In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Someone telling meI can ship a gun to them????

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,693 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in General Discussion
You guys ever really looked into the shipping issue....there is a guy who wants me to ship a gun directly to him. I am not going to, but I just wondered just how many people he has gotten to do this. The guy is saying according to the "second paragraph" you can ship to someone in your state.

The guy is just insane if he thinks I will do this....even if there is a loop hole of some kind. I don't have the hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend myself in court.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's telling you the truth,look it up. [^] [:)]
  • Options
    springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In wisconsin I can walk in to any gun
    store buy a long gun, do the paper work
    and get it shipped to me at my house
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    You guys ever really looked into the shipping issue....there is a guy who wants me to ship a gun directly to him. I am not going to, but I just wondered just how many people he has gotten to do this. The guy is saying according to the "second paragraph" you can ship to someone in your state.

The guy is just insane if he thinks I will do this....even if there is a loop hole of some kind. I don't have the hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend myself in court.
    yes it is true inside the same state you can ship a firearm to the guy
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I'd be asking a lawyer if that were true in this case.

For all you know, that's one of OBLs 700 brothers trying to get you to ship the gun.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey- a radical idea. Go to ATF.GOV and read what they have to say.
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Yes, its legal. Shipping to an FFL only applies when you're shipping across state lines; i.e. interstate commerce.

But, since you're so dead set on giving this guy a hard time, even though it is fully legal, why even bother posting about it?
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, it all depends on how you get your hair cut. If its long and straight, you have to ship to an FFL, if its short and curly, you can send guns to guys in the state prison.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as a safety gesture, i always have the guy im shipping it to in my state, send a copy of his drivers license. some ex-con/fellon could be an out of towner using a friends 'in state' address as a shipping point, to get them back across the line that way. a p.o. address is usually a dead give-away.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    prangleprangle Member Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Long Guns Only.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Under federal law it's fine to ship a handgun or long gun directly to the buyer within your state but check state law.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    This is from the ATF FAQ page

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b17

B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
    used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
    carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wonder if this rule would apply to ultra-liberal states like NY, NJ, CA, etc... Probably not.[B)]
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to contact your own state dept of justice or whatever they call it and check with them. Although federal law may say 'yes'; state law may say 'no'. Example would be a state like ny, or ca, etc...
  • Options
    HDRIDERHDRIDER Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork

Read the, "LAW" Don't make it anymore complicated than it already is!!!!! [:p]
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't try it in California, obviously. Our state issues you a tinfoil hat when you enter and your satellite locator chip imbedded in place of our spines tracks it's use and your movements constantly.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    interstate shipment of guns is allowed by the atf from one state resident to another provided you are not an ffl dealer.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You mean intrastate (within the state), not interstate (across the line into another state.

65gto289- I said to check state laws and CA for sure would ban it since all gun sales must go through an FFL. Except for C&R long guns which are exempt and can be shipped directly. C&R pistols are treated the same as modern pistols by CA law and must go through a 001 FFL.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ya know the guy asked a question he was concerned about, and i for one feel good when i have the ability to actually answer a question, and help someone, and not with some of the responses that are in this thread, i myself like to think that we are here to help fellow gun owners, not ridicule them into shame, we all started somewhere, we where not born knowing these laws, and rights

i myself would not feel comfortable doing it regardless of if it was legal, i believe in CYA, a total stranger?, no way if he doesn't want to help CMA by going through an ffl, then i don't need his business
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't do it. How do you know this guy isn't a teenager? He's in the same state, how far? Could you drive it there yourself?