In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RUST......help

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
Found an old Remington Model 12 in my Dad's old warehouse. It was in the trunk of a car he parked in there 15 plus years ago.

The barrel looks fine, it pumps and ejects fine. The problem is the rust. Where does a guy start in cleaning up this gun.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soak it in Kroil for a week. Then, rub with 0000 steel wool that is wet with Kroil.

But, it may not be possible to save it. Rust is a loss of steel, & it can't be put back.

Neal
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    0000 steel wool and remoil...I'm sure that answer is far too simple,to be agreed upon so....U'll see how wrong i am,in mere minutes.
  • Options
    burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    0000 steel wool and remoil...I'm sure that answer is far too simple,to be agreed upon so....U'll see how wrong i am,in mere minutes.

fish has no clue, use 0000 steel wool and Remoil. [;)][:D][:D]
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I'd take it all the way down.

A couple of days in most any good oil will help loosen, slow/kill/inhibit further rusting, Kroil is fine.

Cutting off the oxygen that helps feed the rust and removing all the rust will stop further rusting...so until and if a new finish is applied I'd keep a coat of Tetra Grease/FLITZ on the metal parts.

For any rusted internal parts Id use the 0000, since even saturated in a lube the 0000 will remove any bluing that is left.

IF it's not pitted and a reblue may be in the future, I'd use the soapless ScotchBrite pads found at the grocery store to scrub any blued parts but...if scrubbed hard/long enough even with the SB pads, those too will remove blue...just not as readily as the 0000 will.

You could have it Parked, park hides a multitude of sins where other smoother finishes dont...[;)]
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kroil a d 0000 steel wool won't remove blueing if you take your time and go carefully. Just don't get in a rush.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner won't remove bluing either. Wipe it on small areas a little at a time, and let it sit a few minutes, then wipe off with a rag.