In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SKS vs AK

reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I went shooting with a friend yesterday and he had his sks with him and I shot it. I have been thinking of getting an ak but after shooting his sks I am thinking of getting it instead. He had the folding stock on his and it almost looked like an ak. My question is: What is the difference between the 2 guns? I know the sks is cheaper and if it is about the same as an ak maybe I willgo that route.

Roy.gifGuncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.

Comments

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    you can buy about three good, used military surplus SKS's for the price of one AK at www.aimsurplus.com. I have a few at $89.00 each from them (free shipping) and they are great. They don't look as cool as an AK but you can't beat the price plus they shoot the very same ammo. The SKS comes with a 10 round fixed magazine but on the last shot the bolt stays open (unlike an AK) and the bolt has a stripper clip guide built into the bolt. you can use stripper clips to reload the 10 rounds in only slightly more seconds that it would take to replace and AK mag. plus the stripper clips cost about 30c each compared to the $10.00 AK mag and the stripper clips don't really take up any more space than just the ammo by itself. In regards to the folding stock, thanks to the idiotic Clinton so-called "assualt weapons ban", I "beleive" that unless that SKS already had a folding stock on it before the ban took effect it is illegal. And yeah, everyone is going to think "how is anyone going to know what I do to my guns in the privacy of my home" and just go ahead and put a folding stock on the SKS. You might be safe doing this, but I have been told that the ATFE doesn't follow that old rule of "innocent until proven guilty". Instead if you are ever questioned about the folding stock (at the range, or if you took you gun to a gunsmith, etc) I understand you have to PROVE (receipts) that the stock was actually on the gun before the AWB went into effect. JMHO.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SKS is an older design by a designer named Simonov. The AK is the famous reliable design invented by Kalashnikov that supplanted the SKS. SKSs originally had fixed mags whereas the AK has always had hi-cap exchangeables. All those stories you hear about AKs being indestructible shooters? They don't necessarily apply to the Simonov design. SKSs however are attractive if you want a less expensive older design that can be tricked out a bit with changeable mags and such. They are very natural pointers and good shooters. But if you want an AK, you have to buy an AK. Now that the prices of the two guns are nearly identical, it's buyer's choice.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own and like both ... as to a preference ... I own and like both.

Typically the SKS is more accurate and compared to the "low end" AK's they are better made. The SKS has its limitations favoring the fixed mags; While high capacity detachable mags are available for the SKS, it seems few people actually get the SKS to feed reliably with them ... most people find its faster to use the fixed 10 round mag and stripper clips than clearing a jam from the detachable 30 round mags ... as a viable option for more firepower there is a fixed 20 rnd Chinese mag of which I personally never had any problems with.

The SKS also has the advantage of a last round bolt hold-open, which is my biggest complaint about the AK ... when it comes to "ruggedness" or durability, I think both are on equal ground ... both have their advantages and short comings.

Now, if someone would only make a bull-pup kit based on the SKS I could be "happy" [:p]

edit
    BTW -
    The Yugo SKS's for around $100 are a great value ... about the cheapest AK you'll find will cost you 3X that.

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

Topeka.gif
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both the SKS & AK are Russian designed weapons, the SKS was designed
    during WWII and was the first rifle developed by the Russians to use an "intermediate" round. The bolt design uses a tipping bolt design
    and the AK47 uses a rotary locking bolt design. The gas pistons on both rifles are also different, the SKS has a seperate gas piston and
    the AK has the gas piston and bolt carrier in a single unit or assembly. the rear site is of the same design on both rifles but not
    interchangable. The receiver on both rifles is also totally different
    in design as well as the stock, also the AK was designed as a select
    fire fully automatic "assault rifle" that uses detachable magazines.
    The AK is an improvement over the SKS and that is why the SKS became
    obsolete.
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have gone the route of putting all the doo-dads and gidgets on my sks,,even once put a scope on my AK[:o)].
    IMHO,,,they both work their best in their original form.
    One of those stock extensions on the sks is not a bad idea.

Get ya an sks,,a handfull of stripper clips and a bandolier,,,case of ammo and A SIGHT TOOL!!
    Learn to shoot it,,you'll have fun.[^]

,,,[:)]sod

cyclone.gif13a.jpg
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Good info guys! This answers some of my questions I placed on matwor's thread about this same rifle.

