In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 opinion

longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
Went to my annual cowboy shoot last week & tried the wild bunch action shoot. Now I'm hooked. Looking at a new Rem. 1911. Are they any good or reliable? Any experiance or opinion?

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by longspur rider
    Went to my annual cowboy shoot last week & tried the wild bunch action shoot. Now I'm hooked. Looking at a new Rem. 1911. Are they any good or reliable? Any experiance or opinion?

Getting up there in price to where you can probably find a very serviceable Colt.

For less expensive, I love my Rock Island. $400 or less for the basic GI model.
  • Options
    PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I don't own one but I do want one.

I own an RIA and has been a very good tool for me w/no problems.

Reading a number of forum boards across the 'net on the R1 I've seen very few complaints. 90+% love the gun as is.
    There are others that want to make or see changes and they are the same people that own custom, max. tweaked, purpose guns.

I apologise that I can't give a report on any experience w/the gun.

My opinion is that it looks like a good entery level/price .45acp as good as the aforementioned RIA.

If there's a range nearby that rents guns, I'd go see if they have one and give it a test run for an hour.[;)]
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're gonna do CAS with a 1911 then ya gotta put it in a rig appropriate for it--like this[:D]http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/catid/22/pid/25419/Mernickle__Wild_Bunch__1911_Holster [:D]
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I shot I borrowed a Taurus 911 from a fellow shooter. It jammed on me in the last stage of the shoot. After fooling around with the gun that seemed like an eternity I took a 5 dead round penalty. I still didn't finish last. Enough to get me hooked. I can pick up a new Kimber custom for $750 through one of the organizations I belong to. Don't know if that's good or bad.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ParaUSA. Get one.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by longspur rider
    When I shot I borrowed a Taurus 911 from a fellow shooter. It jammed on me in the last stage of the shoot. After fooling around with the gun that seemed like an eternity I took a 5 dead round penalty. I still didn't finish last. Enough to get me hooked. I can pick up a new Kimber custom for $750 through one of the organizations I belong to. Don't know if that's good or bad.

a $750 Kimber is a deal in my book, especially if new. Please let me know what orginization I can join to get a $750 Kimber
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    the para gi expert is one of the best values available now. a very basic gun that accepts all the commonly available parts upgrades. has a great trigger out of the box.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    the para gi expert is one of the best values available now. a very basic gun that accepts all the commonly available parts upgrades. has a great trigger out of the box.

Was looking at one while I was home. Think it was selling for $580 brand new. Seemed like a good deal.

Nice sights and good trigger.

There's a youtube vid floating around of a 1000rd test fire of the GI Expert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFF0TbhgQMY