In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bought a Wood Stove on Thursday

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
jotuloslowoodburningstove_full_zps19871a51.jpeg

A Jotul Oslo 500. Made in Norway. I paid $2,500 bucks.
This is a stock photo, not my stove, mine is still in the shipping crate in the basement.

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I love that stove.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like it's made out of metal to me. [;)]
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I bought my home in '82 it had a nice Fisher wood burner in front of and exhaust ducted into the traditional fireplace. It did a good job but one problem is heat distribution. Another is burn rate even though you should have inlet air adjustment and an exhaust damper. Unless you live in a one room cabin you need fans to help. Aside from that you will love it. A little messy with the ash removal and unless you have your own trees, purchasing wood take careful pricing.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I live on 39 heavily forested acres in the North Carolina Mountains.
    I have a Husqvarna chain saw, and 2 Stihl chain saws. I have a pickup truck. Firewood is not only free, I only have to haul it about 300 feet to the house. Ninety percent of the house heat will come from this bad-* Norwegian stove. I won't be using much propane.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The bad news is, install cost is $3,800.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,053 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice stove
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, it is saving me a grand a year on propane heat costs. So in seven years I break even. Which is not even to mention how much I love to watch the wood stove burn.
  • Options
    bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    The bad news is, install cost is $3,800.

Allen, I love your new stove.

But, you just built your own cabin addition by hand. Why would you pay someone $3,800 to install this stove?

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,053 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, it is saving me a grand a year on propane heat costs. So in seven years I break even. Which is not even to mention how much I love to watch the wood stove burn.
    A very solid ROI. I too enjoy watching a fire
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all cast iron or does it have soapstone inserts?

Buddy of mine has a very similar stove with huge soapstone heat sinks just in front of a stacked stone wall that absorbs and re-radiates the heat all night. Same stone wall faces due south and picks up some good solar heat as well.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
    that's nice Allen,,[^][^][8D][8D]
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    We've had that model for a couple of years now and it's
    a good stove but I would never buy another.
    It's a quality stove but for less than $2200 I can buy a wood stove
    that throws the same amount of heat.
    The ash draw fills up in a week and one is not
    supposed to open it while the stove is lit,supposedly
    it'll damage those tubes in there.I keep it burning
    24/7. The window gets dirty quickly...burn time isn't
    8 useful hours more like 4 or 5.
    Every time you throw a log into the side door ashes pile
    up at the far end which have to be shoveled out.
    I had an old barrel kit stove with a cast door and frame
    that put out twice the heat,of course you had to feed
    it couple of hours.Wish I kept it.
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For anyone thinking of installing a wood stove that will be used as a primary source of heat, check these out. I've had one for the last 15 years and they really save on wood while keeping our house toasty here in northern Az.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/6-magic-heat-wood-stove-heat-reclaimer-mh-6r-3601.html
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice woodstove, and will last forever. I have a Vermont Castings Intrepid in my family room that actually lends a lot of heat to the whole house. It is small and really more like a parlor stove but the last power outage of several days during an ice storm, it was enough to keep the house comfortable.
    My son has a Dutchwest that looks very similar to yours, heats his whole house easily.
    I use to heat exclusively with wood, 2500 Sq. Ft. Got to be too much work when I passed 60, but I love it. The real key is the right wood that is seasoned. I'm sure you know that where you live. Even down here in the Piedmont, at least in the less Yankee areas, we country boys know how to build a fire and bank it at night. [:D]
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That ought to keep your cabin nice and toasty.
    Here's a picture of what we'd like to do when we build a house in a few years. Might be kinda spendy but it'll give us heat and a place to cook should the power go out.
    images_zps6901rx7n.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't look at it as an expense, it's an investment not only in your home but in your health. Cutting, splitting, stacking for 45 minutes 3-4 times a week is an investment in your life.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why don't I install the stove myself? Good question.
    I have previously installed 3 wood stoves, and all installs went well. I was certainly planning to install this stove.

IMG_0902_zpsq5bxntqd.jpg
    On the right side of this pic is where the pipe will come through the roof. It is 15 feet to get up to the edge of the roof.
    There is 21 feet of green metal from the edge to the peak.
    You have to go up 10 feet to cut the hole for the pipe. Then you have to go right up to the peak, to install the 1 inch steel tubes that bolt the pipe to the roof, so the pipe won't blow over in the wind.

I have looked at it, and looked at it, and I am scared of that roof. Better to let a 28-something monkey boy scamper around up there, than me.

Of the $3,800 install costs, $2K is pipe and fittings, $1,600 is labor, and $200 is taxes.

The stove is entirely cast iron no soapstone.

rong if your glass is continually getting dirty, it is because:
    1. Your pipe may be to short
    2. These high performance stoves don't like 90 degree bends. Are there any 90 degree bends in the pipe?
    3. Your wood may not be dry enough. Hard core guys season their wood for 3 years. They buy a moisture meter at Lowes for 25 bucks, and use wood that is less than 17 percent moisture.

