In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

PICKUP DUAL BATTERY SYSTEMS

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I a getting ready to install a second battery on the 1977 Ford F150 I got recently.It has a place on the drivers side inner fender to mount one.I have a HD switch made for motorhomes that allows you to use one battery or the other,both,or as a kill switch.Or I could also just add a second starter solinoid to kick in the second battery to jump start the first one. I also have a electronic battery isolator that I will be using.I also have plenty of heavy cable,big heavy duty terminal ends,a heavy duty crimping tool for cables and insulated clamps to attach the cable to the body.I have done complete rewiring on old cars and trucks before and have a half dozen books on automotive and marine wiring.I just want to know who else has done this and was it worth the trouble ? I know from the past that a dead battery in the woods is not fun.What say ye,
EvilDr235

Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just get a battery booster pack and take it with you to the woods.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    better safe than sorry.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My Dodge Cummings Diesel has a 24 volt system, with 2 batteries...I really do not have much of an idea on how it works though[:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    ECC -

Your Cummins has a 12v system with two batteries... Positive to positive. Negative is common.

Twice the cranking amps of a single battery. The down side is that the system is no stronger than the weakest battery.

Nord
  • 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had two on my camping truck the diode isolator didn't work,the ford starter solinoid is not rated for 100% duty cycle,they make one just for what you want 20-$25.

I liked it alot cb/lights/stereo/waterpump w/o worrying about starting in the morning and if I left my head lights on I had a spare bat.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a really good system. Especially if you are pulling a camper. If you're careful you can leave a camper on a battery for two or three days on a single battery and have lights and power for the water pump. The tow vehicle doesn't have any trouble keeping a second battery charged with an isolator. And it would be worth the price, just for the peace of mind knowing your truck was going to start when you get back to it, if you leave it for a few days out in the boonies.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Had one on an old Scout. It worked like a charm. Mechanic jerry rigged it somehow, I have no idea, but it never failed me and i could use the winch hard and heavey.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Multi battery setups are either Parallel or Series. Parallel is two batteries hooked together positive to positive/negative to negative, this setup gives you the same 13.8 volts (not 12) but twice the amperage and is used in vehicles that have a lot of battery dependant items. Tractor-trailer trucks usually have 3-4 batteries for the cranking amps and all the lighting and accessories. If you hook the batteries in a Series which is positive to negative then you will have a 24-volt system (do the math for actual voltage, 13.8Xs 2). Not something you will find on many vehicles! If you want to run accessories separate from your starter battery and don't want a parallel setup then you one of the easiest ways to do that is to wire a separate system. What you do is instead of having the main feed to your fuse box coming off the solenoid you only run one cable from one battery to it and the main line that would come from the solenoid to the fuse box gets hooked to the slave battery. An isolator would be needed from the alternator to charge the batteries together without any trouble, you could also run a second alternator and have it connected to the slave battery only. It is not hard to do if you are handy with wiring. I would recommend a Parallel setup with two fresh batteries and a high output alternator this way both batteries share the load and won't discharge as fast. If you want a separate system with a slave battery I would recommend a deep cycle marine battery for the vehicle load and a regular battery for the starter.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to be real big into car audio, I can say with reservation that a dual battery system WILL get you going, but so will much easier methods (the portable battery pack for instance). Also, if you decide to do this, you don't need to rewire all what you mentioned. I used to carry a short piece of cable (the same size as the cable going to your battery isolator) and if needed, I simply pressed this several inch "jumper" into place and then started the vehicle. I used it at least twice that I can think of, it took 30 seconds to use and a few minutes to make.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will be using the second battery mainly as a jumper battery.I already have everything I need to do this.If I install a drop in camper,it will be use to power it also.I also have two voltage gauges to keep an eye on things. I work in a wrecking yard,so I have many options as how I will windup doing it.I have seen Ford cars from the early 1970s that dual alternators,with one that was 110 volts if I remember right.When I finish it,I will file a full report.Thank you for your replys,

Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    evildr, I know of a guy that used a motor to turn I think it was 5 alternators and he used it for welding years ago. I really don't know much about how he did it or what he modified but it supposedly worked really well (this was in the days before reasonable portable welders).
    Good luck.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.