In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Building below the frost line: Why?

SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Been doing some research on foundations. One of the important things that has to be done is to dig below and pour the foundation footings below the frost line. It seems that this is especially important with pier type foundations.

Okay 3 questions. How do you find out where the frost line is at? How far below the frost line do you dig and pour? And why do you have to do this in the first place?

I'd appreciate input from anybody with any relevant experience. I've been finding out that there is not a ton of information available online in regard to foundations (especially pier foundations).

To whom much is given, much is expected.

Comments

• Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is my understanding that you have to go below the frost line due to the frost thawing and unthawing will cause your foundation to shift and become uneven. Going below the frostline will prevent this. Your frost line varies depending on your area of the country and the severity of your winters. I would guess at least one foot below the frost line for a minimum.

Mad Dog
  • RickstirRickstir Member Posts: 574
    edited November -1
    Your county building department can tell you where the frost line is in your area. The farther north you go the deeper it gets. The reason you do this is to keep freeze/thaw cycles from "heaving" your pier or foundation. Just make sure the top of the "footing" is below frost line and you should be okay. Although the frost line is 36 inches in MO. I have had on two occasions to limit piers to 24 inches and have not had a problem. One of these installations is the pier for a deck that has 3 of the 4 piers in water, and I have not had a problem. My wife calls it the fishing deck, I call it the beer deck [:D]

Like in the NFL, defense is the key.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Travis and Rick have put you on the right track. A reputable contractor or the county soil conservation office in your area would also be able to tell you what the frost depth is. In your area I can't imagine it is very deep. Here in ND it can run 4'-6' depending on location and average temp& snow cover.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    The simplest answer is a question... Ever notice that a farmer harvests stones from his fields in the spring? This is a result of frost action (among other things).

Get a puddle of water below your footer and let it freeze, then expect the wall to heave and crack. Here we're supposed to be 32" below level. We plan footers for 48" as added insurance.

You can "float" a pad on a gravel bed, but it's going to crack and move anywhere there's freezing and the soil is less than perfectly drained.

And now you know.

Nord
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That makes sense. I guess I was thinking of freezing water moving parts of the foundation in the horizontal plane, and completely disregarding the fact that freezing water can just as likely move a footing/pier vertically. Thanks for the info.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you get below the frost line! There is a woodshed addition on the back of my house, that I have to jack up every year and straighten the piers under. Hopefully this summer I'll stop being so cheap and get 3 sonotubes and fix the probelm. I haven't done it yet because I've wanted to tear it down and build a sunroom there. Now that I've decided to move I'm just going to fix it.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This might explain why they still build basements some places & there are none here in So. Kalifornia.
    If you have to dig a foundation down that deep you might as well use it.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    You'all want the foundation where the soil temp is constant, usually about 57F.

The frost line is how deep the ground temp changes due to atmospheric conditions.

Similarly, you might know wekk water stays a constant temp. year around. Same reason.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Here in KY you are looking at a 30 inch frost line level for our harshest winter. same with water pipes, yopu want to have them below freeze line as well.

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Here in Pa the frost line is 36 inches!!! When pouring piers I always hollow out the hole at the bottom a little so that the bottom of the hole is wider than the top! This helps prevent the pier from heaving if the frost gets that deep!
    Up here all water lines and footers are put at least 3 feet deep!

pa.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also your Water Pipe and Sewer Pipe has to be below the Frost line.
    You want the Water Pipe to come through the Block.
    36" Lancaster, PA.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    This might explain why they still build basements some places & there are none here in So. Kalifornia.
    If you have to dig a foundation down that deep you might as well use it.

Sometimes basements aren't done because of the soil around them won't drain properly. They have a saying here in Oklahoma with all our clay dirt "there's two types of basements, ones that leak and ones that WILL leak".
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.