In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vapor Trail

Compact_KidCompact_Kid Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Is it possible see a bullets vapor trail and point of impact with a spotter scope that is out of focus? My brother mentioned he heard a reference to this on the History Channels sniper show. Anyone else hear or seen this?

Comments

• ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I saw it too.. It was about snipers..... You can see it with a scope, but you need to have the right light.....[:)]

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member... NRA & Friends of the NRA
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS
    Thanks for all the help!
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    You can also see a vapor trail when it is cold and the barametric preasure is low.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guy was trying for a 1400 yard shot. His "max range" was 1100 yards. He fired and missed. His spotter had watched the vapor trail, with scope out of focus.
    Spotter said, five to the right, up five. The sniper adjusted and made the kill.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    how many people watched that on here

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw it.
    The dedication these guys had to "Duty, Honor, Country" was truly impressive!

Tideman

"Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you shoot a mini 14 at night and use a million candlepower spotlight, you can see the bullet go downrange. Try it yourself and see! We do it all the time on the farm here.

Got Guns?
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The worst part about being the spotter is not blinking. I have a hard time with it, not because of the noise, but when I stare through a scope my eyes start watering so I have to blink more. It has cost me more than one shot in the field. [:(!]

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.