In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

11 yo and his sweet corn patch!

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
This Summer was educational for my son. I had him rototill part of the garden. Demonstrated on 1 row out of 18 how to plant corn. He did the rest. Taught him how to correctly hoe his corn and water it. He did all of the work himself. Not saying I didn't have to light a fire under him more than a few times. He tryed so hard last week to be cool, like this was no big deal, when we were eatting the first batch of his sweet corn. It is hard to act cool when the buttons are popping off your shirt. I have a dozen ears on the stove now. They are really good! So is my boy!! Yes, Dad is proud of him.

Comments

• Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Good Job!

You should be proud!
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing beats sweet corn!!! I wish I were close enough to ride by and buy a few ears from him!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Honey, if you were close I'd invite you and pass you the sweet corn!
  • Options
    PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    He may grumble now about having to 'work' the garden but in the future he'll really appreciate the experience.

I know I do.
    Helped the parent types turn 1.5 to 2 acres of soil every year for 8 years w/ a pointed shovel and garden rake then plant the crops.
    The parent types got to water, weed and harvest afterwards.
    Actually in the last year they rented a Troy-bult tiller for a day as we got started late to preparing the lot(s.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is one of my very favorite things on EARTH! You sound like you have a very hard worker there.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    now show him how to plant a money tree[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Interesting that you should mention a money tree. I have had several friends ask how I am affording private school for him, this being his first year at a private Christian school. I just tell them I'm putting lots of bunny poop around the bottom of my money tree. I breed rabbits as my favorite hobby after guns and shooting.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Corn is a gateway vegatable. Next he'll want to try tomatoes and peppers!
    [:p]

Very nice that you encourage him. Just like a seed you plant, nourish kids with the right stuff and they will prosper. [:)]
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Corn is a gateway vegatable. Next he'll want to try tomatoes and peppers!
    [:p]

Very nice that you encourage him. Just like a seed you plant, nourish kids with the right stuff and they will prosper. [:)]

Next thing will be taters.
  • Options
    7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's really cool.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid I raised a LOT of sweet corn one year on our farm (but only using a tiller and hand equipment). The plan was for me to sell it when it was ready but somehow it ended up in our kitchen pots and I never got a penny from it (and I did pay for the seed).
    I bring that up periodically to my mom. Now she says it is the most expensive corn she ever ate. She has been paying for it in emotional turmiol! [:I][:D][:D][:D] (she's joking of course)
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.