In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Going out on a limb ...A Gun Question

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
I have been hanging out here for almost 14 years. Every once in a while, there is a thread where someone talks about selling a gun(s) and there are always answers along the lines of "I would NEVER sell a gun"

As I retired a few months back and working on moving to another State etc, I have considered selling off a few firearms I hardly every shoot. To me they are small stacks of cash that can be used to obtain other items.

So the question is: "Why would you Never sell a gun ??" Not trying to be a smartbutt, I just am trying to understand the mindset.

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Family heirloom for some. I have a couple of guns I would never sell--Grandpa's Colt, my Large Loop Winchester 94 for example.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have guns that I would never sell. I also have stuff that I have acquired that I would have no problem selling off. Also, I always try to get another gun or something I really want. Using the money to help with the move is no different than getting something you really want.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That I understand completely....I have guns that belonged to my Dad, my Grandpas and even a couple from my Great Grandpa. Those stay in the family....
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Family history. My Dad handed down to me his 1911 Colt (as well as a couple other firearms).
    Someday it will go to my son.
    Hopefully not for a long time though. [8D]
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually I start "Jonesing" for the gun again and end up paying more for the same make/model that often is as nice as the one I had.
    That is why I prefer not to sell any guns, unless I just don't like one, but even then [:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    I have three firearms I would not sell... my battle rifle, my go-to full-size sidearm and a conceal carry handgun. Everything else is negotiable.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    There are a few I would never sell, my grandfathers Marlin, the Speed Six my dad gave me and my first rifle (Winchester 67A) come to mind. Now I will never sell a gun for anything other then another gun, but that is another story
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    I have guns that I would never sell. I also have stuff that I have acquired that I would have no problem selling off. Also, I always try to get another gun or something I really want. Using the money to help with the move is no different than getting something you really want.

Pretty much. I sold a shotgun that I bought from Kasey. I'm terrible with a shotgun but I think it is a good idea to have at least one. I sold the shotgun because my uncle moved back to California and stores his (it belonged to my great grandpa) in my safe. It is a lot nicer than the one I had. I figured that I don't need two guns that I'm not good with.

All of my other guns are either heirlooms or utilitarian.
  • Options
    Old.22BoltsOld.22Bolts Member Posts: 6,032
    edited November -1
    And remember, if you're selling any .22s be sure
    and post the link here in GD.......[;)]
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would sell any gun if I felt the need to. They are pieces of metal. I have some old pieces willed to me by my Grandfather, a deer rifle from 1957, a shotgun from 1931, and a .22 from 1934. I would look hard before I parted with them...but there are too many fine guns out there to hold on to one I won't use, or don't consider useful.

What's the big deal? To some they are heirlooms, and sentimental. I TOTALLY get that. But they are not to me.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I'll never sell my dad's .22

No one would pay me near what it's worth.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat
    I would sell any gun if I felt the need to. They are pieces of metal. I have some old pieces willed to me by my Grandfather, a deer rifle from 1957, a shotgun from 1931, and a .22 from 1934. I would look hard before I parted with them...but there are too many fine guns out there to hold on to one I won't use, or don't consider useful.

What's the big deal? To some they are heirlooms, and sentimental. I TOTALLY get that. But they are not to me.

I totally agree with you. If you want to know what happens to your stuff after you are gone, just start going to public auctions.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had a problem selling guns...you can always by something new.I have some I can't replace, so they are not for sale...
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother bought me a Squires Bingham .22 back in the 70's. It was pretty much my first gun, I would not sell it because it was my first. That and the fact that it was a present. The other is a stainless steel Dan Wesson 357 magnum. That will never go as that it what I consider to be my wedding ring. Not into jewelry at all so instead of a wedding ring she bought me a wedding gun. Now if there were to be a divorce naw after 33 years I doubt that would happen.[;)][:D]
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple that I will never sell, some belonged to my Dad, There are 4 of us brothers and each were given a sweet 16 on his 16th birthday I still have mine, I have a cheap Davis derringer in 25 acp that belonged to a close friend that passed and his widow gave it to me as a keep sake, there are a few more but the rest come and go. I geton a kick and buy/build things. At one time years ago I owned 40 1911's that I had purchased or built , now I am down to 2. got on a SXS shotgun kick and ended up with about 50, , almost all of them are gone now, actually sold most to the Cracker Barrel resturant chain to go over the fireplace, everyonce and awhile I go into one to eat and recognize one, my last kick was buildingAR-15 style rifles but sold the majority of them while the crazy was going on and made a freaking mint. Very feww to hold an atachment too, the rest are just money in the account
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple that I picked up cheaply that I might one day part with, but I've never sold one yet. Most of my guns I would not sell.

