In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

One mad father!

wdstclair1992wdstclair1992 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
On Monday of this week My 5 year old daughter was given 3 prescription pills by a 3rd grader that told her it was candy.My daughter took them and put them into her mouth.By the time the bus arrived at the high school my daughter had to be rushed by ambulance to the er room.Luckily she through up the pills instead of having to have her stomach pumped out.The 3rd grader had took a purse her mother had given her that had medications in it.My daughter ingested an Anti-depressant,valium,and a heart medication,and had to stay overnight for observation.The school system has its own police force and the local law enforcent officials were never notified because the school police don't report to them.The 3rd grader got a 3 day suspension,and when she comes back to school on thursday she gets a discipline hearing and will be given a few weeks of alternative schooling.Is there any other school districts that have their own police force?.And I have been thinking the schools have pushed stay off drugs programs but have you noticed its mostly marijuanna and cocaine and alcohol,and not much on the dangers of prescription medication?.I have been thinking on writing a program to include prescription medications in the stay off drugs campaign.And also kids have been told to not accept "candy" from strangers.Maybe we need to include from other students as well?.I am sorry but I had to vent,and mommy's and daddy's when your kids get off the bus today give them a big hug and maybe have a talk with them about what not to take from other kids.And I hope none of you nice people don't ever have to go through what my family went through on Monday. Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments

• leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a myth that police are pro-active in stopping crimes. They are reactive. However, our legal system does allow for retribution with monetary gain. I would find a civil lawyer and file suit against the school district. Though it won't change what happened, it will make a statement, because money talks. And may pay for private schooling and possibly college tuition.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Were the other childs parents notified that they could be charged with endangerment. I'm not saying they should be, but it might cause them to be more careful in the future. While the poisoning was an accident they obviously gave their child an object that held drugs (even if they were prescription) at one time without properly checking it.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Any parent who allows a 3rd grader access to that type medicine deserves no mercy, in my opinion. You have to be responsible as a parent. I would think that you would certainly have grounds for compensation of your expenses from them. I understand your anger. I thimnk that you are controlling it admirably.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubt those pills tasted very much like "candy" - likely there was some coercion involved. Don't blame you for being angry. While it's probable the other child's parents are dirtbags (who else gives their kids stuff like this??), I would suggest you include them in the list of targets. What's to prevent *you* from reporting this to the local authorities, anyway?

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well the city of flint mi schools..just dropped any complaint against a kindergarten kid for bringing in an uloaded 38 revolver and waving it around...i for one in your case would file a complaint with the local pd and also contact an attorney..obvious the kid that supplied the drugs has access to controlled substances and that alone falls into child neglect and endangement...the parents need to stand accoutable for it...make the police take a report,,it is their job..if the patrol officer wont follow up.. contact the detective div

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • maboogermabooger Member Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad she's ok - what a scare.
    I don't think I would let the issue drop completely. The other parents are responsible as said. It may have been an accident but if not you could save another childs life. Atleast it will give you the peace of mind that you did eveythign you could and it will be on public record if any problems arise in the future.

About 5 years ago my oldest son was blind sided by a fellow student , knocked to the ground & hit his head on the way down. Set to ER to be checked
    Several witness, 2 teachers said it was not provoked, kid has "problems" anyways, was told by the school nurse it was going in the other boys record as an assult, his 3rd in less than 2 months. The principle , assured me that the discipline would be handled at school & that because he was in the "special" program they had to follow certain channels. After talking to several people , including the staff at the hospital, it should have been reported to the police because it is a felony to hit someone on school property but it seems the principal refused , told me it wasn't up to him. In the end when I did file a report the police agreed it was up to the principal. Looks better for his record & the schools if a parent files the complaint than the school district.

I'm with Iconclast -- reoprt it yourself & please keep us posted
  • wdstclair1992wdstclair1992 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just informed That I can go and file a report with the City police and if that doesnt do anything I will be going to the county Thanks for the responces they are helping me think more clearly and are giving me more ideals please keep them comming!