In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kalifornia Gun Law Stupidity

neatgunsneatguns Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in General Discussion
I recently sold a High Standard revolver on GB. The buyer, a California resident, has informed me that his FFL holder can't transfer the gun because it is not on the DOJ approved list. He says no Hi Std guns are approved unless 50 years old as C&R. How can this be??? I can see regulating products made after a law is passed but how can they actually ban a 30 year old American made gun? Does this mean a California resident who owned a collection of Hi Std or other non approved guns could only sell them to an out of state FFL? How do you get a gun "approved"? Madness!! You people really need to take control back out there.

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would think that the buyer that won your auction,
    would have enough sense to already know the laws in the state where he lives.
    Kalifornia is not the only state/city with such draconian laws.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    SurfSalvageSurfSalvage Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    Nope its true.

The California DOJ certification list is stupid and silly, but we have to deal with it.

No handgun that isn't currently manufactured and where the manufacturer has had their handgun certified by the state and added to the list can be imported into the state, their is one way that may or may not work, but that way requires physically bringing the handgun to a dealer(FFL) in California as the Seller from out of state and the Buyer meeting the Seller at the dealer and conducting a PPT (Private Party Transfer) from one indivdual to another.

I've bought several handguns that were not on the cert. list in California via the PPT, but never from someone out of State, although I've been told by dealers that it is the only legitimate way to buy a non-cert list/non-C&R handgun from out of state.
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is the buyers responsability to check the legality of any particular weapon prior to bidding. If he can't take delivery of it then that is between him and the dealer. This is just one more in the never-ending list of reasons why I will never live in CA.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"<P><br>
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aren't most of the laws in Cali stupid?

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    Any smart Cali resident will get a C&R license and mail order his pistols. No background check, no stupid test or permit, next day air straight to your mailbox...For now, they are working on legislation to stop that too....But I don't care- I'm here temporarily.

Let's change the laws and quit bickering about them. One man CAN change the status quo.