In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got 81 cans of this stuff

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in General Discussion
What is it worth a can. My friend that died owned it. When he passed last year, his wife gave this and all his reloading equiptment to me.[img][/img]img20121031133612.jpg

[img][/img]img20121031133715.jpg

[img][/img]img20121031133635.jpg

Comments

• Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Are the cans full?
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it 06 or 30 carbine?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    Are the cans full?

Yup. All unopened. He owned a gun store.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    Is it 06 or 30 carbine?

• Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy you a nice garand and enjoy it!I wouldnt sell a can of it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hdcolt51

I was thinking of buying a garand with the procedes of some of the ammo. That is why I was wondering how much for a can.
  • Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll tell you what you have right there. You have a giveaway!

Seriously, I'd keep it and buy a Garand or two and enjoy.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    quote:Originally posted by hdcolt51

I was thinking of buying a garand with the procedes of some of the ammo. That is why I was wondering how much for a can.

SMART MAN!!!!!!!!!![;)][;)][;)]
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Any of it black tip? IF so they are worth a lot more than standard GI 30 cal. The garand clips alone sell for $1 each at gun shows!

Jump on one of MTCs auctions for a M1 Garrand and enjoy teh heck out of the stuff. You cannot go wrong on any M1 Mark sells.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jjmitchell60
    Any of it black tip? IF so they are worth a lot more than standard GI 30 cal. The garand clips alone sell for $1 each at gun shows!

Jump on one of MTCs auctions for a M1 Garrand and enjoy teh heck out of the stuff. You cannot go wrong on any M1 Mark sells.

Mark is the man. I can never shoot all the ammo I have. It would take a lifetime but Iam getting a garand and will be shooting it up.[:D]
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to sell 1 box i am interested i have to 3006 they are not garands though just hunting rifles
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You've got a goldmine there! 81 cans? WOW![:0][:p]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About $250 per can or $20,000.00 ( twenty thousand ) for all 81 cans of it.
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    Get those auctions up. A can or two laying around might push me into a Garand a little faster.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I see 384 rd cans of Lake City M2 Ball on clips listed for $295 here on GB. Even Greek M2 Ball packed loose from the CMP is selling at fifty cents per round. If you have 81 full cans, even at fifty cents per round, you have quite a pay day coming your way! Don't forget that the clips are also worth money. They used to be throw aways...Not any longer!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    I see 384 rd cans of Lake City M2 Ball on clips listed for $295 here on GB. Even Greek M2 Ball packed loose from the CMP is selling at fifty cents per round. If you have 81 full cans, even at fifty cents per round, you have quite a pay day coming your way! Don't forget that the clips are also worth money. They used to be throw aways...Not any longer!

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]Thats what Iam talking about.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Iam thinking I could sell four cans then and Buy a pretty good garand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    If you want to sell 1 box i am interested i have to 3006 they are not garands though just hunting rifles

Dave, I go to NC alot. Next time through, I will call you and bring you a can.I will be going to florida three times next year and drive right through NC. We could hook up. Oak
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $ 0.50 per round is a good price and should sell reasonably quickly. If I were you, I'd sell 10 cans ($1,920.00), get the best shooter Garand that you could possible want and pocket the change.

The value of the ammo will not go down absent some really stupid legislation, and likely will continue to be a good investment to hold.

OTOH, after selling 10 cans, you still have 27,264 rounds worth approximately $ 13,600.00, and you should do whatever it is you feel comfortable doing.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Iam thinking I could sell four cans then and Buy a pretty good garand.

Or sell 10, and buy an M1A or M14.... and sell the clips.

Might be worth it, just with the funfactor of 20 shots rather than 8.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Dave, I go to NC alot. Next time through, I will call you and bring you a can.I will be going to florida three times next year and drive right through NC. We could hook up. Oak

You should really list a can with a BUY NOW for him if you are going to sell him some ammo. Violation of the forums to offer anything for sale here![;)] All sales must go thru the auction side, just saying.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161

You should really list a can with a BUY NOW for him if you are going to sell him some ammo. Violation of the forums to offer anything for sale here![;)] All sales must go thru the auction side, just saying.

Not selling him a can, Iam giving dave a can.
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would definitely keep it. If you must sell some to fund a purchase, sell only enough to get you a nice service grade M1. I'd even go as far to say sell enough to make a trip to Anniston and pick out your own rifle!
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    Very nice of you to give Dave a can, Oakie. I think that that should brighten up his day, that's for sure. [:)]

Not to hijack this thread but, has anybody ever had the wonderful experience of having the bolt slam down on your thumb? Oh my, I got to tell you, it hurts. [:D]

I thought I was going to lose the tip of my thumb.

