In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M79 GRENADE LAUNCHER FOREND GRIP

Dwight4501Dwight4501 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in General Discussion
I am selling an old surplus M79 GRENADE LAUNCHER WOOD FOREND GRIP on eBay. I had it restricted to US bidders only. However, a bidder from Japan contacted me and wants to but it. But, USPS restricts any gun components from being exported to Japan. I believe from what I am reading that even though it is only a fore end grip it is still a part for a formidable weapon. Would this still be considered a gun component since all it is is carved wood? Thanks.
Dwight4501@aol.com

Comments

• Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I cannot answer your question, however, my motto to this is basically when in doubt it's probably not worth the risk anyway.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Section 38, Catagory II of the Arms Export Control Act of 1976 pretty much explains your problem:

Catagoty II- Artillery Projectors

a) Guns over caliber. 50, howitzers, mortars, and recoiless rifles.

b) Military flame throwers and projectors.

c) Components, parts, accessories, and attachments for articles in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this catagory, including but not limited to mounts and carriges for these articles.

As you mentioned, U S Postal regulations also prevent shipping this item since it is a firearms component, but I think the Arms Control Act of 1976 is a bigger problem to your plan. I'd also expect that this fellow would need an import license from Japan in addition and even though this is only a piece of wood it is a part of a destrictive device. I'd say to walk away from this Japanese sale.

Mark T. Christian