In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Glock 29.

cntrmasscntrmass Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
If anyone here has one of these pistols I would like to know how hard the recoil is.I am a average size guy but I shot asmall polymer frame .45acp a few times and one of the things I didnt like was the recoil was a bit harsh so I dont know what a 10mm will feel like in a 24 ounce gun.Im interested in hearing how harsh the recoil is compared to what?

Comments

• Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    harsh, but easily manageble(sp). the sharp recoil of the 10mm cartridge isnt as well attenuated by the light frame of the glock, as say the heavier frame of the colt delta elite or smith 10-series, but its manageble

i dont own a 29, or any glock chambered in 10 for that matter, but have shot one. not bad enough to shy away from by any means...

nremtpatch.jpgNever bring an ambulance to a gun fight till it's over.emt.jpg
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Bambihunter has one...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I think Mike, AKA, Bambihunter has 1 10mm of every one produced. [8D] Thant being said there is nothing wrong with the 29 and it is managable. I have a S&W1076 for CCW only because it is flater. One less 10mm round is no big ting to me. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    2nd A N G L I C O
  • Options
    cntrmasscntrmass Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter,I didnt figure you saw this topic so I had to search for it.What have your experiences been with your 29?Im trying to talk myself into a 10mm but the ammo isnt as readily available as other calibers and things like that.Not really a big deal but clouding my final decision.How is the recoil in this thing because I dont want to shoot ammo that is essentially a long case,exspensive .40s&w.I want to shoot real 10mm loads like the ones to steered me towards at double tap ammo.Tell me any drawbacks of the gun if there are any because its looking like it will cost $550.00+ so as much info as you can give is nice.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The recoil on the Glock is hard to compare to another gun because the polymer flexes some to absorb some of the recoil and it also has a low bore-axis so that keeps muzzle flip down as well.

There are several things that will work in your favor however. First, the 10mm has a HUGE variance in bullet weights and power levels available so you can always start light and work your way up. Second, is that if you intend to use this as a CCW, home defense, and target gun you can swap roles easily. Because the Glock 20 magazine will fit into the Glock 29 (but not the other way around) you can CCW the Glock 29 all day with the standard flush-fitting 10 round magazine, then when you get home you can pop it out and pop the 15 round magazine from a Glock 20. There is a company out there (the name has slipped my mind) that makes a "grip sleeve" that slides down over the Glock 20 magazine and tightens down with a set-screw. What it does is then replicates the grip of the Glock 20.

I don't recall if the model 29 is available ported (compensated) or not. I know the model 20 is. I'm personally not a big fan of it, but if it is the difference between getting a quality caliber and settling then I'd do it if available.

About the only other things I can think of is that if you intend to shoot mostly hot ammo such as DoubleTap through it, then I'd spend the $20 or so and get a stronger recoil spring. If you are split between practice loads and carry loads then it's up to you (I still use stock springs).

The best way to know for sure about this model is to go to a local range that rents either the Glock 29 or 30. If you can rent the 30 and shoot +P's it should give you a good idea of what solid 10mm loads will feel like.

Maybe you can post where you're at and someone maybe would let ya shoot their 10mm's. If you're anywhere near central Oklahoma I'll let ya shoot mine. If no one here is near you, you might try some other forums dedicated to the 10mm's. I also frequent 10mmtalk.com and Glocktalk.com (and go to the "10 ring").

Remember; worst case scenario, you buy one and it's just not fun for target practice, then you can always drop in a sub-caliber barrel for practice then just shoot a magazine or so just to make sure everything is good to go and CCW your powerful setup...

I hope I answered all your questions, if not feel free to ask more, email me if you wish (via the profile).
    P.S. I don't have one of every 10mm ever produced, but I'm working on it! [:D]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.