I am right now building a solar powered firewood drying kiln, aka a woodshed, and I am going to produce some very dry firewood.

I do know what you mean about a 55 gallon drum stove, I used to have one down in Georgia. I loved that stove! Dry wood, green wood, it didn't care. Thirty three inch long firebox and an 11 x 11 inch door, you could load an awful lot of wood in that thing. What a stove!

Sadly, the fiancee hates the drum stove and has threatened to leave me if I got one. I swear I would get a drum stove if she didn't object.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure miss mine.. we lived in cold climate and it heated our whole home. Looks like a fine unit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I cover my wood with a solar pool blanket or a black tarp leaving the air to flow underneath. It gets so hot under there I'm afraid sometimes it will ignite...[:D]. Sounds like you have it figured out. Have fun and keep up the pictures.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GuvamintCheese
    Don't look at it as an expense, it's an investment not only in your home but in your health. Cutting, splitting, stacking for 45 minutes 3-4 times a week is an investment in your life.
    Get you a job working at a saw mill and live to 110.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have previously installed 3 wood stoves, and all installs went well. I was certainly planning to install this stove.

IMG_0902_zpsq5bxntqd.jpg
    On the right side of this pic is where the pipe will come through the roof. It is 15 feet to get up to the edge of the roof.
    You have to go up 10 feet to cut the hole for the pipe. Then you have to go right up to the peak, to install the 1 inch steel tubes that bolt the pipe to the roof, so the pipe won't blow over in the wind.

I have looked at it, and looked at it, and I am scared of that roof. Better to let a 28-something monkey boy scamper around up there, than me.

Of the $3,800 install costs, $2K is pipe and fittings, $1,600 is labor, and $200 is taxes.

2. These high performance stoves don't like 90 degree bends. Are there any 90 degree bends in the pipe?
    3. Your wood may not be dry enough. Hard core guys season their wood for 3 years. They buy a moisture meter at Lowes for 25 bucks, and use wood that is less than 17 percent moisture.

I am right now building a solar powered firewood drying kiln, aka a woodshed, and I am going to produce some very dry firewood.

I do know what you mean about a 55 gallon drum stove, I used to have one down in Georgia. I loved that stove! Dry wood, green wood, it didn't care. Thirty three inch long firebox and an 11 x 11 inch door, you could load an awful lot of wood in that thing. What a stove!

Sadly, the fiancee hates the drum stove and has threatened to leave me if I got one. I swear I would get a drum stove if she didn't object.

I think you're pretty smart getting the '28 year old monkey boy' to do it! That is a rather intimidating looking roof.
    As drafty as that cabin looks, though, you might need a bigger stove![;)]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    My Uncle made drum stoves out of stainless steel drums he bought on the job at the Hercules plant in Gibbstown NJ.Talk about a thing of beauty!! The man could fabricate anything you could dream up and make a rough sketch of.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    That ought to keep your cabin nice and toasty.
    Here's a picture of what we'd like to do when we build a house in a few years. Might be kinda spendy but it'll give us heat and a place to cook should the power go out.
    images_zps6901rx7n.jpg
    I looked into this when I was building and it still didn't eliminate bringing wood into the house. I did find one that would load from the outside but our house had no wall for it. Finally went with an outdoor wood boiler.

Hey Allen, will you be putting the stove on the bottom floor?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like that. What a nice place you have there, Allen!
    What's next?
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

IMG_0902_zpsq5bxntqd.jpg

I think you're pretty smart getting the '28 year old monkey boy' to do it! That is a rather intimidating looking roof.
    As drafty as that cabin looks, though, you might need a bigger stove![;)]

I agree sometimes it is just smarter to pay someone else to do a thing. Excellent set up!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have a very short stovepipe.
    less than 18" to the elbow and probably the
    same to the chimney but it was installed to an existing
    hearth/chimney.
    We have a small log cabin(1400 sq ft). 2 BR up stairs.
    the room down stairs are all "cut up" but it keeps
    the house warm.
    My 2nd home was a cape with a barrel stove down
    cellar ,I use to make that baby glow and it kept the
    house toasty. Of course in those days,I always kept
    Frosty mugs in the fridge /freezer down cellar and sucked 'em
    down and stuff the wood in as fast as I could.
    Tipsy and warm...No other way to be.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen, my install was ~ $6k .. $2200 for the stove
    and mid 3's for a stainless steel liner because
    a couple chimney flues were cracked and the company
    I hired to install a cap and clean the chimney wouldn't
    touch the chimney because of the cracked flues.
    They had some rig that rotated chains and busted all the flues out
    to install a 6" liner.Noisy as hell and I expected the
    brick to explode but it didn't.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The stove is not going in the basement, it is going on the main floor. This cabin is one big room, with an 11 x 20 foot loft.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You'll do well then,wood stoves like
    open rooms unhindered by walls.
    My Jotul is on the main floor, works well
    not super.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks real nice Allen. Love the addition.

I'd still like to add a wood burning stove to my place.