In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scholarship created for Whites Only..

ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,111467,00.html

This is great.. They got scholarships for just mexicans, and just blacks.. which nobody yells about, but I bet this will stir up the stink. I'm all for it though!

Scholarship Created for Whites Only

Sunday, February 15, 2004

BRISTOL, R.I. - A student group at Roger Williams University (search) is offering a new scholarship for which only white students are eligible, a move they say is designed to protest affirmative action (search).

The application for the $250 award requires an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness."

"Evidence of bleaching will disqualify applicants," says the application, issued by the university's College Republicans.

Jason Mattera, 20, who is president of the College Republicans, said the group is parodying minority scholarships.

"We think that if you want to treat someone according to character and how well they achieve academically, then skin color shouldn't really be an option," he said. "Many people think that coming from a white background you're automatically privileged, you're automatically rich and your parents pay full tuition. That's just not the case."

The stunt has angered some at the university, but the administration is staying out of the fray. The school's provost said it is a student group's initiative and is not endorsed by Roger Williams (search).

Mattera, who is of Puerto Rican descent, is himself a recipient of a $5,000 scholarship open only to a minority group.

"No matter what my ethnicity is, I'm making a statement that scholarships should be given out based on merit and need," Mattera told the Providence Journal.

His group took out a full-page ad in last week's issue of the university's student newspaper to tout the scholarship, which was for $50 until two donors came forward to add $100 each during the weekend, Mattera said.

It's not the first brush with controversy for the group. The school temporarily froze the Republicans' money in the fall during a fight over a series of articles published in its monthly newsletter. One article alleged that a gay-rights group indoctrinates students into homosexual sex.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
banner-small.jpg
www.awbansunset.com

Comments

• 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    THIS IS MS 0311MARINE,
    As a college student myself, I look around my campus and notice that more than half of the students are of "minority" ethnicities. More minorities are getting admitted in my school than white students, and not that I hold anything against people of a minority, but I find that as a white American, I have a smaller chance of entering universities such as mine than if I were from Japan,(who of which will most likely recieve a large scholarship, and upon graduating, return to Japan to further his own economy). I believe that the people upholding affirmative action, who are basing their whole regime around "racism" are doing much of the same thing towards the white race, I think if we can find a good balance of scholarships for example, made for people of every ethnicity including white, we can stop racism on an "unspoken" level. I say unspoken for no-one speaks about how whites are all of a sudden being descriminated against in subtle but effective ways. For example, If i was a mexican immigrant trying to start up a business in california, the goverment would fund me before any white individual, because i am simply a "minority". Who is the minority now?

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I first thought,"this is going to get interesting" then I read the amount of money and decided it probably won't do any good unless it can qualify as a legit scholarship. Let's hope they can raise more money and we'll see what happens.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that Puerto Rican kid can see the unfairness of race based scholarships and do something about it, perhaps the melting pot of America has a chance to survive afterall.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    i agree

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I'll kick in $50 a year on a perpetual scholarship.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Not sure if this one counts, but in one of my Grad School classes (Business Ethics), there are approximately 25 students, of which I am the ONLY white male in there. I was really surprised. What a stark dicotomy of demographics.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the idea of getting rid of race-based scholarships/grants in favor of economic-based scholarships/grants. However, I've seen VERY few scholarships for Japanese or any other foreign students. In fact, they're not even eligible for any federal financial aid, and I don't think very many states provide financial aid to foreign nationals (or even out of state). What school is providing special scholarships for foreign nationals? Is it some sort of exchange program or fellowship?

quote:Originally posted by 0311marine
    THIS IS MS 0311MARINE,
    As a college student myself, I look around my campus and notice that more than half of the students are of "minority" ethnicities. More minorities are getting admitted in my school than white students, and not that I hold anything against people of a minority, but I find that as a white American, I have a smaller chance of entering universities such as mine than if I were from Japan,(who of which will most likely recieve a large scholarship, and upon graduating, return to Japan to further his own economy). I believe that the people upholding affirmative action, who are basing their whole regime around "racism" are doing much of the same thing towards the white race, I think if we can find a good balance of scholarships for example, made for people of every ethnicity including white, we can stop racism on an "unspoken" level. I say unspoken for no-one speaks about how whites are all of a sudden being descriminated against in subtle but effective ways. For example, If i was a mexican immigrant trying to start up a business in california, the goverment would fund me before any white individual, because i am simply a "minority". Who is the minority now?

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like I said, who's the real racists? B.B.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    For some od reason I though ruger270man was opening a hole can of beans in this topic[:D] Come to find out he has an actual story.

I'm all for it, where do you donate????

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    'Bout Damned Time! Tired of really being the "minority!" We're still "losing" though.........even though the score is now 972,404 to 1, there is still a hell of a ways to go.........!!!!

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:I like the idea of getting rid of race-based scholarships/grants in favor of economic-based scholarships/grants.
    I had some health problems and lost my job and have started college full time at the age of 37. My wife works a low paying job and I have 3 kids. I applied for economic based school aid and found out I qualified financially but I was not a minority so I did not qualify. The person flat out told me if I was a female, single parent, or Indian or Black it would be a different story.

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    A $50 scholarship, wow. That will pay for about 20 minutes at college.

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

alf.gif
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Rory - you've missed the point. It's not the money - it's the philosophy.

Besides... with our couple of commitments, it's now $350. My eldest daughter works hard, every year, to add a few small scholarships to her large one. Believe me, a few hundred dollars makes a difference to a poor and struggling college student.

I think we GBers ought to take this ball and run with it. Make it a truly meaningful statement the rejects racism.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    I did get the point Doug. I think constantly how much someone would be hated if they created a White Student Union (to complement the Black Student Union and the Latin American Student Union) on campus. Everyone who joined it would be branded as a member of the KKK. I always thought it'd be interesting to try to join the Black Student Union and see what happens. If they don't let me in, sue for discrimination![}:)][:D]

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

alf.gif
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Mike now what in the world are you getting at???

Besides a good point![:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where is Jesse Jackson when you need him?[}:)][}:)][}:)][:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Affirmative action and the like is simply politically correct racism with a misleading name. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I know is that I started working off the farm at 16, I worked at a manual labor job to put my wife through school and a back injury ended that 6 year "career" so I had to go back to school. Now, I've had 2 back surgeries and have even had to file for bankruptcy a few years ago because I simply couldn't keep up with the perpetual medical expenses. After all this, I was ineligible for SSI (for temporary, or for career relocation), and I have yet to qualify for any grants or anything even though I've maintained a 3.69 GPA. Ironically, if I would have divorced my wife I probably could have been eligible (or been a minority).

*annoyed in okc*
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.