In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Plastic gas tanks? Update..

dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in General Discussion
Are plastic fuel tanks repairable? how? The main fuel (gasoline) tank on my 76 Dodge motor home was disconnected when I bought it, I plan on dropping it out this weekend to see what the problem is, and it would be a lot cheaper to repair it than replace it. [:D]
Don

Gizmogizmo.gif
eng.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~dgarriott/guns.html
Welcome to America...Now speak English.
````````````````````````
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    "Good" auto parts stores will have "plastic welding epoxy". It is a 2 part epoxy product that has an agebt in it that softens the surrounding plastic much like a primer does for PVC pipe. Most I have seen are rated for use with petroleum. should cost about $5 for a double barreled syringe full.

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Whatever you use, make sure the surface to be bonded is CLEAN, and rough it up some with sandpaper.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rich,
    This is what I was thinking about using: http://jbweld.net/products/water.php
    David,
    I think will have to sand to find the crack anyway I look at it, this is the oem tank from 1976. I might even look at bead blasting it.
    It is running with the reserve tank now, but at about 8-1/2 mpg, the 16 gallon reserve tank don't get you very far.[:(]
    Don

Gizmogizmo.gif
    eng.JPG
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    1FMJ1FMJ Member Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY DON;
    IF YOU NEED HELP GIVE ME A CALL<1FMJ>
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have never had any luck with the putty type epoxys. It seems like they have too much filler in them. Go to the parts store and tell them you want "plastic welding epoxy" they should know what you are talking about. it is a two parts chemical in a double barreled syringe type dispenser. Probably about $5 and ounce. It works, and is 90% of the time stronger than the plastics you are putting it on.

• Options
    CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy one of these, and use the appropriate plastic for the weld.

Steam clean the tank for at least an hour first. steam clean...hot water.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41592

If your beliefs aren't based in fact, TRUTH is the first casualty...
    penguins.gif
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    PLASTIC SURGERYis sold at your neighborhood Raley's, Kroger, Walgreens, WallyWorld, etc. and is made to repair plastics only. It's like JBWeld for the stuff you don't use JBWeld for!

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    I am trying to remember the stuff that is used to repair plastic motocross gas tanks. It is made for plastic gas tank repair. You could ask at a motorcycle shop or find a motorcycle dirtbike forum and ask.

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    I have used the 2 barrel epoxys to repair motor cycle engines. It will hold a aluminum case together. Bad a-- stuff.

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I had a 78 Ramcharger, that after having dual exhausts added, had a gas tank that leaked (the tailpipe heat melted it). I tried a few epoxies and leaks continued, until I got some stuff that was epoxy, but said it was specifically for places with constant contgact with gasoline. I forget what it was called, but was available at a good auto parts store.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I got the tank out ok, drained about 5 gal of varnish out of it, took it up to the quarter carwash and hosed it off, here is what I found:
    right rear, upper corner, along the seam:
    crack1.jpg
    Along the seam, right side;
    crack2.jpg
    I think I could do a epoxy/fiberglass patch but first I am going to make some calls on Monday first about getting a new tank, then about getting the cracks welded, (still might glass over after its welded[;)] )
    Thanks to every one for your suggestions![:D]
    Don

Gizmogizmo.gif
    eng.JPG
    ````````````````````````
  • Options
    austinaustin Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

Yes plastic fuel tanks can be repairable, Keep sharing & Reading!
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a high quality plastic welder that would fix that right up. If theres any auto body shops in your area they should be able to weld it for you.
  • Options
    GTRiemGTRiem Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it really plastic? or is it fiberglass...older boats had fiberglass gas tanks and the reson is solubile in alcohol.The newer ethonal gas "eats" these tanks bad.Alot of boat owners are having major problems w/ there gas tanks now.Just a thought.
    GTR
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet if he doesn't have it fixed yet he never will.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I repaired a crack on my plastic lawn mower tank with JB weld. It has not leaked in 6 months.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomh.
    I bet if he doesn't have it fixed yet he never will.

DG is still here posting so if he did fix the leaking tank, at least we know his motor home (or Don himself) did not burst into flames!