In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading with a progressive (dillon)

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I've been looking at Dillon reloading presses for some time. Let me ask a few dumb (uneducated) questions about them.

First, if using a progressive, does it eliminate the need for some of the other components such as a scale? The XL650 or the 1050 seem like you just drop in an empty and keep pulling the handle and it spits out loaded ammo. I assume you'll still need case prep tools right?

Second, I see the 650's advertised as rifle or pistol. Does that just mean which plate it comes with? It seems like they were interchangeable.

The reason I ask is because if a few of the deals I got going actually work out I'll have some extra and I want to get one of the better models. This will be for loading 10mm pistol ammo. I'll likely get a single-stage later for my hunting rifle loads (although some say the Dillon is about as good as you can get by using a single stage). I ordered their catalog and maybe that'll explain some of it...
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Dillon is the best going right now. I have a 650.
    You'll need to measure your powder to get the powder slide set and after that you can leave it and just keep pulling the handle. If you shoot competition, you'll still need to check every time, but for gen. purpose, it'll be + or - a tenth of a grain occassionally, but ususally dead on.
    You still need case prep.
    650 does both rifle and pistol. You just change the powder funnel and powder slide and the little dinkus in the brass feed tube.
    And you change plates for most every caliber but some are interchangeable. Like I can use the same plate and brass feed tube dinkus for 7.62x39 and 30-06. The book has a table that tells all the caliber interchangable parts.
    The powder funnel and slide need only be switched when changing from rifle to pistol and vice-versa. The slide is adjusted for each type of load.
    They send you a step by step video that answers ALL the questions, and they send all the tools needed to do the changes.
    Dillon are guaranteed for life, even if you sell it, the guy who buys it still gets the guarantee. Have you been to their website?
    The 650 is truly a work of art.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 550B. It's an excellent machine. A little slower than the 650, I'm sure. And not as many features. Still, it will load about any caliber. And faster than I can shoot 'em!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I check the powder flow with the scale every ten rounds at first then every one hundred when it gets cooking. If you are just loading pistol ammo for practice you can crank out a ton on a progressive. Wish they sold primers in a tube ready to go though. That loading the tube with the pick up stick slows me down a lot.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its been ages since i pulled a handle, i got spoiled on all that free ammo in the military. i have a 550 collecting dust in a corner. what is the difference btwn the 650 and the 550. i forgot and i'm miles away so i cant even look. something about brass feed and finished bullet ejection, if i remember?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • spike449spike449 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bambi, you didn't say in your post if you were going to reload pistol or rifle. Pistol, I find are much easier to reload because they need much less case prep.

I also, have a Dillon 550B and LOVE IT!! I am more finickey about the reloads and don't quite get 500 an hour, but they sure pour out of the press much faster than the RCBS Rock Chucker (single stage press). I shoot IDPA, Glock matches and lots of target in 9mm, 45ACP, 38/357 and 223. So the machine gets worked a lot. Probably reloaded 5000 rounds since fall.

Rifle cases require a lot more case prep, and I find I use the single stage press to decap and size. That allows you to trim the pre sized case and trim to length without a primer. Then put them thru the Dillon for the remaining steps.

One thing to be aware of, to change from caliber to caliber, while easy because of Dillons great engineering, is expensive. You need a dedicated tool head, powder die, caliber conversion kit (for the shell plate, retaining pins, powder drop tube) set of dies and , if your luckey, a dedicated powder measure to speed your conversion. Plan on $120 to $170 per caliber. Have more invested in dies, etc than the machine. HOWEVER, these things sell for 90% of new price on E-bay, so you don't seem to lose much $$$.

Still having trouble reloading .223 for a match chambered rifle and am not sure what is going on. Any hints from the pros woud be appreciated.

Feel free to e-mail any questions.
    Happy loading

Good judgement comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgement. Gen. Omar Bradley
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a got a 550B about 6 months ago, best thing I've done in along time. I currently load 45ACP, 44MAG, 357MAG, 40S+W, 308WIN, and 500S+W. Awsome machine love it.

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spike449
    Bambi, you didn't say in your post if you were going to reload pistol or rifle.

Yes I did... [;)]

quote:Originally posted by bambihunter
    This will be for loading 10mm pistol ammo. I'll likely get a single-stage later for my hunting rifle loads

Thanks for the tips guys. I will start looking more seriously at them.
  • Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best advice I ever got on reloading was to start off with a single stage or a turret type single stage press. Then once you get familiar with the operation of reloading SAFELY, you get yourself into a progressive machine. The bottom line is no matter whether you buy a single stage or a progressive you will end up buying a few times over the price of the press for accessories. Even with the package deals you will end up buying extras and duplicates of many of the included items just because often the included items such as a funnel,scale are just not as accurate as you will want in the future.

Scales are needed in a progressive press to check throw weights of the powder measure. You will also need to buy primer pickup tubes and various other not included parts, best to buy a progressive reloading book or video to get a better idea on what you are getting into.
    Yes you still need to prep your cases to ensure accuracy and continuity of your loads .

The plates are interchangable, as for myself I have a few extras with my dies permanently mounted for most often used calibers.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bambi, spike449's post mirrors my opinion / experience to three decimal places. Because of the set up time and tooling cost, it's best to use the Dillon for large volume loading and stay with a single stage for smaller runs.

bigdaddy - Dillon has a special machine to load the tubes automatically, something on the order of $200 if I recall correctly. Me, I just have a lot of tubes and when I'm making a run, keep the flipper, primers and tubes by the TV. Great way to use the commercial time.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will be well served with the Dillon 550B, I load all my pistol calibers on it as well as my .308's. It is fast, simple and turns out superior ammunition. I think the 550B is more versatile than the 650 but not as fast. I may be wrong, but does the 650 auto index when loading rifle rounds? The 550 has the advantage that you can back it up and double check. I like the manual index feature of the 550 better than the auto index feature of the 650. The best thing to do is call Dillon and have them send you out the video of the 550 and the 650, you can get a really good idea of each step of the reloading process and make a decision based on that.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Bambi- I've had my 550 for 8 years now, I load .32acp, 32H&R Mag, 38 Super, .38Spl, .357 Sig, .357Mag, .40 S&W, .45ACP, .30M1, .223, .30-30, .308, .300WM, 7mmRemMag, and 9mm. Blue Boy and I have loaded almost a million rounds so far without a hiccup.
    Dillon stuff comes with EVERYTHING you need unlike LEE or RCBS progressives; but you'll still need a decent scale, case lube, trimmers, calipers, etc. for case prep.
    The primer tube thing freaked me out at first, but now I just slide the primer box open to match the number of cases I have, plop them into the cover for my lee primer, shake 'em a little to get all the primers the same way, and pop, pop, pop they go into the soft plastic fingers of the primer tube.
    I was worried that I couldn't trust some machine to throw powder as well as I could, but when I set the 550, I am confident that every charge is within the tolerance of my digital scale's readings, so I set it and forget it.
    Rifle rounds that use very large amounts of powder used to be a drag till Dillon came out with their Magnum charge bar; now I can load the 7mm & 300's as accurately as I can by hand, but MUCH faster.
    The USAMU uses Dillon presses; I can't think of a better recommendation.
    Be sure to get the replacement parts kit, too; it'll save your butt when you step on that primer pickup tube.

For a match chamber .223; get the neck bushing dies from Redding.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the tips guys, I appreciate it. [:)]