In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hunting Bristle Britches with Black Powder

KroozerKroozer Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
[?]I've long been a smoke pole shooter. But, I haven't been in the field with the long gun. I've got a 54 cal Lyman Hunter, shoot 120 grains of FFG behind a 505 grain conical. Out here in California our wild pigs go anywhere from 100 - to 700 pounds. I know my set up will work. But also know my distance is limited to rainbow shots at 200 yards.

What Load/Bullet combo would you recc for, say an average 300-400 pound pig, with enough speed and flatter trajectory to make a one shot kill at 200 yards ?

For any of you out in these left coast environs, where would my best chance come from, to hunt inexpensively with maybe a 25-50% chance of success? I don't want to pay those high prices of the central coast, and I don't want to travel more than 300 miles away from the Grape Vine pass on highway 5 (Southern California). My time in the field is more of a time with nature. Shooting a pig is fairly important, but I'd have to say it is secondary to just being out there.

Any suggestions, specific hookups, are appreciated.

Risk nothing, and stand still. You'll be one of the first to be eaten.

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 50gr Pyrodex pellets behind a saboted 240gr XTP JHP works for me (and my Encore), but I do't know if making that radical a change to your prefered weaponry is allowed.
    Other than that, all I can suggest is that you get closer and stay within your +/- 3" point blank range limits.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, you're kind of all over the place with that post. [;)]

I think tailgunner has it right, just keep the load the same and get closer. I wouldn't think of shooting at a deer at 200 yards - even with my inline, let alone a 700 pound pig. Many agencies consider 500 footpounds the minimium for deer which whould weight 1/4th of what you're saying a huge pig would wear, so by theory the minimum required energy would exceed what a smokepole can do at the muzzle. Of course, theory and real life aren't the same thing, but why risk an animal for the sake of a long-distance shot?
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.