In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

DPMS Panther opinions

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
I got a hankerin for an AR-10, are these any good or is there a better platform?

Comments

• Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    I can only speak for the DPMS being it's the only AR in 308 that I have experience with. It's a tack driver right out of the box. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    hafta use there mags..the rockriver uses fal mags
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have 4 dpms ar15's, i have zero complaints, and most of the ar10's use different magazines anyway, there is no standard for ar10 magazines for some reason, but....

the dpms magazines are interchangeable with, remington r-25, LaRue Tactical, POF P-308, JP Enterprises, at 40-50 bucks a mag, so if the price of the gun suits you, with the saving you can buy mags, unless the cost of fal mags at half that price appeal to you
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone will tell you there is better ... I have no doubt.

This is my opinion ... I've had a Knights/Stoner SR-25, Armalite AR10 A4 and currently own a DPMS LR308 with the stainless fulted barrel.

I wish I'd never sold the Stoner but I'm completely happy with my DPMS ... which is more than I can say about the Armalite I owned. I did upgrade the trigger to a RRA 2-stage and it is very accurate.

By the way the original AR10's, the Stoner and DPMS use the same mags and Magpul makes that replacement mag as well. The newer Armalite rifles (made in the last 15 or so years) use either a modified M14 mag or thier own mag body but I've heard Armalite is making a lower that will use the Stoner/DPMS/Magpul mag too ... it seems the battle of the AR10 mag has been setteled.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to recall reading the Rock River FAL mag gun had/has issues.
    I'd do a little more research before jumping on that one.
  • Options
    17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My buddy has a DPMS chambered in .243 Winchester and it is awesome. It is a tack driver and seems to be of high quality. I had a DPMS on order a few years ago, but the lead time on the order was more than 6 months, so I purchased a Bushmaster, which my dealer had in stock. I have had no issues with the Bushmaster. I currently have a Rock River upper on order.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimberkid
    Someone will tell you there is better ... I have no doubt.

By the way the original AR10's, the Stoner and DPMS use the same mags and Magpul makes that replacement mag as well. The newer Armalite rifles (made in the last 15 or so years) use either a modified M14 mag or thier own mag body but I've heard Armalite is making a lower that will use the Stoner/DPMS/Magpul mag too ... it seems the battle of the AR10 mag has been setteled.

i knew one of them did, wasnt sure who it was, and didnt want to stick my foot in my mouth [8D]
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the DPMS LR .308 carbine,wish I would have bought the 20inch barrel,but it does what I need it to do.Will not function with cavim ammo,but its the ammo not the rifle,everything else it shoots great.Magss are expensive as stated,I would recommend it.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a DPMS LR308 AP-4.
    Never a problem one with it. Out of the box they are VERY tight, lets say![;)]

The C Products mags work fine in mine, and are considerably cheaper than DPMS mags.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

The C Products mags work fine in mine, and are considerably cheaper than DPMS mags.

Thanks Mark will have to check out the C Product mags
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hdcolt51
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Thanks Mark will have to check out the C Product mags

I think Midway has them for about $15.99, but they are frequently on backorder.

44Mag.com has some OEM DPMS for 29 bucks on close-out.
    Magpul is making a 20 round Pmag for them as well, but I have not used one to date,......only in 5.56
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Armalite AR10 with the 18" barrel, Lonnie. No complaints. It's a flat top and I change back and forth with optics and iron sights. Shoots as accurate as my M1A1 heavy barrel.

Can't go wrong with the DPMS either.

Good luck & good shooting.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunpaq, an M1a is in the works as well! From what I have read and so far from the opinions here it looks like DPMS is the way to go. Now I need some gadgets [:D]

Any recs on night vision scopes?
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the Night Optics Gen III for years without complaint mounted on a Rock River .308. Best hog killin' rig I have ever used.

Spendy though @ $3,800 or so.
  • Options
    realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    dpms is great out of the box.... sure there are better and more expensive. but bang for buck is dpms!
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 5.56/.223 I own a colt lower/DPMS upper (16" lightweight), a bushmaster lower/DS arms upper (14.5 pinned), a Stag lower/bushmaster upper (20" hbar, bullet button), and a Stag lower/colt upper (16" post-ban, bullet button). Honestly, all seem to work just fine both mixed and matched as well as matching the brand lower/upper. So far all are as accurate as I can be with them, and nothing has broken on any of them.

I'm saying if it's mil-spec, there's a pretty good chance it'll compare with any other, and outside of proprietary magazines, will exchange parts with any other as well. IMO a lot of it is based on what the person has in his safe being "better" than the others in the racks, or his/her opinion on the "resale value" for a brand-name.

Don't get me wrong, there are some makes/models that come with match barrels, high-end match components, etc...I've had those, too and they are nicer to shoot tight groupd with (My old Colt accurized Ar-15 (24" SS bbl, bipod, 6x24x50 scope) was an honest 1/2" 100 yard 10-shot grouper with Federal match.

But for an out of the box, joe six-pack rifle that'll do almost anything you want an AR-10 to do, the DPMS should hold up to any other mil-spec gun you can find.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    Gunpaq, an M1a is in the works as well! From what I have read and so far from the opinions here it looks like DPMS is the way to go. Now I need some gadgets [:D]

Any recs on night vision scopes?

I was gonna chime in that you need to get yourself an M1A.
    But didn't want to go off topic on the AR10 love.

For optics - AR10 is the way to go.