In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

lab scared of noise

lvpattlvpatt Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
my lab freaks with loud noise, esp gun shots,i dont hunt anymore but would like to take her to the range, any ideas or is this permanent,5 years old, yeah, i know, a little late.

tks

pat

Comments

• storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lvpatt
    my lab freaks with loud noise, esp gun shots,i dont hunt anymore but would like to take her to the range, any ideas or is this permanent,5 years old, yeah, i know, a little late.

tks

pat

start out with a 20 ga round and give her treats after you fire it. every time she sees a gun, give her praise and a treat.

no more .22 rounds or anything that has a sonic crack. dogs like shotguns, not rifles.

If they get used to the shotgun and they get a little bird action, you may be able to get them to stick around the range. take your hearing protection off with a hangover and you can feel just like a dog does under normal fire.

I have seen a lot of people screw up good hunting dogs with 22's.
  • lvpattlvpatt Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tks storm but my dog freaks out if i drop a plate,so does my wife.but i care more for dog.lol
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lvpatt
    tks storm but my dog freaks out if i drop a plate,so does my wife.but i care more for dog.lol

sorry to hear that. must have had some lightning or something scare her in the past. not sure if you could do anything about that but try the reward thing. beef jerky works good. just start our with the guns unloaded. work your way up to shooting the shotgun.

im with ya on the wife/dog issue. had my oldest shepherd ten years longer than the wife.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid, we raised German Shorthairs. My old man hung steel barrel lids on the fence. When we fed them, we were instructed to beat hell out of the lids. They soon associated loud banging with a pleasurable experience. I might suggest that you try it, starting out with small taps, and working up to louder noises at mealtime.