In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

does the word"MARINE" scare employers?

0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
since ive moved up to Seattle i have been unemployed.spending everyday filling out applications and making phone calls.I have had few interviews so far .ive gone to job fairs etc.for my interviews i dress up super nice, suit tie etc.when the employer goes over the employment history part and see's i'm still in the Marine Corps and i'am a reservist with 5 years active duty and 3 years in the active reserves.they get kinda "nervous".i'm in no way a scarey person i'm clean cut except for my little goatee i grow out before and after my drill periods.

alot of business say i dont qualify for employment in there stores.are they saying that because of the word "Marine".
i think it is truly wrong that a member of the armed forces cant get a job at a store because he does have the qualifications?but a high school student can?THIS JOB HUNTING IS REALLY STRESSING ME OUT ALOT I REALLY NEED TO GET A JOB BAD,RENT IS COMING UP SOON.

WITH THESE KNOCK DOWNS I HAVE BEEN GETTING.WAS IT OR IS IT BEEN REALLY WORTH IT PUTTING MY BUTT ON THE LINE SERVING THIS COUNTRY GETTING SHOT AT IN FOREIN COUNTRIES.PROTECTING OUR COUNTRY JUST TO BE TURNED DOWN ALL THE TIME FOR NOT BEING QUALIFIED TO EVEN WORK AT GI JOES,EDDIE BAUR,LOWES,AND AMBERCROMBIE AND FITCH.EVEN THOU A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT CAN WORK THERE WITH NO EXPEREINCE.
NO WONDER SOME VETRENS BECOME HOMELESS...............[?]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
SEMPER FI

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to disapoint you but my nephew just got out of the marines after 6 years and got a job with General Dynamics. Good pay no brains. But that was him.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They may not be so scared that you are a Marine. It may more be an issue that you are still in the reserves and they are scared that you will get called up and they'll have to hold the job open for you while you are back on active duty. I know at my unit we have reservists that have been on active duty since around 9-11. It has to be that way, but I'll bet their employers are getting anxious to have them back. Hang in there.
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    They may fear your future deployment possibilities. Many employers have really felt the burn since the NG/USAR picked up quite the heavy rucksack for the OIF MSN. Just my $.02

Have you tried any of the defense contractors up there? May be a good place to seek employment as well. Best of luck.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    MAYBE I SHOULD CHECK INTO SOME OF THOSE CONSTUCTION JOBS,I DO HAVE EXPERIENCE WORKING CONSTRUCTION.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    quote:does the word "MARINE" scare employers?

Scares me, whenever I hear it I never bend over to pick anything up, I kick it all the way home[:D][:o)][;)][:p]

JuJu(just kidding, you know how I feel about all our veterans and active duty personnel)
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 0311marine

does the word "MARINE" scare employers?

I wouldn't count on getting a waiter job at a Vietnamese restaurant.

juju: Great to see you back!
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Quinn, I have an idea for you. Some here don't care much for cops, but PD's and SO's hire vets quicker than they hire people off the street. Fire Dept's do too.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    It's probably cause you don't smile like this [:)] or even this [^]. In reality with the wars we have going on they don't want to go through the hassle and then see you sent out for ten months to a year. Construction crews are use to high turnover and vets are generally petty reliable as far as showing up for work goes. Helps you stay in shape too.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While technically illegal, I'd agree with some of the above posters in that a lot of it is because of your reserve status. Depending on certain factors, if you're ever activated and deployed, an employer can be required to hold your job or provide you with an equivalent one when you return. This can cause the employer some headache.
    As someone pointed out, some employers are a little more accepting of this than others...defense contractors, federal govt jobs, the NRA, etc.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Actually, he is smiling in this shot (but you could use some instruction on cropping photos and reducing file sizes
    100_0091.jpg

It's 151KB. Could have done it in 50KB. and cropped it, getting it down to 12KB.