I still have a hearty respect for the Garand, after what it did to my thumb. [:(][:p]

I can laugh now...
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oso2142
    Very nice of you to give Dave a can, Oakie. I think that that should brighten up his day, that's for sure. [:)]

Not to hijack this thread but, has anybody ever had the wonderful experience of having the bolt slam down on your thumb? Oh my, I got to tell you, it hurts. [:D]

I still have a hearty respect for the Garand, after what it did to my thumb. [:(][:p]

I can laugh now...

No danger...Once you understand how the rifle works:
    [IMG][/img]M1Thumb4.jpg
  • Options
    AJ100AJ100 Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie, RUN out and buy a lotto ticket. Sorry, I forgot, some on here think buying lotto tickets is stupid and a waste of their $2.00 but after reading 81 CANS you might as well take a chance.

WHAT A SCORE!!!!

You want to know EXACTLY what you can get for a can of LC M2 ammo in clips? Go to the CMP site and ask. I had 18 cans before I decided to sell my Service Grade and they lasted 35 minutes at the .50 per round price. And that was HXP Greek. This is LC. Holy Crap.

.54 per round since it is in clips. $207.36 per can. And that is if you sell it at close to the CMP price. You go for the gunshow price and God knows how much you can get.

At the lower price it comes out to about 3 cans equals 1 Service Grade. HOLY CRAP!

AJ100(Tom Vogt)
  • Options
    AJ100AJ100 Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Is that a 1953 date code ?

If so, most likely corrosive since I think they changed to non-corrosive primers in '54.

Twin Cities Arsenal (TW) went non-corrosive starting with lot #19362 in Dec 1950 for ball, and lot #19776 Feb 1952 for AP.

WCC is Western (Winchester) and absolutely non-corrosive.

And finally LC, Lake City. LC 52 is the first year of totally safe LC

According to the Garand guys, Lot Number: 13700 Date: June 1951 was the first non-corrosive to come out of LC.

I had the chart from the CMP website but can't find it just now.

IF some of that 81 cans happens to be corrosive take some of the ammo sale money and buy yourself a bottle of Windex. That's all you need at the range to spray down the gas cylinder until you get home to properly clean your new to you M1.

AJ100(Tom Vogt)
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oso2142

I can laugh now...

Not a Garand, but my wife managed to trip the bolt release while loading her SKS. It sure was hard getting it loose, what with her dancing around with it hanging off her thumb (and me trying not to fall down laughing).
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got several full cans with 1948 lot numbers from my FIL after he died. They shoot just fine in my Garand, but make sure to clean it well afterwards.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for the double post...[V]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    Man i wish i would have bought a bunch of that when it was cheaper. I have a garand i got from my Dad when he passed. Its getting harder to find cheap ammo to feed them. and commercial ammo for the garand is spendy.

+ 1 on the selling a couple cans and buying a garand. Wouldnt sell any more after that. You might not be able to shoot it all but kids, grand kids, great grands kids ( Adopted Gunbroker kids[;)][;)])) will
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is it worth a can. My friend that died owned it. When he passed last year, his wife gave this and all his reloading equiptment to me.[img][/img]img20121031133612.jpg

[img][/img]img20121031133715.jpg

[img][/img]img20121031133635.jpg

It's unsafe to shoot! Send it to me for proper disposal![:D]

Sorry at the passing of your friend, but that is truly a nice gift...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161

Not selling him a can, Iam giving dave a can.

I apologize, that is very kind of you![:)]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think these folks who are telling you to shoot it all realize that's 31,104 rounds.

CMP is out of it and doubt they will ever see any more. It won't be getting much cheaper.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cmp does 192 rounds on clips for $110 delivered.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I don't think these folks who are telling you to shoot it all realize that's 31,104 rounds.

CMP is out of it and doubt they will ever see any more. It won't be getting much cheaper.

James, you surprise me.

I bought 20K+ rounds from the CMP when they were selling LC and Greek for between $ 0.25 and $ 0.30 per round.

Use it in the Garands, the Johnsons, the 1895s, the 1903s, the 1917s, the 1918A3 and the 1919A4.

I am down to probably around 15K rounds at this point, and wouldn't consider selling any of it.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    James, you surprise me. ...
    ... I am down to probably around 15K rounds at this point, and wouldn't consider selling any of it.
    I probably wouldn't sell it either, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't be the logical thing to do. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone is lying to you Oakie.

Stuff is worthless (and dangerous.)

Just send it to me and I'll dispose of it safely.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd sell 3 of them and buy a nice shooter...you sell 4 of them and you might buy a rifle that you want too shoot!! [:D]

Then I'd drop a can off to me in VA on your way to Daves in NC...the only thing better than giving a gift to one GB'er is giving a gift to two GB'ers...[;)][:D]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a note to H N, this is 30/06. I'd bet the world you can't DRIVE one of these rounds into an M1A.