In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just Saw Anti-gun Simpsons cartoon show

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My 22 year old daughter (both of us NRA members) were just outraged at the latest Simpsons cartoon show. Not only was it a distorted, lieing piece of anti-propoganda, but it wasn't even funny. I would think the writers of the Simpsons would be embarrassed to pawn off on the public such obvious and heavy-handed propoganda. It was anti-NRA and anti-gun. It acted out all the lies and exagerattions we usually hear from the anti-gun people. Such as gun owners are nuts and dangerous. The show depicted a shooting range and of course all the shooters were nuts. They had machine guns, one lady even had a gernade and of course they were all careless and shooting everything in sight. Even had one scene when Homer was attacked by two robbers. One runs off when Homer pulls his gun, but the other robber is afraid to run but then as you can prredict, the robber is able to grab Homer's gun and turn it on the Simpsons. Then Homer simpson told how he loved his gun, it had a hold oover him, and now he knew how God felt when he held a gun. Even showed the kids finding Homer's hidden gun and almost shooting each other. Homer himself had several gun accidents in his home and almost killed some of his family members. Man, I used to not like that show, but now I HATE IT.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"

Comments

• ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If shes 221, how old are you?

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Dont you know sarcasasm??
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the Simpsons also had a VERY pro-gun episode a couple of years ago during thier 3-part Halloween special, in fact it was talked about here.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't let it bother you it is only the stupid simpsons!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    This anoys me worst then complaining about a movie its a CARTOON.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wasn't that the episode where they kicked Homer out of the NRA because he was being so careless with his pistol? Using it to turn off the light, turning off the T.V. and using it to open up his beer? Then at the end they are saved by the other members of the NRA from the theif?

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Man, I used to not like that show, but now I HATE IT.

It's a cartoon, for cryin' out loud. Nothing is sacred in comedy. Chill out.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To quote Bart Simpson:"Don't have a cow, man"! The show pokes fun at everyone and everything and has had some good pro-gun episodes too. I recall several years a go being over at a friends house where his two children were watching the show. This man owned a rifle, a shotgun, and two small caliber handguns and was never much concerned about his firearms rights. In that particular episode Homer's long lost half-brother (voiced by Danny Davitto) starts handing out gifts to the family and gave Bart a membership to the NRA. Well my friends two kids, who knew about the NRA from the safety videos I'd given to their father, just about went nuts. If Bart Simpson was an NRA member then the NRA must be "way cool". They pestered their old man so much that I signed him up and he is now a life member and has recruited dozens of others to the cause...thanks Bart!

Mark T. Christian
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    The writers of 'The Simpsons", like the writers of one of my other favorite shows,'Monty Python's Flying Circus' are what I like to call,"equal opportunity offenders". Nothing is sacred, just the way it should be. Nobody should take themselves too seriously.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I've been watching the Simpsons since they were 1 minute blurbs on the Tracey Allman Show. My wife has never understood my watching the show. I've tried to explain to her that it is more like real life than the news. Friends go into business together and end up stabbing each other in the back. Kid tries to be bad to fit in with the cool kids. Cops halt a high speed pursuit because there's a bill board for a new doughnut flavor. All kinds of reality based ideas taken to the extreme. I've seen more of myself in Homer than twenty years on the shrink's couch could show me and I was able to laugh at it and then do something about it. There was one show where some folks were up to no good and everyone in Springfield pulls out a gun on them, kids, moms everyone. I thought it was hilarious. Reminded me of here thirty years ago.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    A perfect example of how Hollywood is dominated by perverts, antigun nuts, psychos and similar vermin degenerates. I am not surprised anymore by any of it.
    We must defend the 2nd ammendment before our children are brainwashed by these degenerate perverts.

~Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour~
    ~Proud member of the NRA and The John Birch Society~
    ~Protecting the 2nd Ammendment and United States Sovereignty~

-Firearms that I like to shoot-

Ruger_KP4C.gifT_22B3.jpg597LR.jpg
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    wwell.....ok....I. guess it...wasn't that bad then. But don't ever have doubt that a cartoon show can sometimes be used more effectively than real actors to brainwash the public. And yes I can "recoginze sarcasm" but I don't like that "sarcasm" when it is used to demonize objects I like to own like guns and to help undermine my right to do so. And as far as it being "only a cartoon" well, it was "only" Janet Jackson's breast on television during SuperBowl half-time.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    SOUTH PARK DOES THE SAME THING WITH THE HUNTER AND THE VIETNAM VET.DEPICTING GUN ENTHUSIAST'S AS CRAZY GUN TOTING PSYCHOPATHS.BUT IT'S ONLY A CARTOON.I REALLY DONT LIKE THE MESSAGE THEY ARE TRYING TO SEND OUT.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen that episode several times. At first I was angry, until I realized that it was poking fun at people's stereotypical ideas of the gun debate. It showed the entire spectrum, from the liberals idea that guns are evil and gun owners are dangerous/careless (ie Homer in that episode) to the NRA's promotion of gun safety (expelling Homer for carelessness) and how they can be used to prevent crimes and save people in trouble. If the episode comes on again, give it another chance and see what you think.

Not to repeat every else, but that show also has had some pretty pro-gun shows. As was stated above, the Simpsons base their comedy on poking fun at all aspects of life, and go after democrats, republicans, methodists, born agains, presbytarians, skaters, musicians, . . . everyone and everything. In other words, you can't really take a single episode as proof of political bias as the next epsidode might very well spoof the opposite viewpoint. I hated the show for the first season or so until I saw that they were an equal opportunity spoofer and weren't taking themselves or anything else very seriously. Now I'm a fan and look forward to new shows on Sunday evenings.

http://ynot4free.com
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:(!] I'm sorry... I can take a good joke and enjoy SNL or Mad TV ,but the type of crap posted here that the simpsons show did is a backdoor to the minds of the uninformed. We can't ignore this type of propaganda ,it will come back to bite us in the * someday.that wasn't funny it was brainwashing at its' best.[xx(] [V]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Matt Groening IS pro-gun... In fact, I have the Simpsons trivia game and one of the questions is "what does the cash register show when maggie is scanned?" The answer is NRA4EVER

They truly do make fun of everything, they even have made fun of themselves, thier parent network (fox), thier producer (Matt Groening), and even his other shows (King of the Hill).

If this episode is the only one you've ever seen then I could see why you'd think that. Also, that is not their latest show, that episode was from at least a couple years ago...

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.