In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Internet for multi computers?

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Well, the cable will be hooked up in a few weeks, BROADBAND!

Question is this, for mulitple computers would you ,

1 Build a server tower and then use networking from it to the other computers

2 Would you buy a router or web ramp?

I would like to have a server that can run a firewall, netnanny, virus scanner and that can download emails to it instead of running multiple instances on different machines. Would a firewall and virus scanner on the server protect the other systems? Will the internet sharing from the server degrade interent performance to the other machines and will several machines online at once bog it down? Will a web ramp or router allow each computer to run smoothy without degrading like the internet sharing? Lots of questions I have here, I'm more anxoius about getting the cable hooked up then I was for my 21st birthday, I can't wait! So many things I want to do and a million ways to do them, like will I be able to host my own pictures since I will have a static IP if I run a dedicated server? How about my own web page, host it on the server? you get the idea!

line2.gif
email2b.gif
hillbilly.gif

Comments

• Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    On both of my jobs, we've got networking with DSL.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    My son and not I is the Computer Scientist. What he did was make a wireless net work in the house. Last time both kids were home they had their lap tops, I had mine and my wife was on the PC and we were all accessing the internet. Head to Best Buy or some similar place and get the wireless net work with he DSL modem is my guess. Someone there will get you lined up. Get free of the cables. I can be in any room in the house with my lap top or out in the yard.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    We just used a simple router to connect our cable to different comps. Firewalls etc are on each computer. Either way would work, this was just more cost effective and it works just fine.
  • kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider a cable modem router with a built in firewall AND a software firewall such as the free ZoneAlarm www.zonealarm.com on every computer on your network.

I use:

Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4 port switch
    Model No. BEFSR41

You hook your cable modem to your router, you computers to your router, and then all computers on your network can talk to each other and use the internet.

If you use a computer as a router, that computer must be functioning whenever you wish to access the internet with another computer. The router doesn't care and you can have any combination of computers on/off while using the internet.

The advantage of a router with a built in firewall is that incoming attacks are blocked by the router. If you used only a software firewall, you computer may have to use CPU cycles to process attacks, and if you are hit hard enough, it is possible to crash your computer. If something slips through, you defenses are compromised. If something crashes your router, you are temporarily off the 'net but you can still use your computer. If something slips past the router, you have your software firewall as back up.

The reason I saw use both router and software firewall is that your router won't defend you against outgoing problems. For example, if you download a spyware program, trojan horse or worm, your router will probably let these bugs send info about you out onto the internet. ZoneAlarm and other software firewalls will catch this outgoing traffic and ask you if you want to allow it.

If you have a router with a built in firewall, you can log all internet traffic to a text file. ANY traffic incoming or outgoing can be captured. NetNanny alone can be bypassed by a reasonably skilled computer user, and kids learn that stuff from their friends. There is no escaping the router logs, especially if you put them on a location that only you have access privileges to. You can also use the router to block traffic from specific computers onto the net, close specific ports (ie block them from using Napster-ish file sharing programs, etc.)

I suggenst the Linksys hardware because they are reliable, cheap, compatible with almost anything, easy to setup, etc. The newest firmware for my router lets you force all computers on your network to actually be running ZoneAlarm and PC-Cillin anti-virus software in order to connect to the internet. (This is an optional setting and I'm not using it but it's a great way force unskilled or irresponsible users to be secure)

My router was about $50.

Wireless is great, but if you don't need that type of portability it is more expense for no reason. The wireless network cards cost more than regular ones, and wireless networks often expand the networks range outside of your home. A new breed of hacker is out there driving around with a laptop and wireless modem looking for wireless networks to penetrate. If you don't have good network security, a wireless hacker could use your internet connection, browse your files, etc while parked outside your house.

No matter what kind of router you get, change the IP address to something other than the default values. Likewise, change the user name and password to something else too. Use a LONG complicated password, with lower and upper case letters, numbers, etc.

Example: A-s3cur3-P@ssw0rd!

Hackers know the factory default settings used by most major router manufactures, and failing to change your settings is like leaving your house unlocked.

A final note, if you can't get a program to use the internet properly with your computer, you can temporirly set it up as a DMZ. It will be as if that computer is directly attached to the internet without any security, which is on rare occassions necessary for certain types of software.

Also, don't let your ISP charge you more or prevent you from using a router and sharing your connecting. They can't know what you are doing unless you tell them, as the router handles the assigning of internal IP address and routing traffic. Some ISP's want to charge you an extra $5-$10/mo for sharing your connection, and that's just a way to grab money from people who don't know better.

Good luck. It's really quite easy.

shooter_ruler.gif
    http://ynot4free.com
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll second Kali...
    Also, at this point in time I think wireless is too expensive for too little. Unless you can't network any other way or move a lot, there's much more secure, fast, and cheaper options available. A firewall router will get you fixed up.
    Also, it'll greatly reduce the need for the B.I. software you mentioned (which I don't have/don't need).

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.