In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Walther P1 - Now a C&R Pistol.

worstenemy453worstenemy453 Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do too and should've gotten my C&R a long time ago.
  • Options
    coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    Wish I was 21, had a C&R, and the money to get the gun. That's on my list of things to do the day I turn 21. Sign up for CCL class, go to sheriff's department, get pistol permits, but pistols, and get my papers for a C&R license. I really like those pistols, and for $300 that looks like a decent price.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be sure to get a P-1 with the Steel Pin installed to prevent Cracking.
    The Alloy Frame can not stand up to the constant pressure of the Slide hitting the stop.

P1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What kinda ammo were you using?
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow. That is odd. German gun quality is usually better than that. Plus, many 9mm pistols have been made with alloy frames since the 1950s without problems.

I have never seen or heard of a P38 with a broken frame like that. Could this be an isolated incident? Perhaps that particular gun was used with overly hot ammo or maybe the frame had a manufacturing flaw?

Very cool that the P1 is now C&R. Makes it legal to sell to our friends caught behind the iron curtain in CA (if any sellers will actually sell to them).
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    Wow. That is odd. German gun quality is usually better than that. Plus, many 9mm pistols have been made with alloy frames since the 1950s without problems.

I have never seen or heard of a P38 with a broken frame like that. Could this be an isolated incident? Perhaps that particular gun was used with overly hot ammo or maybe the frame had a manufacturing flaw?

Very cool that the P1 is now C&R. Makes it legal to sell to our friends caught behind the iron curtain in CA (if any sellers will actually sell to them).

IIRC it has something to do with the alloy frame, and the higher pressure NATO loadings of the 9mm.

The steel frame P38's didn't have this problem.

I have read reports of British Hi-Power frames cracking from continued use of the 9mm NATO/Radway Green loading.

I have both a P1 and a UK surplus Hi-Power, I use regular 115gr loads with no prob (the NATO stuff is 124gr IIRC)
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Walther marked pistol with the slide dated 1961 and is stamped P38. Was the P38 made that late or is this called the P1 even though it's stamped P38?
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    I have a Walther marked pistol with the slide dated 1961 and is stamped P38. Was the P38 made that late or is this called the P1 even though it's stamped P38?

The commercial P38 was made into the 1980's IIRC

The P1 was West German Army's (Bundeswehr) designation for the pistol

SOme commercial P38's were steel frame, but they command a lot more $$$ than the alloy ones
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Samco Global Arms recomends these P1's not be fired with their MG 9mm:
    https://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammo-9mm-ball.html

I wonder if that P1 above is one of the ones that cracked as result of over pressure mg ammo from Samco.