In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AWB for dummies - help

FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2004 in General Discussion
For as long as I've been on the board I hear ppl talking about how ridiculous the AWB ban is and how it bans "military looking weapons" that are identical to hunting non-military looking ones that are legal.

I need someone to give me specifics about the ban so that I could be knowlegeable about it. I'd like to know, for example, which legal weapons are identical to the illegal "assault weapon". I'd like to be able to talk to someone about why the AWB doesn't make sense but I don't know enough about it.

Can y'all give me a nutshell view of the AWB and specific legal weapons that resemble illegal ones. A link that explains it well would do.

Thx. Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The 1994 Crime Bill retricts firearms based either on their model designation; like the Colt AR-15 which is a NAMED assault weapon or those firearms with certain number of "deadly features" such as pistol grips, flash hidders, grenade launchers, ect in addition to a detachable magazine. Whether or not the firearm looks like a military weapon in not material to it beig restricted. A post ban Colt Match Target rifle looks a lot like an AR-15 but since it has only a pistol grip (one AW feature is allowed) where as the pre-ban has a pistol grip, bayonet lug, and a flash hidder, the Match Target remains unrestricted. You could take a Browning BAR sporting rifle hang a bayonet lug on the barrel and a flash hidder and it would become an assault weapon under the ban since it has more than one deadly feature at that point. Ruger Mini-14's are unrestricted until they gain enough AW features to make them assault weapons. What these firearms actually look like has no effect as it is the number of assault weapon features they have attached that make this determination.

Mark T. Christian