In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Passing of A Generation

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
The true American patriots:

Link: http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

volenti non fit injuria

Comments

• Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Nice post Hairy (for once).[;)]
    I respecfully disagree with your caption "The true American patriots". Yes, patriots indeed, but all service men and women are also true patriots.

A more appropriate caption, IMO, would have been "America's Greatest Generation".

It is sad that we are loosing hundreds of members of this great generation daily, both vets and Rosie the rivetors types that did not serve, but were vital just the same in the war effort.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    My Father just left to Bugle at yet another funeral. Every day we lose hundreds if not thousands. They each have an understanding that can only be communicated by looking them in the eyes and shaking their hand.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    Broomie2Broomie2 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great post!!

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Dad is a Korea vet, his uncle, my great Uncle Leo, lost a leg on Omaha Beach. And, no, he too never spoke of the things he experienced or saw on D-Day, even when asked about it.
    Nice post!

I am the Egg-Man! I am the Egg-Man! I am the Walrus! Kooo-kooo-kee-chooo!
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry guys, I dont like the term "greatest Generation". I served in a
    Inf. Div (3rd I.D.) which had the highest casualty rate, as a Inf. Rifleman in WW 2. Few us left really consider we were "a greater generation" than our troops that fought in Korea, Nam, other conflicts and wars. About the only difference was that we were in for the DURAION
    of the war, no matter how long it lasted, unless.? Only the names and faces change in any war, same damn wartime for the Infantry that took most of the casualties in any war.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    joeaf1911a1, your reply is one of the things that make you one of the "greatest generation". Had a number of uncles, 5, I think, and my step-father that served in WWII, two in Korea, and I am a proud Viet Nam Vet. We salute you joeaf1911a1!

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
    NRA Life Member
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Great post but I still don't understand how Bush and the Israelis are responsible for this tragedy[:o)]

Love them Beavers
    info_EB.gif
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kingjoey
    Great post but I still don't understand how Bush and the Israelis are responsible for this tragedy[:o)]

Love them Beavers
    info_EB.gif

[:D][:D]

Larry
    gunanimation.gif
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joeaf1911a1
    Sorry guys, I dont like the term "greatest Generation".
    Joe,
    Thanks for your service to our country. You're too humble.
    The term "Greatest Generation" refers to not only the vets who fought, many paying the ultimate sacrifice, but also to all Americans of this generation.

This generation lived through the hardships of the Depression, only to then face this horrible war. If they weren't in the service, then they were working long hours for the war effort. All this while enduring the rationing of food, materials, etc. The parents and loved ones of the men and women in harms way also had the added stress of not knowing if their children would come back home safe.

IMO, no other generation of Americans have endured as much and prevailed as this Greatest Generation.
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dolfan: No, I am not humble. In fact very proud of my small part. However I feel the exact same damn credit should be given to all vets,
    and sevicemen in all wars and conflicts. Seems like the "new American
    thing to do" is look down on our military and vets and forget the sacrafices they made. Those in Korea had the same cold as we had in France and Germany in winter. In Nam, similar conditions of those in the Pacific and CBI theatres. For heat and sand conditions the same thing as in the African campaign. So where in hell is the big difference in wars.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAIRY, *thank you* for the link.

Joe, all Americans owe all our vets . . . but that does not diminish the special contribution of the WW2 generation - civilian and military. As others have said, you and your comrades are entirely too self-effacing about what you did. In Churchill's memoirs of the period, one book is titled Their Finest Hour, (taken from one of his speeches). I believe the term applies to our society as well. Thank you.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The" true American patriots.

You really know how to do it don't ya, skippy.

Sure, you're going to claim innocence and insist you meant no slight to the current military service people, but I know what you meant and I suspect several others do too.

Clouder..
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    'Clouder: quote: "The" true American patriots.

You really know how to do it don't ya, skippy.

Sure, you're going to claim innocence and insist you meant no slight to the current military service people, but I know what you meant and I suspect several others do too.

You, Sir, are living proof that no good deed goes unpunished. [}:)][;)]

volenti non fit injuria
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joeaf1911a1
    So where in hell is the big difference in wars.

The difference lies in the way they are fought and with the men who fight them. I'm afraid the great causes are all long gone, replaced by economically or politically expedient police actions with an occasional threat of nuclear annihilation. Instead of declaring war, now we just have wars on stuff; war on terrorism, war on communism, war on whatever. But what does a war on something mean exactly, as compared to war with Germany or war with Japan? Think about it: That little word on manages to change everything about the reasons and the ways we now fight wars. Back home it's ho-hum business as usual. In your day, Joe, there was Rosie The Riveter, gas rationing and Meatless Tuesdays; today we got soccer moms in mini-vans with little flag decals and peel-off bows saying Support The Troops. Just what does Support The Troops mean exactly, in a way that Support Gravity is not equally gratuitous? Weapons of war today are smart, sophisticated and far more lethal; instead of prolonged campaigns and seiges and fronts, now we have packages and looks and contingencies. Enemies don't look into eachother's eyes any more; nobody sticks a knife into anyone's belly any more. And that's the pity. Perhaps we should. War has become too indiscriminate and too impersonal and too easy to fight (not easy to win, just easy to fight). In your day, Joe, you were there for the duration; today, "combat" zones have air conditioning and MTV and Internet access and designer water and short rotations bolstered even further by flights home after a few months. Honor and gallantry and sacrifice are rarer these days precisely because the way in which war is fought minimizes the opportunity. The likes of a Teddy R. or Patton and Chesty Puller could not possibly serve today, long replaced out of necessity by politically correct, uniformed businessmen posing as generals, each with a keen conceptual grasp and an eye for detail but without soul and love for the fight.