officer run it through NCIC for you. No NCIC want is not a clean bill of health, either. Lots of guns are stolen from people who did not bother to record the serial number. Lots of guns made before 1968 have no serial numbers.

So, be careful.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Here is a PS:

I used to cover this when I was teaching the Concealed Handgun License course.

If you are going to carry a gun, make DARN SURE YOU KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM. Preferably, it will be one you bought new in a shop, and for which you have a receipt.

In Texas, a police officer contacting a licensee had the authority to disarm the licensee for cause. It is a rare officer that can get another person's gun in his hands and not run it through NCIC/TCIC. This is not the time to find out it was stolen in a burglary before you got it.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nunn- You are exactly right- I do need a dealers licence. As of right now, I am building an inventory, NOT selling them, until I do get a licence. Unfortunately, I am not able to get a licence due to covenants on my property, so I am in search for a location to set up a retail & repair shop. Just doing ground work until then. Thanks again, Dan'l
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you 're building inventory, please realize that when you record these guns in your "bound book" or inventory, you're going to need to write in from whom you acquired them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good point-thunderbolt. I think that & a receipt should cover things.
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could contact and LEO and have him run the serial numbers. If it's hot, you're out the money but it's a lot cheaper than bond and an attorney. Believe it or not a fellow LEO of mine bought a gun from a friend, ran the numbers, and found the gun was hotter than the manifold on a '48 Crosley. Auction and garage sale guns are reasonable though.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    searcher, I'd say that you are playing with fire here. Okay, you are building an inventory while waiting to get licensed...how long have you been waiting? You are clearly engaged in the business right now!
    Assuming that your license comes through in your life time, you'll have to log all of those guns in your "bound book". You'd better know exactly where they came from and have records to back it up. Guns in dealers inventory can't simply pop up out of thin air, they had to have come from somewhere. You've clearly stated that they are your INVENTORY and not your personal guns so you can't list yourself in the acquisition portion of the bound book. You'll have to list a name and address of anyone you aquired a firearms from who was not licensed. If he was licensed you need to list his license number. I'd stop visiting those garage sales for a while. Pretty soon SOMEONE is going to wise up to what you are doing and call the police or the BATF. You usually see the same faces at these sales and I'm sure that these folks notice you, "the guy who always buys all of those used guns". It takes only one phone call to ruin your life.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I think the ATF's strong recommendation is if you sell over five guns a year, they think you should have a license. If you keep it under five sales per year, you shouldn't have a problem.

From what a dealer told me, you could also sell your entire collection once (at one time) per year. So, for example, if you had several guns you could run them through an auction house at the same time and sell more than five.

While these are not laws, they are what the ATF says, from what I have heard.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On checking to see if guns are stolen, at some point in the future this site might be valuable.

http://isthisgunstolen.com/

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    I think the ATF's strong recommendation is if you sell over five guns a year, they think you should have a license.

This is a moot point. The number of licensed dealers has recently been reduced by 75%; even if the ATF made such a recommendation, it would be against their interest and counter to political savvy to enforce it.

Often the mind believes it is thinking, when it is only passing from one metaphor to the next.

Edited by - DancesWithSheep on 09/30/2002 23:31:34
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

even if the ATF made such a recommendation, it would be against their interest and counter to political savvy to enforce it.

[/quote]

Face facts. They have to have some reasonably standard way to respond to a reasonably standard question. I'm sure they probably get AT LEAST half a dozen calls a year asking, "when do I need a license", or, "shouldn't he have a license"? They can't simply tell the caller, "Duh, we don't know". They have a pat answer they give to people who ask this question, and it is along the lines of urging people who sell more than five guns per year to get a license.

I seriously doubt that if a person were to sell 6 guns in one year and four in the next, the ATF would say anything. Particularly considering there are plenty of states that don't require any record of transaction on the sale or purchase of a firearm. How would the ATF really know? I know of a few "collectors" who travel the midwest gunshow circut and most probably "sell" over five guns per year, truth be told. But because the sales go without any paperwork, who really knows how many they sell? Sure, I can think of plenty of people on this board who would jump up and down and insist they need FFL licenses. But the fact is, they set up at the same shows, year after year, and never get bothered by the ATF. And they are really reasonably open about what they are doing.

However, I do believe if you were to call an ATF office and ask them when a person needs a license to sell firearms, they will give you some out-of-the-box response along the lines of, if you sell more than five guns per year, you probably need a license.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Boeboe: My point is that a whole bunch of "kitchen table" dealers selling 50+ guns a year just had their licenses taken away. So now the BATF is going to tell searcher5 to get a license because he's sold maybe 20?

• Options
    edited November -1
    DWS,

I think maybe we are on the same side on this point...

I know the viewpoint of those on the east and west coast is different than the midwest. In my state, it's not uncommon to see the same "collectors" set-up show after show selling without a license. There are several "collectors" who frequently set-up and sell at midwest shows, and they do it at virtually every show.

Now, with some of them, it's obvious they have areas of specialization, with others it's just a hodge-podge of guns. There is one guy who, every show I go to, can be seen wheeling a customized dolly full of guns up and down the isles. He has several rifles and who knows how many handguns all on this cart. And he has customized this cart especially for hauling guns around. He never rents a table. Every show, he pays the door admission price, checks his guns in through the same sherriff's officer who always does security at the show, and wheels his cart up and down the isles, selling to whoever might be interested. I don't have any idea how many guns he sells away from the shows. I do know several of the "dealers" who regularly rent tables make some nasty comments about him under their breath. But that's just because he is getting around paying the table rent and taking business away from them. He has done this for several years now, and is quite open about it.

I am really surprised when I do here the infrequent news reports of someone getting busted for selling guns without a license. When these reports do draw attention, there are usually some extenuating circumstances around them, such as drugs or full auto stuff.

Myself, I hate selling guns. I can't hoard enough. But I tell you what I'm going to do with all my guns. The last big gunshow before they start requiring a background check and FFL transfer on all gun purchases, that is, just before they finally do away with the private sale of firearms on the Federal level, I'm going to sell every gun I have and make a killing (killing=huge profit). After that point, I'm never going to buy or sell another gun. I'll deny that I own any guns, because I won't. I'll be a completely reformed ex-gun nut. Just the way they want me to be.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Catch-22: On the one hand, you need a FFL to sell 5 or more guns per year; on the other, thousands of dealers selling a lot more than that can't get their FFLs renewed. So how are you expected to do what they can't?

Maybe the answer is...you're not.