In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Working away from home

matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Well I made it to PA. Actually arrived around noon on Friday. Working pretty much 7 days a week although some days are a little more lax than others. The town I'm staying in is actually Malvern. Made it into Philadelphia proper on Sat afternoon and then once again today. Let me say this, I absolutely do not, whatsoever, in any way shape or form, have any intention of ever on Gods green earth plan on living in a big city.[xx(][xx(]

Made an inspection on a home this morning out west of Philly, lots of pretty rolling hills, wooded areas, dairy farms, and Amish populations. Have run across the Amish in MO, but was surprised to see them in such a populated metro area. The horses have actually beaten a groove into the pavement with their hooves.[:D]

Saw a sign out near Lancaster about a gunshow, anyone going, and I didn't catch the date, I think somewhere around the 20th. If theres time in my schedule there is a possibility I might go. We'll see.

Comments

• Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad your working again! Buy a Philly cheesesteak for me!
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lancaster is a bit of a drive but I maybe able to make it out that way for a gunshow and lunch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by txlawdog
    I'm glad your working again! Buy a Philly cheesesteak for me!

You think it will still be good by the time it got to you?!?!?
  • Options
    btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    Well I made it to PA. Actually arrived around noon on Friday. Working pretty much 7 days a week although some days are a little more lax than others. The town I'm staying in is actually Malvern. Made it into Philadelphia proper on Sat afternoon and then once again today. Let me say this, I absolutely do not, whatsoever, in any way shape or form, have any intention of ever on Gods green earth plan on living in a big city.[xx(][xx(]

Made an inspection on a home this morning out west of Philly, lots of pretty rolling hills, wooded areas, dairy farms, and Amish populations. Have run across the Amish in MO, but was surprised to see them in such a populated metro area. The horses have actually beaten a groove into the pavement with their hooves.[:D]

Saw a sign out near Lancaster about a gunshow, anyone going, and I didn't catch the date, I think somewhere around the 20th. If theres time in my schedule there is a possibility I might go. We'll see.

Did you not see the slow moving vehicle triangle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by btk

HAHAHA, yeah that and the blinking lights on the rear of the buggies. Must be packin' a battery.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I done that working away from home for over 20 years making alot less money now but enjoying life alot more missed a lot of good times with the family in the old career
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Lots of pretty countryside in that part of the world. Philly is a pit, but I always enjoyed a good pit or two....
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by btk

HAHAHA, yeah that and the blinking lights on the rear of the buggies. Must be packin' a battery.

Go to pats in south philly, most unhealthy but best tasteing sandwich on earth[^]
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure about Lancaster, but my wife and I went to a gun show in King of Prussia, PA back in the late 70's. Our impression was that the people around there were the most rude, cold, obnoxious, and clammy looking people on the planet!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    mrankhmrankh Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats about 280 miles away from me, if it was a little closer i might consider going.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    I'm not sure about Lancaster, but my wife and I went to a gun show in King of Prussia, PA back in the late 70's. Our impression was that the people around there were the most rude, cold, obnoxious, and clammy looking people on the planet!

King of Prussia is right around the corner from where we are staying, was there on Sat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

Philly is a pit,

I know what you mean, I drove past this pit just today.[xx(][xx(][}:)][}:)]

202934a2.jpg

4deab1a1.jpg
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, I'm glad you're workin', mijo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Randy, take care mi amigo!
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like fun to get out and see something different...I would love to do that myself sometime. Congrats!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Philly is a pit,

202934a2.jpg

4deab1a1.jpg

No grenade?
  • Options
    jamaal.schenkjamaal.schenk Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice to hear that you are working :)
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How long you out there for?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeez, sky out here is blue, that is awful looking! Glad you are back working, sorry it is so far from the hacienda. Hope there will be a break around early April, but sure understand if not.

Made a trip up that way on the Penn turnpike from St. Louis overnight one year, and got into Penn in the morning. Tired of the pike I found a blue hiway that paralleled it and went two lane for an hour our so. The road follow a little valley for a bit and down a long a small stream into a little town, across a bridge and up the valley on the other side of the stream. The water was clear and the bottom rocky. Saw a couple of guys in ties, vests and waders getting in a few casts with flies before work. That detour made the trip. Hang tough and stay safe out there among the English.
  • Options
    militaria1918militaria1918 Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been in the Harrisburg area as a re enactor on occasion. PA is very nice country.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At this point it looks like I should be home around mid-March. Plenty of time to meet a coupla buddies in T-town.[;)].

And sadly no btk, I did not have a grenade along with, and the traffic was too much to even stop and spit in that direction.[;)]
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mat, there is a big gun show in harrisburg on the 19th of march. It is the largest show for us in the east. If you want to go, let me know and I will meet you and drive up. Its about two hours from philly but well worth it. John
  • Options
    edited November -1

Philly is a pit,

202934a2.jpg

4deab1a1.jpg

The arm pit of the east coast. I wouldnt take my worst enemy to that stadium.
  • Options
    edited November -1

MY wife is amish and from lancaster. It is really cool to go back there and see her family. They live in a farm house with no electric and running water. Needless to say we stay at the hampton inn when we go to visit. She was shuned by most of her family but her sisters and brothers still talk to us. Strange way of life but still cool none the less.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Amish didn't move near the metros, the urban sprawl surrounded the Amish communities. It wasn't that long ago when you could drive from Philly to Lancaster to Reading to Allentown and mostly see farm land. Malvern, Pottstown, Lansdale, Willow Grove were little blips on the map where you could stop and fuel up and grab a soda. Now, that area is all suburbia.

March is a good month for gun shows in the area. 5-6 Mar = Carlisle, 12-13 Mar = Leesport, 12-13 Mar = Allentown (I may make that one, along with NJRetCop & MRS), 19-20 Mar = Harrsiburg.

Post up here if you can swing one of them. The kids have activities the next several weekends but I would be damn proud to meet up with you and hopefully some other members.

Actually, I think we're doing a Cub Scout field trip to Cabelas in Hamburg this Sunday afternoon/evening. They have guns, food and lots of stuffed animals.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    What job are you on?
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At this point it looks like I should be home around mid-March. Plenty of time to meet a coupla buddies in T-town.[;)].

And sadly no btk, I did not have a grenade along with, and the traffic was too much to even stop and spit in that direction.[;)]

Cool we'll have to get together in April.