In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FLY WEIGHT .338 BULLETS

pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Has anyonne here tried those 155, 165 grain Barnes x bullets in their .338s?? How well do they stabilize, how accurate at say, 300 yards, and how do they perform on game?? They seem way to light to me.

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI

Comments

• temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw one pig shot with a 338 win mag with a 185gr barnes xlc. It wasn't a huge pig, but big enough.About 225-250lbs. Shot was around 220 yds.It blew completely through his shoulder armor on both sides as it exited. Loaded to approx. 3200+ fps. -- Of all of those lighter bullets the barnes still penetrate all out of reason for their weight,so they work, but if you go below 185gr the sectional density goes away badly which is the reason the 338s have always been so good.I personally don't like anything lighter than 200 gr in the 338s. If I want to shoot lighter bullets I'll just go to a 300 or 7mm mag and retain the sectional density.-- I can't say how accurate they are at long range, but I saw this one group less than an inch at 100yds which is about what it would do with heavy bullets........[8D]