In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Carnivorous Squirrels...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Have any of you guys seen a squirrel eat meat??? Yesterday, I watched a squirrel eating on a dead raven in my front yard...for quite a while. When I went outside, he grabbed the carcus and took it up the tree with him. In all my years and time spent outdoors, I do not believe I have ever seen a squirrel eat meat. How about you?

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated

Comments

• stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Seen it lotsof times.
    Used to shoot "gray diggers" in eastern WA and when you killed one close to the hole, the others would come up and start feeding on the fresh carcass. Made the rest much easier to kill.

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a rat with a bushy tail.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I definately know that squirrels eat meat. I saw several of them in the local steakhouse the other day!

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stanman
    Seen it lotsof times.
    Used to shoot "gray diggers" in eastern WA and when you killed one close to the hole, the others would come up and start feeding on the fresh carcass. Made the rest much easier to kill.

ain't it the truth! Down here in CA., the ground Squirrels are just as bad! after a good day of busting 200 or so of them, between them and volchers there is not much left. [:D]

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Big time bird nest robbers, eggs and babies.

Crows in turn, will steal the baby squirrels.
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't seen it myself, but read an aritcle in an outdoors magazine that said they not only eat the dead, but will actually attack birds, other squirrels, and stuff too.
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    zombie squirrels?

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:0]I cant believe it,You learn something new every day on these boards[:0]

use_deer.jpg
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would have never believed it if I had not seen it myself..Not only do they eat the starlings, but also rats that I shoot at work....Meat-eating grays are kind of scary....

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I haven't seen a carnivorous squirrel, but I have seen a killer Bunny Rabbit.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    mateomasfeo-RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein