In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Newbie in Illinois - How do I get shipments?

Sven61611Sven61611 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Hello everyone,

Forgive me for asking, but I'm new to all this. In searching for ammunition, magazines, etc., I'm finding most sellers will not ship to Illinois. Is there anything I can do to utilize this site and receive shipments?

Thanks for your patience and understanding, it is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• TERI234TERI234 Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iam in Illinois, and will be happy to ship to you, as long as you have a FOID card.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Have them shipped to me.

I'm heading that way in a while, and I'll just drop them off to you.

Better yet, just send the money to me, and hold your breath til I get there.

Doug
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    real nice doug, a bit out of character though

what county are you in, that can also make a big difference, and yes i hope your not in possession of firearms or ammunition with out a foid card
    edited November -1
    Sorry - I just couldn't hep mesef.

Doug
    edited November -1
    I yam too tuff on newbies, sometimes.

Doug
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Never had any troubles. Most will not ship to cook county, but thats not part of Illinois.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Was in the gunshop during MASTERS WEEK. In comes 4 guys from Illinois. THey just about cleaned the place out of ammo. I joking asked to see his foid card. Never did show it to me tho. He said they come down every year and always buy lots of ammo. They only bought the hi-dollar stuff tho. Gold Dot-Hydrashok type of ammo
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had a problem in the past getting shipments. Maybe things have changed...
  • Sven61611Sven61611 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I do have a FOID card, just renewed it in fact. I do not have any weapons or ammunition as yet. Can't get much more "newbie" than that, huh? [:D]

Anyway...I live in Tazewell county. I have several officer friends that I've gone out shooting with recently -- Glock 22 and 23. Apparently I have a knack for target shooting, so they tell me. I outscored a couple of them and it was only my second time shooting. Soooo I thought I'd take it up as a hobby. Who knows, maybe I'll be on Extreme Marksmen on the History Channel someday!! [:D]

My brother-in-law told me about this site, so I thought I'd check it out. I appreciate the whatever knowledge and feedback you can bestow. Thank you!
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to Gun Broker Sven. Be sure to check out the auctions.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sven61611
    Yes I do have a FOID card, just renewed it in fact. I do not have any weapons or ammunition as yet. Can't get much more "newbie" than that, huh? [:D]

Anyway...I live in Tazewell county. I have several officer friends that I've gone out shooting with recently -- Glock 22 and 23. Apparently I have a knack for target shooting, so they tell me. I outscored a couple of them and it was only my second time shooting. Soooo I thought I'd take it up as a hobby. Who knows, maybe I'll be on Extreme Marksmen on the History Channel someday!! [:D]

My brother-in-law told me about this site, so I thought I'd check it out. I appreciate the whatever knowledge and feedback you can bestow. Thank you!

My residence is in Dupage Co and I have bought ammo from Sportsmans Guide, Aim Surplus, and Wideners. You just need to xerox a copy of your Foid and DL and email or fax it to them for their files.

From what I hear, it's tough finding any ammo right now. Most places wont ship to Cook Co (Crook Co)or poopcago. We in IL fight for our rights every year and have won so far. No state wide "assualt rifle" or handgun bans even though those meanies try every 6 month.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is an Foid card? I'm just used to waking up, deciding I want to purchase a firearm and some ammo and driving to the store to get it . Take it home and shoot it.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is an Foid card? I'm just used to waking up, deciding I want to purchase a firearm and some ammo and driving to the store to get it . Take it home and shoot it.

Firearm Owners ID card. Fill out a form (similiar questions as a 4473) send in a passport photo and a check for $10 to the state. 6 weeks later (more or less) the state sends you your card. Need to have a FOID to possess / transport firearms in IL. The card is good for 10 years.

However, our last Govenor, Ryan (imprisoned in WI for almost the same crap as Boybitch) clarified the FOID law before he left office. He made it so a person receiving training or under a FOID card holder's supervision were allowed to handle and shoot firearms without a FOID.

No CCW here yet, however the law allows transportation of cased unloaded firearms. Some have started carrying their pistols in a fanny pack with a separate loaded magazine. I carried one of my pistols cased (unloaded) with loaded mags inside my truck in a briefcase.