In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mossberg 500 series......

matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Does anybody know what the letter following the no. 500 on the bottom of the gun means? I've seen 12 ga. with the heat shield on top and they say 500A, I've seen others that say 500C. Today I looked at a .410 Mossberg and it said 500E. It was in a camo case. I looked up Mossberg in the Blue Book and found a Mossberg 500 Camper that was chambered in .410, and came with a camo case, BUT.....no mention of the "E" notation. What gives.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Comments

• D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    That just tells you what gauge the gun is A=12ga B=20ga. C is 16ga if I recall and E=410ga. The older mossbergs don't have a letter suffix only when they started to produce the 500 series in other gauges they started that.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    So how would one know if they had a "camper" model or not?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This probably won't be much help but my 500 410ga is marked "500E". I have model 590 12ga that has no suffex.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
    edited November -1
    quote: So how would one know if they had a "camper" model or not?

It will have a pistol grip, camo case and an 18 1/2in. barrel. It will also say Camper on the gun.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D@D
    That just tells you what gauge the gun is A=12ga B=20ga. C is 16ga if I recall and E=410ga. The older mossbergs don't have a letter suffix only when they started to produce the 500 series in other gauges they started that.

While I don't know about 16's I do know that I have seen Mossberg 20 gauge receivers marked model "500C" and I have seen some 12 guage models with no letter after the number or more than one, for instance "500ATP" on a marine-coat finish extended magazine model.

The letters do designate the type/size of receiver, but there's got to be a little more to it.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
    edited November -1
    quote:While I don't know about 16's I do know that I have seen Mossberg 20 gauge receivers marked model "500C" and I have seen some 12 guage models with no letter after the number or more than one, for instance "500ATP" on a marine-coat finish extended magazine model.

The letters do designate the type/size of receiver, but there's got to be a little more to it.

I always get 20ga and 16ga bakwards. But for your average 500 series thats all the letters mean to tell the different gauges.That is from the factory.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    The gun in question has a pistol grip, camo case, has 18" bbl, but does NOT say "camper" on it. Are you sure it would say camper on it? A "Persuader" does not say persuader on it, does it? Nor a "Viking", or a "Cruiser", do they?

My point is, couldn't someone have "built" this gun? Added the pistol grip, and cut the bbl?

Edmund Burke