In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Camera phones and credit cards WATCH OUT

Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I found this on another site. I don't know if it true but I can see it happing happening.

A case where the bad guy was using a camera phone to take pictures of peoples credit cards in the check out line, and then using the info later to make bogus purchases...

Something you might want to be on the lookout for when you in line at the store.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As low res as a camera phone must be, the guy would have to be pretty obvious about it to get close enough to read the number, I would think. But this is one of those "warnings" that makes the full Internet rounds, independent of its merits. If somebody sticks a camera phone in front of me in line, I'll be glad to take it... [;)]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I have never seen what kind of picture you can get from one of them before. I would think it would have to be pretty close to get it. But if the person was reaching past you I could it happen.

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably UL now, but a reasonable warning for the future as the technology improves.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    VISA-cards in Denmark are supposed to be used either in:

Any electronic terminal with your PIN#.

A "Fly-Swatter", those machines that makes an imprint of the card to a note that is signed/filled out. Picture on the back for ID.

For internet deals, there is a control-number on the backside, they'd need to photograph both sides of the card to use it at all.

Just having a picture of the front side of the card won't do.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Unless they have a friend that works for a store and just types in the numbers. I have had them need to do this with my cards when they get old and the magnetic strip is no good. The forum I found this on one of the guys took a picture of his drivers license and said it was good enough to read.

• bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:...one of the guys took a picture of his drivers license and said it was good enough to read.

It must have been one of those DL for older folks, y'know, the ones with the bigger print!

<Don't mind me, Smokeeater, I'm just being slap-happy at this time of night! Just kidding ya, that's all.>

Big Al