In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help choosing a .22.....*EDIT*

eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
edited February 2006 in General Discussion
I've been trying to choose a .22 auto for a long time (for practice when I don't want to use the .45). Problem is I can't find one that agrees with me. Hopefully you can offer some help yet again. Here's what I've experienced:

Ruger:
-I absolutely hate the Mark series grips--there's no way I can shoot that reliably. The angle is just so unnatural.
-22/45 has too slim a grip for me. The angle is great, but I'm not a real fan of polymer guns (dunno why), and my hand wraps almost completely around it (not comfortable)

S&W:
-Model 22 has too small a grip, feels like a kid sculpted the shape in play-doh. No way it will work for me.

Browning:
-Buckmark: Looks nice, feels nice, costs half as much as my car (I don't know if that means it's a great gun, or my car is a POS)

Beretta:
-Neo: Looks like something out of a sci-fi convention. Balance is fantastic, grip seems do-able. Safety cuts into my hand--not something I want in a gun.

Sig:
-Can't even find them at the shops, cost a lot more than I want to spend (or can spend).

Walther:
-No balance, way too small. The grip only fits half my hand--feels like holding a derringer.

I'd really like to find a nice .22 auto to practice with and be able to use for small game, but it doesn't seem like there's one made that works for me. Anyone else have ideas?

Thanks.

EDIT:

I don't have a 1911, nor am I planning to buy one right now (don't need it, can't justify spending the money....yet), so 1911 conversion kits are not an option. If you know where to get conversion kits for Rugers, then by all means, let me know.

Comments

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Phoenix Arms anyone??

In all reality I'd go something in 380 or larger. Kel Tec has a 380 thats smaller than your wallet.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    leftytwogunsleftytwoguns Member Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own an OD Walther P22. If it feels like holding a derringer, what does holding a derringer feel like?
    I have large hands and thought the grip panels cleaned up the poor feel. It is 3/4 the size of a P99, is that also too small?
    With the right ammo, it shoots flawlessly. The five inch barrel gives decent accuracy.
    I also have a little Beretta tomcat or bobcat .22. But that wouldn't suit your needs either. Good luck.
    Left
  • Options
    sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
  • Options
    sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    High Standard
    S&W model 41
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sheepdip
    High Standard
    S&W model 41

I'll just go ahead and sell my car and most of my guns to buy that.

I'd like to keep this at $300 or less (preferrably much less), but still reasonably accurate.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm. We're different. I love those Rugers - Mark I, II, and III Hunter
    SS Fluted. To me they are like a fine P'08 Luger or a nice Walther P-38
    ... they are natural pointers. My son's just gave me another almost new
    Mk. II the other night.

Those High Standards are nice, too - I have two Victors that I probably
    should shoot more often. A Woodsman, in excellent shape, is also a treat.

... guns are 'personal experiences', I guess. [:D]
    chewtwigzz.gif
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Eastwood - I'm not sure if you've ruled out all the S&W line, but I have a mostly steel Mod 2206 (I think it is) that has a good feel to me and shoots pretty decent.
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Have you tried the Llama 22 that is modeled after the 1911? They are fun to shoot, adjustable sights, fairly inexpensive used when you can find one. Mine doesn't have a model number on it, but, I think it is Model 14 or maybe 15.
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    My vote would be for the Ruger Mk II or Mk III.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    look into a Kimber 1911 in .22 cal,yes it's poly frame but is a 1911. the gun is not cheap,but accurate as can be.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Since you can't find a gun you can shoot, why don't you just use the $300 to buy a press, and dies so you can load for your .45? 'Cuz, dude, your list of guns you can't shoot is longer than the list of guns I'd like to own.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    weatherby beretta .22 L/R, nice piece of kit. i used one for 3yr, no problems ,accurate![;)]
  • Options
    blugillblugill Member Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt woodsman? Expensive but sweet.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High Standard HD Military?
    1911 conversion kit? (assuming you have a 1911)
    Browning?
    They are all nice shooting and you should be able to get close to your budget in the used market.
    Just my two cents......Ed
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I have had a MKII Ruger for about 20 years(?), changed to Hogue finger groove grips.The Hogue grips are quite a bit wider than the factory ones..made all the difference in the world...[;)]
    The RamLine mag beside it is one of two 14 rounders I bought, (and it fits flush) since the factory mags are only ten rounders.

MKII002.jpg

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ZIP quote:they are natural pointers.

...so true, very well balanced. I have let friends that do not shoot handguns often, and with the MKII they shoot extremely accurate, I should get a commission from Ruger, as many of said friends went out and bought one, after shooting mine so well...[:D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    My MkII Competition Model Slabside has the thumb-rest grips.Much more comfortable than standard grips.Very accurate as well.Mine set me back about $350,like new,but used w/scope.

BUT!!!

Since I got the Buck Mark,The Ruger hasn't been shot much.I see Buck Marks for under 3 bills pretty often around here.

BW
  • Options
    bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Really like my Buckmark!
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    I have owned and shot every one of the firearms in your list and Have settled on the Buckmark.
    Extremly accurate and love the way it feels and shoots.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bloviator: We're going through that now with my youngest's girlfriend,
    Allison. John and Mike bought me a used MkII Standard in excellent shape
    the other day and took it with them when they took out the new 45-70 Guide
    for sighting in, yesterday. Their targets were all still in the living room this
    morning. Below, is Allison's shot at 7 yards.

