In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Going gun shopping tomorrow (updated)

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
edited August 2002 in General Discussion
I've decided it's time to add something compact to my collection. Up until now the only small piece I've owned is an old colt vest pocket 25. Recent events at work have made me feel a little insecure. Last week one of my coworkers was fired. The company had good reasons and it was the right thing to do. The problem is, the guy is showing up on company property every day twice a day. The guy is a known HEAVY drug user and very much a hot head. I also know he has quite a gun collection. The company refuses to do anything about these apearances, they think it's nothing unusual. Well, I do think it's unusual for a guy to travel 30+ miles to a job he no longer has twice a day. Anybody know the going rate for a good 38 snub? I'm thinking a detective special or a chiefs special strapped to my ankle might make me fell a little easier. I've got a pretty nice 6" k-22 I don't shoot much. Maybe I can get a decent trade in on it.

Woods

Edited by - woodsrunner on 09/01/2002 00:41:54

Comments

• Options
    Dyer_MakerDyer_Maker Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woodsrunner I would be worried too. Check out a taurus 85 in 38special. Quality is excellent, size is right for ankle rig and you should be able to pick one up for a good used around $200 to a new for a little over $300. I have one in the stainless ultra-lite, paid $329. I never leave home with out it.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talk to a detective at the local P.D.
    Get one of the Airweight or new lightweight S&W snubbies.
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Woods, remember what I need should you come upon one. An 8 shot magazine for a 1903 Colt 32. I appreciate your offer to look for it.

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Saxon, you've got mail.
    Charlie, no problem. I'm glad you reminded me. I remembered you, but couldn't recall whether you wanted a .32 or a .380 mag.

Some joker tonight tossed a firecracker into the locker room just as everyone was getting ready to leave. About half the guys I work with tried to crawl into thier lockers. I know I'm not the only one worried, I saw a 38 derringer tonight, that I didn't know about. For the time being I think I'll stop locking the 45 in my truck and start discreetly keeping it in my tool box. It's nice working for a company that doesn't have a weapons policy (rare around here). Still I'm afraid if they knew some of us carried to work they would create one. He didn't show up tonight on the night shift. Maybe he's finally got it in his head it's over with. I'm still not letting my guard down yet though.

Woods

Edited by - woodsrunner on 08/31/2002 02:31:23
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is going to seem an odd choice at first, but Charter is now making small frame snubbies in both .357 (ported) and .44 special five-shots, and they're extremely reasonable. If they have one with the pocket hammer, they're good shooters and a big bore is a comfortable feeling you might not get from a .38. They're relatively tiny for their caliber, and light too. They are okay with any ammo short of law enforcement pressure loads. I guarantee the Charter line has the smallest revolver frames, and smallest grips you'll find on display. The SP 101 is good too on a small frame.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TAURUS 605!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I managed to get out to 2 shops today. I was hoping to check out more but I got a late start. Took several possible trading pieces with me, A modified 73 winchester in 32/20, model 19 NRA Savage 22, and my model S&W model 17.

The first shop had 2 older Charter undercover's. The one with small grips($149.00) had about .010" of endshake. The second ($139.00) one with the bulky grips was pretty tight and decent with some minor finish wear. He'd give me $120.00 towards a trade for the Savage.

The second shop is one I've done lots of business with. He had a 99% Colt cobra priced at $275.00. He was interested in a trade on the S&W 17. I've also been looking for a Contender for a while now. He had a lightly used one in .357 Maximum 14", with a cheap scope on it. I don't care for the .357 max so I asked about a 375 winchester barrel for it. He pulls out a brand new 16" 375 barrel . He may have a buyer for the 73 winchester, we're negotiating a trade. I left the Winchester with him to show his customer. I have $495.00 in the winchester. I'm pushing my luck trying to get both barrels and a used 10" 22LR barrel he has. This second shop had just sold a U.S. Property marked Colt 32 auto with 2 factory mags. I don't think the gun went anywhere but some generals desk drawer it was beautiful. I was hoping to aquire one of the magazines for njretcop, but got there a couple weeks too late. I'm really kicking myself for not grabbing the .32 six months ago when I first saw it. Price was $550.00.

I'm still looking for a 38 snub. The "old" gun nut in me really wants a pre 1972 detective special. I am seriously considering the tighter of the 2 charters from the 1st shop. If I can talk him into swapping grips I might go for it.

I'm going out to my gun club for breakfast in the morning. I'll be making another stop on the way home. This shop always prices at a premium though. He's the most likely to have what I want, but, he underpays big time on trade ins.

Woods
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Hey Woodsey,does your 19 NRA have the original little knurled button on the underside of the mag(clip)?If so,it is worth more than any Charter Arms.

I`ve got about 8 simular savages,you know.

Oh yeah,I won`t even bring up the M-20s...

....oops,sorry about that,buddy!

Edited by - 218Beekeep on 09/01/2002 01:18:38
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yup, 218, the Savage has the little knurled knob and a savage windage adjustable tangent sight on it. But, it has a couple problems The magazine drops out after the third shot usually and the tangent sight wobles from side to side about .015". I've considered puting a small piece of shimstock in the sights dovetail to tighten it up.

Thanks for the consideration and not mentioning the Model 20's. I've about given up on finding one I can afford. I bet one in .250 savage would make a great deer gun. I'd be afraid to take it out in the snow though. Someday maybe....

So what do you think the Model 19 is worth?? My blue book is about 5 years out of date. I'd call it a 90% gun. The dealer seemed a little eager to get his hands on it, that's why I didn't jump too quick.

Woods
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I paid $55.apiece for 4 of those mags a few months ago,at a show.I`ve seen them on auction for over $85.each.

I bought a 19 NRA more recently for $85.
    with the original mag.Wouldn`t sell it for
    under $325.....and it ain`t near 90%.

• Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Hey Woodsey, Good move buddy, lol. That little Colt 32 you described is worth about twice the asking price in the condition you stated.

Someday you and I will both learn our lesson and BUY everything we see, haha.

Anyway, thanks again for trying. I appreciate it.

Charlie the disappointed

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com

Edited by - njretcop on 09/01/2002 21:12:31
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charlie; I probably should have bought it,but, I've vowed to only buy shooters from now on. The problem is I would carry it and before you know it the blue would be worn. I was holding out for a .380 at the time. If the auto industry would pick back up I'd be buying alot of things. When we were going gang busters a few years ago, I bought almost every good deal that came my way. Now I'm stuck trading. But, I do have alot of good trading material.

218; My model 19 even has what I was told is the origional sling. Does that add any value? It's made of khaki canvas and looks to be about as old as the gun.

After doing yard work yesterday afternoon my allergies and athsma was acting up big time. Passed on breakfast today and spent the day cleaning the gun room and reloading bench in the air conditioning where I could breathe.

That second shop also took in a used Dillon 550 yesterday. Said he was going to sell it for $100.00 less than the new ones he had in stock. That would be nice but not in my budget at present.

Woods

Edited by - woodsrunner on 09/02/2002 02:15:19
  • Options
    nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish I could trade my guns in for something bigger and better. Only problem is I'm stationed in Kalifornia and ain't a darn one legal here so I can't take 'em off the base. My all time favorite state to shop for guns will always be New Mexico. There was a little old lady in Alamagordo that had everything from street sweepers to Ak's, cases of ammo laying all over. Wish that 'ole gal was my grandmother.