In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SENATE UPDATE

jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
The senate leadership has reached an agreement that they will debate and vote on numerous amendments to the gun manufacturers liabilty bill and should finally get a vote on it tuesday. The ammendments that we have been discussing have already been offered and many more and any senator can introduce an amendment between now and tuesday. WE HAVE HAD AN EFFECT. They thought they would be able to get a vote on this today, but all our phone calls, emails, etc. have put them in a tail spin. Between now and tuesday we must continue to get the word out, and keep our wishes on the front burner of their collective minds. But on monday, we really need to hammer them hard, like last night and this morning, especially those of you with democrat senators. The only way to make the dems re-think their position, is to make them worry about their job. A couple of repubs need to have a wake up call slap them in the face to, DeWine of Ohio being the most outspoken. You Ohioans, get him! If he changes his position, many will re-think theirs. But we all need to continue to make this basic argument to ALL of our senators, "a liability bill to protect manufacturers is no good with an AWB attached, or a gun show 'ban' attached. Pass it 'clean' or not at all, or lose your job".
I will post a reminder sunday night and follow up on monday night/tuesday morning, because we can all get too busy to remember all the important things to do in a busy life. WE CAN GET WHAT WE WANT! We just have to do a very little but important work for it.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, we know. Senator Craig, who has been leading the charge for the bill's sponsors, has been saying "pass it clean" all day. Are you saying they've tabled it for tomorrow and Friday? What's up with that? I'm going to be watching tomorrow anyway just in case.

I think the sponsors are well aware of the planned Democrat strategy to load on the amendments, and they are ready for it and will not stand for it. They should have plenty of votes to defeat any gun control amendments handily. Nevertheless, in case there was any doubt about the acceptability of any of these amendments leeching onto our bill, I'm sure we all plan to stay on our senators until this is a done deal. But even the NRA has been saying loudly that the bill needs to be killed if a gun ban is hung on it. I don't think there's any confusion about that.

As I said before, the phone line to the Congress was jammed up around mid-day. I had to use my cell phone (a clever way I've found to get through to someplace when land lines are jammed) to call some people today, but it was well worth it.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    btt, for those who still are wondering what is happening

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040225/ap_on_go_co/gun_lawsuits

Getting the 1994 assault weapons prohibition renewed has been a Democratic priority this year. They picked up support Tuesday from GOP Sens. John Warner of Virginia, Mike DeWine of Ohio and Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island.

"Although I voted against the ban a decade ago, over the past 10 years it has reduced crime dramatically and has made our streets safer," Warner said. "The legislation also has protected the rights of gun owners better than many of us predicted."

The three GOP senators' support does not guarantee the amendment's approval in the Senate, but "this gives the effort to renew the assault weapons ban new momentum," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., sponsor of the original assault weapons ban.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How they can spew their venomous LIES, with a straight face is beyond me. The FBI, even the Brady bunch, as well as numerous others, have stated that the original AWB has done very little (if anything) to curb violent crime.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"Although I voted against the ban a decade ago, over the past 10 years it has reduced crime dramatically and has made our streets safer," Warner said.

Warner is publishing his ignorance of the facts. Right on, pa.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DeWine and Chafee likely will get away with their bull roar, but I suspect Sen. Warner may be held to task the next time he runs?

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Man, what a problem. Both of my senators are Dems. Zell Miller is a fine man, and is one of the few who is trying to save his party from becomming the new Communist Party of America. However, every vote he casts is cancelled out by the nauseating Max Cleland, who assumed the title "war hero" by blowing himself up with a hand grenade in a training accident. Cleland won't even respond to my calls or letters. My district, once represented by the very honorable Mac Collins, has been gerrymandered into a majority black district. My new representative stands for everything the other black "leaders" stand for- free ride for blacks, disarm whitey so he can't defend himself from teenage thugs when they want to rob and pillage, etc. It's hard to understand what he says, anyway, because he always sounds like he has a mouthful of cornbread when he speaks.

I can only hope that the conservative majority in Georgia will come through again this time, the way we have in the last few cases.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocklobster......Just my opinion but you may not be hearing from Max because he was defeated in the last election.
    I believe your Senators are: Zell Miller and Saxby Chambliss

Mudge the politico

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    You know, you're right- just call me stupid. I've been seeing all of these commercials on TV with Wonderful Max praising everything Kerry does just like he's still in office.
  • 357357 Member Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call Tom Daschle and get him to oppose the AWB.

The democrats listen to him since he's the senate minority leader, and he's up for reelection in a rural state in 04.

That's how you'll kill it.[;)]

Damn Feinstein and Schumer piss me off.
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by offeror
    Are you saying they've tabled it for tomorrow and Friday?

No. They hammered out a schedule for all the amendment proposals, how much time reserved time for the leaders etc etc. The schedule took them about 4 hours last night to hammer out. It was finally read into the record around midnight est. It took about 5 minuetes for the major whip assistant dude to read of all the verbage of the agreement.

They are gonna spend the today, Friday, Monday, and Tuesday all on this bill, the numerous proposed ammendments, and the votes on all those ammendments then the final vote (for the ammeneded bill) will take place on Tuesday.