We've been looking for a 'comfortable' gun for her to shoot.

She likes the Colt's 'gangsta guns' Mods. '03 in .32 and '08 in
    .380. She also likes the HSc Nazi .32. She'll 'tolerate' the .38
    Chief's Special (as long as the loads are mild), the PPK/s, and
    the Maks - BUT - she put a box and a half of Federal through the
    MkII and was looking for more when they finally dragged her out!

She's very tall and slender and thought the bull barrels were too
    heavy and unbalanced for her small wrists!
    AllisonsMk2-7years.jpg
    chewtwigzz.gif
  • Options
    Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The high Standard is a good choice.

FA5U0072cr.jpg
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Ruger MKII Target, bull barrel, with Tasco Propoint Red dot on top. Off sand bag at 25 yds all shots touching..

S&W K-22 with bushnell Red dot on top, off sandbag at 25 yds 1/2 inch groups.

Colt Buntline Scout factory sights off sandbag at 25 yds. 1 inch groups.
  • Options
    Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Kimber 22 or 17 in a 1911 frame is also a good choice..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's MY first choice - that's an instantly detachable scope.
    A stainless Ruger MkIII Hunter - can't be beat! [8D]
    MyMkIII.jpg
    Grinch_final_white.jpg
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    mmmmmmmmmmm. niiiiiiiiice , want one..ha ha ha [:)]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    classic, Zip, the MKII is one of FEW handguns in any cal that is truely "point & shoot". I'm not sure what it is about 'em, but they make a first time handgun shooter look pretty dam* good. EVERY girlfriend or wife Ive had that has shot it, did not want to put it down, and most were first time shooters. Awesome little pistol.
    Calssic, Zip, fine looking pistolas ya'll got there! mines just a plain jane...[:p]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got three or four 'plain Janes' that shoot just as well -
    I only scope'em when I hunt'em - but you're right, the gals sure love'em![:D][:D][:D]
    jennings2.jpg
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy a good conversion kit.
    Too bad the MK rugers are best buys to me.
    My walther jams alot and is inaccurate.
    My benelli atlanta is cool and a tackdriver
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Zip, and/or Classic, is that a rail base the scope is mounted to? I thought they only had those ugly * side mounts for the MKII?
    ...D & T for the base I suspose? What brand are they? Classic, your rings look a lot like my Leo rings I have on my rifles, what type of rings?...and while I'm asking so many questions, what did ya'll have for breakfast?...[:D][:D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think your car must be a pos, none of my Buckmarks cost all that much, and I got them here on GB. Neos cost more, and shoots like a centerfire pistol, but kinda heavy for plinking while hiking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guns are like cars, wimmins, food, and a LOT of other things - it's all (100%) a matter of taste ... what feels good ... and what works!

With a few exceptions, I absolutely won't waste my time with any handguns that sport anything less than 4" barrels! They just don't work for me - my brother Tom wouldn't shoot anything BUT 4"ers! .. he was what you'd call an 'expert pistolero!' He could/would shoot circles around anyone/everyone who challenged him!

Give me a 6" and I can score all day long - well, USED TO score all day long! ... not so much as I used to but I'm still respectable on the range![:D][:D][:D]
    jennings2.jpg
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mond
    weatherby beretta .22 L/R, nice piece of kit. i used one for 3yr, no problems ,accurate![;)]

Mond,

I guess you are Italian after all. You look like you could be Sylvester Stallone's brother.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog, quote:I think your car must be a pos, none of my Buckmarks cost all that much, and I got them here on GB.

...?? I'm lost, nothing new, but, WTH are you talking about? Not had your morning cookies yet?...[:D][:D]sprk2-80x60ani-av.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    From the original post:
    quote:Browning: -Buckmark: Looks nice, feels nice, costs half as much as my car (I don't know if that means it's a great gun, or my car is a POS)

Not off my cookies, pneumonia has not done me a lot of good, but hey, he asked for it.[}:)][:)]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for High Standard, though you probably aren't going to find a good one for under $300. (I like the slant grip, but since you hate in the Ruger, you probably aren't going to like it in the High Standard).

If the Smith 22 grip is too small for you, you might prefer the oversized target grips for it.

If you like to shoot a .45 just buy the .22 conversion from Kimber and stop worrying about this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    Another vote for High Standard, though you probably aren't going to find a good one for under $300. (I like the slant grip, but since you hate in the Ruger, you probably aren't going to like it in the High Standard).

If the Smith 22 grip is too small for you, you might prefer the oversized target grips for it.

If you like to shoot a .45 just buy the .22 conversion from Kimber and stop worrying about this.

$300 conversion kit and a $700 pistol. Looks like about a grand to be spent. While I'd like to get a Kimber some day, I can't really justify spending a grand on anything at this point.

Now here's an odd-ball question for anyone who may be able to answer. There's a Browning Buckmark with HUGE grips (wood all the way around the frame, thick as all get-out). Anyone know what model that is? The campers and the like have the little plastic crap that doesn't work for me. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/category.asp?value=006B

Several grips available, pick out what you like. Mine are walnut and engraved walnut. I have small hands and they fit me very well indeed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good idea HeDog[:D]