In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What's a "barbeque gun"?

nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in General Discussion
http://www.GunBroker.com/item/600549893

Is it the gun you use to shoot the pig? Do you use it to stir the BBQ sauce? Or, is that a regional term for a blued revolver that's nickel plated over pitting?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Neal

Comments

• JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A "fancied up" handgun worn to get togethers, BBQ's, or where ever you wish to be well dressed and well heeled.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a fancy high dollar handgun worn as an accessory to a fancy outdoor party- a BBQ. Believe it started in Texas. Engraved, nickeled, pearl or ivory stocks, open carried in high $$$ tooled leather holster.

Conspicuous consumption.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think pimp gun...

Think Mexican cartel bejeweled gun...

Think sadaam hussein gold plated AK with inset rubies...

Think ostentatious display of wealth almost to the point of degradation of operational function.

Start there and continue.

Mike
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BBQ Gun
    An old term from the Southwest that refers to a gun that is not worn daily. It won't have the scratches, wear marks, etc a daily wear gun would have. These guns were not something that were never used or "useless." In the time the term came about they were functional guns (sometimes, heavily modified for better accuracy/reliability/etc) that might have some custom engraving, polishing, or custom grips. They didn't make many guns purely for show - they made guns to use and users modified them for show. They were normally worn in tooled leather holsters as opposed to daily wear holsters - which were plain.

In the revolver days (before semi-auto pistols) a church gun was a normal firearm as described above. After the semi-auto pistols arrived on scene this term applied to mostly Colt 1911's. Current times this can apply to any firearm that has custom work designed to enhance mainly appearance and, much of the time - functionality.

However, this should not be confused with a (today's term) "bling gun" - which can imply that the gun is more for show than effectiveness. Or that the user is not proficient in its use because it is only worn on special occasions.

In the Southwest BBQ's could be at a casual get together, a special event, wedding, or a different/very formal affair.

Also known as a "Church gun," a "Court Gun," or "the 4th of July gun" (in Wyoming) for obvious reasons.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sunday go to meeting
  • themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Kimber Sapphire with a White Shark OWB Basket Weave
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Think pimp gun...

Think Mexican cartel bejeweled gun...

Think sadaam hussein gold plated AK with inset rubies...

Think ostentatious display of wealth almost to the point of degradation of operational function.

Start there and continue.

Mike"

I suspect John Wayne(and a whole bunch of late 1800's Texas ranchers)would have taken offense to those comparisons.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,269 ******
    edited November -1
    Barbeque guns are needed to keep those slippery fingered back yard chefs in line. Especially when they drop your steak or burger on the ground and simply put it back on the fire with your name on it![:D]

Fancy rigs shown above! You all should see my caulk gun!
  • cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Class C engraved Colt 1911 with ivory grips in a floral carved El Paso Saddlery holster is what I think of. See Lone Wolf Gonzaulas guns in Texas Ranger Museum In Waco. He was the "real deal".
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BBQ Gun: see Skeeter Skelton's Dobe Grant tales.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to draw a distinction between Cowboys and Leo's in Texas and the rest of North America - ok...

But pimp guns and mobster guns and cartel guns and tacti-cool posers with more money than brains guns should not be dismissed from discussion.

There is a fine line between fancy decoration and degradation defacement in my mind.

Mike
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Just think, "Texas...".
    Ever'thang is bigger in Texas.
    Was at a shooter's retreat BBQ outside of Kerrville last year, great food, pretty wimmins, good bunch folks.
    Then it started.
    This one ol' boy thought that the holster another ol'boy had was a copy of the "Original" he had paid BIG Bucks to have made. They were both heavily tooled & concho'ed, had a barrel strap & thumb loop. And identical.
    Turned out the maker was the host, who had also worn his version of the same rig.
    I look forward to seeing how that turned out next year.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You really didn't know what a bbq pistol was...[:0]....[:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgemonkey: Your taste is impeccable.
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having been in LE in Texas over 20 years, I have seen many BBQ guns. It is a for sure sight to see when they bring their Sunday best out.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

This gets used every week at the range,,,,,,,,,Damascus with elephant ivory grips,,,[;)]

IMG_0802.jpg

Very nice. Serial on mine is my name, was a gift from some fine folks!!!
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A barbecue gun can come in many forms, one of them is not glock.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I am to wear a pistol to a fine event I put on the grips Ole magics made for me...otherwise I use my stock plastics.
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    20150323_125027_zpscdhncyxk.jpg

That is a class act! [^][^][^][^][^]
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think DOC has the largest BBQ gun collection here.