But yes, a smile is there.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    first off a tip of my hat to the clowns DancesWithSheep & juju. good chuckle first thing in the morning.

marine does not scare me, it causes me to have more respect for an employee if he has served our country. Yes the reserves duty would make me think twice these days, but it's hard to tell. I have hired one MARINE and he was transferred to another department after about 8 months. I have not encountered a more hard headed argumentive employee ever. I gave up trying to make him understand and got tired of explaining myself all the time. He would have been fired if he didn't have good qualities for the other department.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does he have to tell employers about his reserve status?

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I had a buddy who was in the guard tell me that he didn't put that on his applications for similar reasons but that he wasn't required too. Is this right?

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    It is not just the word Marine. It is also what you did in the Marines. I am a 2862 (Ground Radio Tech). I had 3 offers in the 75k range before I reenlisted. If you were a 0311, you don't have much techenial skills other than scurity.

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    It is not a fear factor as much as it is an intimidation factor. For others it is just the fact you were in the military and that turns them off. Life is not fair. We just have to deal with it. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My oldest brother had a difficult time getting a job after he was out of the military as well. A couple potential employers even flat out stated they were concerned about his 'ablity to re-adapt to civilian state of mind' or somesuch nonsense. After a few months of looking for work, he finally made the move to law enforcement and it's worked very well for him since. Happened with my father too. I figure with your experience, you'd probably make a good asset for a law enforcement agency near you if that was your interest.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Any job that requires management to depend highly on the employee's ability to act independently without instruction, or requires a high level of trust would be highly suited to a Marine, in my opinion. Retail stores pay big bucks for security staff. I'd check into that, probably be fun also. Independant security firms are all over the nation, could be right up your alley also.
    Ben
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    The word "Marine" doesn't scare anybody but Air Force people.

Maybe these potential employers are concerned about the intellect of anyone who would join the Marines??

This is a good-natured poke at you. I respect you and what you have done in Service to our Country. As I respect all the Marines who came before you. And all of our Brothers in Arms.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    By the way, how much do you need?

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not trying to knock you. Heck, it probably helps you fit into the Seattle scene better. I've spent a good bit of time in Seattle myself. However, do you take the body piercing out before you go to interviews and job fairs?

My dad always told me something about * hair. It will never help you get a job or a sale and sometimes it can hurt you.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I'd think keeping track of that Blonde would be a Full-Time Job.[;)]
  • gunrunner1911gunrunner1911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem is your over qualified to be a janitor and they know you'll scrub the chrome off the fixtures without any one asking or further instruction. That's SCARY !!!!!!!!![;)]
    1990 to 1996 7051 Crash Crew and PMI as a 2nd mOS for 2yrs. Way to many field days to count.[:D] Good luck check into security work. I was offered a job by a firm that did undercover work for stores and companies. They get you hired at the store and only the manager knows who you are, you snoop and poop find out who's lifting the goods off the back dock or selling drugs and bust them. It sounded great I went through the process and almost took the job till my boss gave me $2 more an hour and begged me to stay besides no nights and weekends. If not for that I would have done it.
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    If they don't hire you exclusively because you are a Marine, then they are unpatriotic scum. I would hire you in an instant. I would rather have someone with focus and discipline than some slacker.
    Employers often discriminate against soldiers, and its the same soldiers who defend their right to practice free commerce. For that , they will burn in hell.

Member: NRA, RFC, John Birch Society.
    50pic.jpg
    124L.gif
    597lr_sm.jpg
    rfcmember.gifnraseal.jpgvo_large.jpg
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    I'm not trying to knock you. Heck, it probably helps you fit into the Seattle scene better. I've spent a good bit of time in Seattle myself. However, do you take the body piercing out before you go to interviews and job fairs?

My dad always told me something about * hair. It will never help you get a job or a sale and sometimes it can hurt you.

the peircing was a lost bet.i took everything out

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was more or less hounded out of a job once they found out that I was a combat vet. Now, I don't even disclose my vet status on my applications anymore.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"