In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Calling All Letter Carriers

Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Got a question for you. Today was the second day this month that nobody on the block got mail....are you folks REQUIRED to deliver the mail 6 days a week? I noticed also that the local post office has started to close on Saturdays, and the pickup window is only open M-F 1100-1300 hrs.

Either I am sensing even poorer customer service, or after me calling the manager a pin-headed government employee for having 31 people standing in line and only putting 1 cashier at the desk, they now see me coming and close the doors.

Comments

• shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    its the post office and in Odessa what did you expect [?]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been noticing a lot of Tue/Thu no mail. Local has been closed on Sat forever. But can pick up packages by Knocking on the door. Or that was the way it was. Our Postmaster Retired all new folks now.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootlow
    its the post office and in Odessa what did you expect [?]

I am just curious if they are required to deliver it 6 days a week, or if that crotchedy old dude in the Pith helmut that comes around, gets sick, does he have someone to cover him? My auctions closed and I am waiting for checks to come in.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    Been noticing a lot of Tue/Thu no mail. Local has been closed on Sat forever. But can pick up packages by Knocking on the door. Or that was the way it was. Our Postmaster Retired all new folks now.

Good thing to know that soon the same group of dedicated government employees will be helping us out with our medical decisions.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't get the shipment of magnesium you were expecting?[:D]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    Didn't get the shipment of magnesium you were expecting?[:D]

Already replaced that. I am storing it in my wifes washing machine....occasionally, if it rains, I load it up in the pickup and drive it around town....You would be surprised, but that kind of thing fits right in with the locals.[:D][:D][:D]
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tuseday is the typically slow mail day. I do work 6 days a week and if I take a day off I have sub to cover.Any day you don't get mail is a day you get no bills![:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    Tuseday is the typically slow mail day. I do work 6 days a week and if I take a day off I have sub to cover.Any day you don't get mail is a day you get no bills![:D]

Well, okie dokie. Just curious....nobody on the block got mail today. Guess we all just didn't get anything today....OR, its a conspiracy!!

Tinfoil-1.jpg
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're never gonna believe this, but . . . . .

I'm your letter carrier. I had a very heavy parcel for you, but as I was turning onto your block, my truck was hit by lightning. I think you know the rest . . . . . [:D][:D][:D]

burningllv.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldslammer
    You're never gonna believe this, but . . . . .

I'm your letter carrier. I had a very heavy parcel for you, but as I was turning onto your block, my truck was hit by lightning. I think you know the rest . . . . . [:D][:D][:D]

burningllv.jpg

Damn...its almost like Deja Vu!!!!
  • Stink FootStink Foot Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be one of them dat blamed conperacies. Yep
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I'm long retired (Thus the name Gruntled) but there were rare times we curtailed delivery of the mail. In most cases most of the route was delivered but for some reason not all. Flooding from a sudden heavy rain in one instance & the L.A. riots in another but the most common & likely reason is a dog or dogs loose that made delivery unsafe.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they were so ashamed of the last stamp increase that they cannot bear to be seen in public
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got lots of mail Saturday. Mine, the next door neighbors', and my neighbor's at the end of the street. I notice though that I haven't got any on the last couple of Tuesdays. Unusual. Wonder whose turn it was that day.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    I got lots of mail Saturday. Mine, the next door neighbors', and my neighbor's at the end of the street. I notice though that I haven't got any on the last couple of Tuesdays. Unusual. Wonder whose turn it was that day.

Sure would fix things if we could get a few different companies to compete for mail service.
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    Cliff Clavin has been over at Cheeres pulling a all nighter with Norm so he called in sick. Anyone ever watch the Cheers episode when Cliff delivers the mail to the four appartments then all the doors open and the residents exchange mail.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Post Office is laying off too. I hear they were trying to go to 5 days a week to save money. Not sure it ever happened.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    The Post Office is laying off too. I hear they were trying to go to 5 days a week to save money. Not sure it ever happened.

They were trying to do that when I hired on & I retired 12 years ago.
    I should think that three day delivery would make more sense.
    Half would get Mon/Wed/Fri & half Tues/Thurs/Sat with as many bussinesses as possible in the first group. Those who felt they needed more could have P.O. boxes or pay for private delivery. (Many companies already do that.)
    I remember when I was a kid they delivered twice a day. We were still using the same cases but with two houses per slot. (Case letters to left & right.) I think it must have been very good when you had so many fewer people on your route, almost everyone in the house had the same last name & there was usually someone home so you got to know the people much better. Far less UBBM (Useless bulk bussiness mail) as well but then they had FAR more magazines.
    The routes now are even longer since they went to DPS. (Delivery Point Sequencing) where most of the mail comes presorted.
    The carrier now has to work two bundles of letter mail in their hand
    (DPS & residual) plus flats, packages, non-addressed fliers (Advo i.e.) & accountable mail which must be kept seperate. The proverbial
    one armed paperhanger has it easy by comparison.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    quote:Originally posted by drobs

They were trying to do that when I hired on & I retired 12 years ago.
    I should think that three day delivery would make more sense.
    Half would get Mon/Wed/Fri & half Tues/Thurs/Sat with as many bussinesses as possible in the first group. Those who felt they needed more could have P.O. boxes or pay for private delivery. (Many companies already do that.)
    I remember when I was a kid they delivered twice a day. We were still using the same cases but with two houses per slot. (Case letters to left & right.) I think it must have been very good when you had so many fewer people on your route, almost everyone in the house had the same last name & there was usually someone home so you got to know the people much better. Far less UBBM (Useless bulk bussiness mail) as well but then they had FAR more magazines.
    The routes now are even longer since they went to DPS. (Delivery Point Sequencing) where most of the mail comes presorted.
    The carrier now has to work two bundles of letter mail in their hand
    (DPS & residual) plus flats, packages, non-addressed fliers (Advo i.e.) & accountable mail which must be kept seperate. The proverbial
    one armed paperhanger has it easy by comparison.

My most recent company shared a cafeteria with the PO's legal and corporate office in IL. The building was completely unmarked and housed all their lawyers and higher up positions -- heard some inside info. They where constantly laying these guys off or moving them to different positions. Most of these guys thought a shift to 5 days a week delivery would be the way to save money. Besides who wants bills on the weekend?

Immagine it would cause the welfare recipients to riot if they didn't get their check on the normal day.