The one I'd soonest part with is a Ruger KP95DC that I picked up quite a while ago for about $200. It's my only 9mm, but once I get a Beretta 92 it'll probably go away. It shoots fine, but is a little picky on ammo unless it's extremely clean.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With 80 exceptions, everything I have would be for sale at the right price.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few I would not sell unless no other option ( life or death of a family member )
    I have over the years bought and sold a "few" [;)] as I would switch out hobbies , and not having a endless supply of cash to keep every thing . I would sell off one stock pile of hobby items to fund another . Do I wish I had kept all the cars and parts and guns, Well hell yes , but sometimes its the bottom line that decides it for me . I still carry one to a gun show with me sometimes , just in case I get a good offer or tradin material . it is usually one I have more of or just do not use.
    I have two sons I am sure they will pick out one or two and sell the rest when I die .
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now, I have one rifle I'd consider selling. The rest stay put, regardless of what someone might offer, or what negative financial situation I might get in. Sentimentality, nostalgia, and the heirloom factor have everything to do with it, too.[^]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    My Dad's old .22 Marlin, which will go to my nephew, is the only gun I won't sell. Since it might be worth $75 this is not much of an issue. Otherwise there is nothing here that cannot be purchased; including the chair that I am sitting in right now.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reason is I live in California. And the difficulties I went through to get most of the handguns (many a times of Top Ramen week [:D]). I'll be damned I'd sell it anything less than life prolonging medical cures. Notice I said "cures". Besides I bought right from the get go instead of buying to unload later for something else.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only have a few I would not sell: A couple that belonged to Dad and one because it was my first gun which Dad gave me.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Almost everything is for sale, always.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've traded a few guns over the years. The two I sold I deeply regret. Maybe it's because the money went else where.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad never had any guns, although I did inherit an old Burnside from my grandpa. My bother has zero interest in guns, we don't have any kids to leave them to, my nephews have no interest them either, so for me, they are investments, so when I retire, I can sell as needed, or give as gifts, so as to have a better retirement!

I always tell my wife that I don't buy guns, I invest in them, like depositing money in the bank!

Probably the very last gun that I would sell would be my Python, always been my favorite!
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are the ones that are special to me, and then there are the ones that I bought because I wanted one, or I got a great deal or ???

Have never sold or traded any away, mostly I guess because I never needed to.

And I have 'invested' in ammo for each. Now my son figures he just has to outlive me, and not piss me off, and he has a pretty nice collection.

Smart kid. [;)]
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    The "never sale a gun" crowd must still be asleep. [:D] I'd sell most of mine, though I'm hoping a few of them become heirlooms someday. There are a few with family history that will obviously never be sold.

I sold a bunch here shortly after getting married to help me pay the rent (thanks GunBroker!).
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81
    So the question is: "Why would you Never sell a gun ??" Not trying to be a smartbutt, I just am trying to understand the mindset.

This is the rule told to me in MA, by the gun crowd, and the rationale is EXTREMELY simple.

Getting (any) guns in MA is difficult, and the State has implemented ever-increasing bans on importation of new models.

Plenty of common guns (eg 1911s, all Glocks, etc) simply cannot be legally imported into MA anymore, and not only are they scarce, but prices of legal in-state existing ones are through the roof.

The "never sell a gun" rule is because once sold you quite literally may never be able to legally get a similar one again, and there is also a fear that ALL guns will be banned, so you'll never be able to get ANY gun again. Don't think that last thing is going to happen, but to be honest, don't think the FEAR that it might is irrational.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns are not more important than say family. If it meant putting food on the table to ensure the family lived another day stuff would get sold, regardless of what it is.

Most stuff I have would garner the 3-$700 range so even if I did sell its not like its going to chang the game. Unless I sold the whole batch which would keep me a float for sometime, but even then selling a collection doesnt happen over night.

But reasons for a few items that I would not sell..

1. Heirloom or handed down to me
    2. My first gun i bought at 16 winchesters 12 gauage pump
    3. I live in NY so AW would not get sold as I could never get that them back

But like I said life in general is survival. And if it meant selling something to survive I would do it.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess I will play the devils advocate. I had a rifle of my Grandfathers and a model 42 of my fathers. I had no interest in either and sold them for something I was interested in. Neither held an emotional attacthment for me. I do still have the .22 my father bought for me as a first rifle. I am attached to that and it still shoots better than I.

Other guns I would sell, if I had any.

How much do you want for the chair Mark?[:D]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Everything has its price, and every price is contingent on need.

As things sit, I would never sell my grandpa's guns, even though they are in terms of absolute value fairly 'meh.' Not enough money to buy them from me as things sit, as I'm not rich but am not hurting.

If I or my family absolutely needed money fast for an emergency- medical, whatever, and it was for people, not to acquire more stuff, while they might be the last to go they'd go in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All my guns are for sale except one family heirloom. They are for the most part, investments. Yes, I would love to hold on to them but everything has its price. I will sell off a lot of them before I move to Georgia. first off, I have too many and second, I don't want to transport that many. I also like to golf and want to play more when I retire, more then I want to shoot my guns.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dime a dozen handguns and common rifles (Glocks & AR's) can be sold at anytime.