I'm long armed, is the extention readily available, and is that the purpose of it?
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the SKS and it is one fun to shoot gun.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally don't own either, but have shot the SKS. It's fun to shoot and with the short stock is very easy to handle. Ammo is cheap too, I bought some wolf at 20 rds. for $2.99. That's cheap entertainment....B.B.
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    I have a nice example of each, Russian SKS in box with all accessories and a PolyTech AK folder with Bakelite furniture.
    If I could only keep one??
    It would be the SKS.
    The SKS is just as much fun to shoot and as far as practicality is concerned, fits a broader range of applications.
    IMHO

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Both have their strong points, I have SKS rifles that have the fixed mags, ones that have aftermarket detachable mags, ones that take the AK mags. With the right mods all will work well. The AK design is far more positive in the cycling department. Between the heavy recoil spring and oversized gasport the AK slams open and closed pretty sharply no matter how dirty they get.

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
    edited November -1
    Cyberdyne: I have shot but never closely inspected or field stripped an AK-47. Are you SURE the bolt is a rotary locking bolt? If yes then that will really surprise me.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    trfox,
    I can say that my AK is a rotary locking bolt.
    That's the toughest part to get back together after stripping down,,, and it's not very hard.

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
    edited November -1
    thanks stanman. I really thought one of the reasons the AK was so darn reliable was because, unlike the M-16, AR-15, the bolt didn't have the added worry of having to be a rotary on each and every shot. And while wwe are on the subject, is there any difference between the stamped receiver and the milled receiver?

• PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I love my sks. And in answer, milled recievers are generally of better quality than stamped.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
    edited November -1
    tr fox, yes the AK has a rotating bolt, the AR15 has a "multi lug" rotary bolt design. The differences between a stamped and a milled
    reciever are the that one is made from thin sheet steel stampings and the other is made from a solid 10 pound forged chunk of steel that has been machined or milled, the milled reciever requires more work to produce and also cost more to make, it's more of an old fashioned way of making firearms. The stamped reciever is durable enough thats why the only milled part is where the locking block is
    located with the barrel, the rest doesnt need to be milled, it just
    adds extra weight. The stamped AK's are more practical and cost effective or modeern, AKM = Automat Kalashnikov Modern
    edited November -1
    I read that it takes over 100 seperate machining steps during the manufacture of a milled AK reciever[8D]
    edited November -1
    Stamped receivers are pressed out and rivited togther, much more easier to produce, the same technology used in a factory that makes
    car jacks can make stamped AK rifles, that would make it possible to have more factories that can make the AK, thats why the AK is probably the most prolific AW ever produced in the world.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cyberdyne systems
    The stamped reciever is durable enough thats why the only milled part is where the locking block is
    located with the barrel, the rest doesnt need to be milled, it just
    adds extra weight.

Exactly right. The first AKs were designed for stamped receivers; the milled receivers were used during a period of manufacturing problems with the stampings. But the milled receivers added about 3 pounds to the gun. As soon as possible, the Russians returned to stamped receivers, which are ideal for the design. Why the milled receiver boat anchors became the collector's AK of choice, I'll never know -- unless it's their scarcity. Some museum curators even call the milled receiver AKs the definitive AK, which based on history is hardly the case. The nominal AK, as designed, seems to me to be a well-made stamped receiver gun. And since the Soviets exported their manufacturing equipment when making guns in other countries, many countries made pretty good quality stamped receiver AKs.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stanman
    trfox,
    I can say that my AK is a rotary locking bolt.

OK, so does mine. Does anyone know the purpose or advantage of the AK rotatong bolt over a traditional SKS or AR-15 bolt?? OBTW, I have both the AK and the SKS and I like them both the same.
    edited November -1
    the AK's bolt is very simplistic and strong and probably works better
    for the full auto design of the AK, the AR15 "multi-lug" design is
    also very strong, because if one lug fails there are still several
    more to hold the bolt closed if one breaks.
    edited November -1
    The multi-lug rotary bolt of the AR15 needs to be kept clean, because
    if it is dirty the bolt may not close fully if the lugs are very dirty, thats why they have the forward assist in case it doesnt close
    all the way and also because the AR doesnt have bolt charging handle
    that can be used to close the bolt manually.

The AK rotaing bolt will still function if dirty and has looser tolerances to handle those types of conditions.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reb,

For the cost of a handgun you can buy both!

Ok but the ak 1st, then the SKS.

Regards,
    190191.gif