In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"Monument Men"...don't bother...

Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
While the premise sounds promising, I could not help but feel Clooney was trying to direct two separate movies, a Cohen Brothers-type dark comedy, and a "Saving Private Ryan"-esque war movie, and ended up with one movie with either a serious identity crisis or bipolar disorder.

I give it four thumbs down.

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that's funny, my sister in-law basically said the same thing. She said John Goodman was good in it, but that Damon and Clooney were not very good.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw it in the theater and loved it. Rented again last week so those in the family who didn't go got to see it. Everyone really enjoyed it. Guess that's why there is different flavors of icecream!!
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thought it was OK. Worst part was Obama's butt monkey starring and directing but knew that * was involved and wanted to see it anyway. Generally I avoid the Obama water boy. The only role his arrogant attitude ever helped was that movie about the guy who traveled to fire people. Made for him.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    I said in the other thread about this movie(shocker, there's more than one), that I had high hopes for this flick based on the cast and it was a giant dissappointment. Sadly, I bought it on a whim sight unseen, so I own this turd for eternity....
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only have $3 invested in my copy haven't watched it yet. So the juries still out on my end.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In general any movie where the director and the star is the same person should be avoided like the plague. There are exceptions but they are rare.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    We rented it 2 days ago.

The whole movie seemed a little off. Like it was spinning it's tires and couldn't get going good.

And it did look as if it was trying to ride the coat tail of private Ryan.
    It even had the old man many years later scene.
  • Options
    ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only way I will watch a movie with Clooney in it, will be at gunpoint.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He was great in the Facts of Life.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    that's funny, my sister in-law basically said the same thing. She said John Goodman was good in it, but that Damon and Clooney were not very good.

What movie has Clooney been good in? The only movie I would even give him half of a stumped thumb up to is, "Oh Brother".
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not pay one cent to see anything that libtard directs or produces.I bet his good buddy Obama wouldn't pay to see it either.[;)]POS scum sucking no good ahole pile of dung liberal. I cannot believe anyone on GB would pay to see his movies. Just my little insight.[:D] Oakie
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Just another LIB Hollywood type that I would not spend a dime on seeing in a flick. Wish he would just get married and live fulltime in Italy actually. Most reviewers thought the movie stunk....I wouldn't know...but WWII historians know the real story well and have known it well for years....heck, the guy who actually found the mtn still lives in southern DE.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    I said in the other thread about this movie(shocker, there's more than one), that I had high hopes for this flick based on the cast and it was a giant dissappointment. Sadly, I bought it on a whim sight unseen, so I own this turd for eternity....

Sounds like a giveaway is in order!!!! [:D]
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    If I let a person's politics direct my choices in movies, television shows, books, and music, the list to choose from would be a short one. Some of the greatest contributions to society in general, not just entertainment, have been made by people whose political and social philosophies are far different than mine.

I try to be objective and take it for what it is, not who is producing it. Only a truly narrow-minded person, or a liberal, cannot abide hearing opinions other than those that they themselves espouse.

I try not to throw the baby out with the bath water. In the case of this movie, I objectively believe it sucks.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Not bad I watched it last night. It did have a little trouble holding my attention.

I do like watching movies with John Goodman in it.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Queen of Swords
    If I let a person's politics direct my choices in movies, television shows, books, and music, the list to choose from would be a short one. Some of the greatest contributions to society in general, not just entertainment, have been made by people whose political and social philosophies are far different than mine.

I try to be objective and take it for what it is, not who is producing it. Only a truly narrow-minded person, or a liberal, cannot abide hearing opinions other than those that they themselves espouse.

I try not to throw the baby out with the bath water. In the case of this movie, I objectively believe it sucks.

Well, as long as you're objective about it. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I've made it a point for years not to see anything George Cloony is involved with.
    His comment about Charlton Heston REALLY pissed me off.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I had mixed feelings. On one hand, having a bit of a light tone with a WW2 movie isn't a problem. See Stalag 17 for a great example. Some go over the top- Inglorious buzzards for instance- and are quite entertaining.

I enjoyed it, but I think it would have been a lot better either as a straight up serious Band of Brothers style movie, or as a pure comedy. Trying to do both, it just lost its way. I'd give it 2.5/5 stars. Worth seeing, but I won't be seeing it again.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18

Sounds like a giveaway is in order!!!! [:D]

I bought it digitally on amazon or I'd happily give it away...
  • Options
    dotcom_guy30dotcom_guy30 Member Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We'll the wife picked up a copy but we haven't watched it yet