In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

"BET" channel on cable.....

RedchesRedches Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Does this channel not irritate some of you? I believe it stands for "black entertainment television" or something like that. So, HOW is that not "discriminating" or "racist"....to devote a channel to one particular race? Can you imagine what would happen if I tried to start a "white" entertainment channel? The crap would hit the fan would it not? If I ever do I will call it "WET".

Comments

• idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to realize that ALL the other channels are white entertainment channels. The African-American actors on all the other channels are just "token blacks" but the shows are predominantly white and are targeted to a white audience. Who controls most of the money? White people. Therefore, TV show producers create entertainment designed to target predominantly white audiences in order to attract the most advertising dollars. Other than BET, everything else is white entertainment.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Good case in point IDS however we are not afforded the opertunity to call it WHITE TV, that is the point. And if everyone wants an even playing field, whey should there be a "Black entertainment Television" seems to me its like, "I can have it but you cant" type thing.

And just cause they have it, dont mean we have to have it, just seems to be out of balance somehow>>>>

I did some research some time back, and found over 100 national organizations with the Word "Black" or "African American " in the title. and only 4 with the Words "White or Aryian" and these were considered subversive and racial Organizations. FAIR AND BALANCED Yea Right!!

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
    edited November -1
    The fact that more advertising dollars are generated by "white entertainment" is a statement in and of itself. It is a statement that says "I'd prefer to watch white artists and actors". It's not stated in the same terms as "Black Entertainment Television" but it's a much stronger and louder statement. The term "BET" is a mere whisper compared to the statement that is made by the notion that most Americans would rather just watch white artists and actors.
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Heck, dream big: a GunBroker Channel
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Irritate me? Of course, but it's not the only channel that does.

Now GunBroker television would be cool, kinda like QVC for men huh[:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    Okay, heading to the gunsmith for some help. I can't believe everyone is letting me get away with this [}:)]
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a BET and also the network Stars has a channel dedicated to the Black audience.IMHO there should be no channels set aside for any particular race.Like the Spanish HBO channel,if your going to live in America you need to speak English.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Additionally, caucasians do most of the work, pay most of the taxes, and buy most of the televisions and programming in this country. There is substantially more than 13% of programming on the other channels targetting the black audience.

Not only that, most black entertainers are tasteless, foul-mouthed and vulgar.
  • babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you ever heard of EBONY magazine? It, also is entirely devoted to the black audience. I've seen Uncle Ben's rice advertised, but not white rice..also Aunt Jamima's syrup, but no Karo white.....sorry[}:)][:D].....B.B.
  • kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BET is just MTV without the reality shows.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Fox has plenty of Black oriented programs-COPS leaps to mind........

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I hang with Classic095 and Rocklobster on this one. And SearchS: GOOD ONE!

Funny how if anyone tried to create an organization starting with the name the WHITE..... or even the YELLOW... group it would be condemended as racist coming out of the gate.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • RedchesRedches Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also , while we are on the subject,is Indian Reservations. I feel Indian Reservations are stupidity. We conquered this land 150 plus years ago , Took over and settled. Done deal. Several generations later, We are STILL having to subsidize people because of their "Race".... What,a crock, of sheet. Its just stupidity. I say we leave the Native Americans the land they have now on the Reservations and completely, absolutely drop ALL payments to people with "indian blood"....Talk about racist/unfair treatment... Where is MY check every month? Complete B S

PS, Res's are almost as bad as Afro Americans wanting to be "reimbursed " because Great great great grandaddy was a slave and that has somehow affected the way they turned out as "americans"....Once again B S !!!!!
    edited November -1
    Redches--It was white folks that signed the treaties and agreed to a certain degree of compensation. Don't worry though. The Native American will be extinct in a few generations.
  • jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Additionally, caucasians do most of the work, pay most of the taxes, and buy most of the televisions and programming in this country. There is substantially more than 13% of programming on the other channels targetting the black audience.

Not only that, most black entertainers are tasteless, foul-mouthed and vulgar.

Edited by - Rocklobster on 02/16/2004 4:49:43 PM

I think the above statement say's it all.
    JW

fc6cb6ef.gif
    Southaven.gif
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, having racial named scholarships, channels, etc is annoying, but this is turning into a racist thread and I'm not so I'll just stop here...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.